Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by armouredant
Yes, absolutely rumbled. Here's another guitar-toting tale of a GCH... flying LAN domestic in Chile, at the front of the priority line, just as they began to board pax, I was told that I would have to wait until literally every other passenger on the plane had boarded before I take my guitar as carry-on. I was astounded - is that entitled DYKWIA behaviour?
taking a guitar onboard is not a right. Double Bass players have to buy an extra seat for their instruments if they want them upstairs.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:59 am

The thing that really gets to me is when you say your in the front row or in the exit row and they say 'it doesn't matter you still need to put it in the seat infont of you. It's just annoying but I've never been rude about it.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Calum
The thing that really gets to me is when you say your in the front row or in the exit row and they say 'it doesn't matter you still need to put it in the seat infont of you. It's just annoying but I've never been rude about it.
I've used this line successfully twice in the past. Both times I was mistaken or incorrect (due to an equipment change) and was in a non-exit seat!

Tag or not my laptop bag goes under the seat in front. I have short legs and there's plenty of space for them and the bag.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by Calum
Or you show them your boarding pass which says you are travelling in First to which they respond with "it still has to go under the seat in front". I tend to just accept the tag now.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Diver Boy
Or you show them your boarding pass which says you are travelling in First to which they respond with "it still has to go under the seat in front". I tend to just accept the tag now.
Do they tell the captain the same?
Cotumely likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
taking a guitar onboard is not a right. Double Bass players have to buy an extra seat for their instruments if they want them upstairs.
Rather troublesome to fit a double bass in the overhead locker, though.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I've seen a number of people attempt larger items in what I would refer to as the "hand luggage dance" (take it on, be REALLY surprised it doesn't fit, get it in hold for free).
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
While I agree that in many cases the tags are a silly superfluity, I do have a lot of sympathy for the poor b staff who have been tasked with handing them out.

They're not paid a lot and have to put up with abuse from self-important nobodies who think they can speak to them any way they like just because they have a bit of shiny plastic in their pocket

The true "gentleman" would have graciously accepted the tag then quietly ignored it...
Cotumely likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by Fitch
While I agree that in many cases the tags are a silly superfluity, I do have a lot of sympathy for the poor b staff who have been tasked with handing them out.

They're not paid a lot and have to put up with abuse from self-important nobodies who think they can speak to them any way they like just because they have a bit of shiny plastic in their pocket

The true "gentleman" would have graciously accepted the tag then quietly ignored it...
^This.

They clearly have been told/bullied/cajoled into doing this and it's not fair to treat them so harshly. Complain to BA by all means but give the guys a break! It's no bother to just take it and then 'lose' it.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:41 am

A guitar takes up a lot of space too and similar to a double bass could be placed in the hold in a hard shell case. If the overheads are full where do you suggest the guitar should go? The guitar is definitely outside the size guidelines for handbaggage so why should BA inconvenience many who have complied with the guidelines to allow a guitar - outside the guidelines - to be carried in the cabin? Inconvenience one? Or many? The one who hasn't played by the rules?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Waterhorse taking a guitar onboard is not a right. Double Bass players have to buy an extra seat for their instruments if they want them upstairs.
armouredant are you seriously suggesting you should always be allowed to take your guitar on board and store it overhead?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Fitch

Very true. I used to go through the 'I'm in a bulkhead/exit' routine with them but came to realise a) it's not worth the hassle and b) it's not their fault and they have to do it, so if they ask I just say 'sure, go for it...thanks'

That said, if it's not exit or bulkhead (or longhaul J/F obviously) then my laptop bag goes under the seat (usually the blocked middle seat these days but hey). The arrogance of people who feel entitled to put all their bags, coat and suit jacket in the locker on busy flights just leaves me shaking my head...
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
flying LAN domestic in Chile, at the front of the priority line, just as they began to board pax, I was told that I would have to wait until literally every other passenger on the plane had boarded before I take my guitar as carry-on. I was astounded - is that entitled DYKWIA behaviour?
I have to say this sounds really sensible behaviour, even though it'll fit in the locker it's going to take the space of several carry on bags. Allowing it if there's still space after people have taken their fair allowance seems reasonable service, I can see lots of airlines saying you can either check it or book a seat for it.

Maybe after the other passengers in your cabin if you're in J would be a sensible compromise too but generally allowing your outside item if possible after everybody has had their allowed items seems reasonable to me.

I've previously bought a new carry on case after security and hence turned up to the gate with two big cases. BA ground and cabin crew were very understanding surprisingly (I expected to be told to check one immediately) and said I could board and they'd keep it at the front while boarding completed then it could stay if there was space otherwise they'd check it for me. They ended up putting a crew bag in the cockpit I believe and mine in the space that made, good service all round that day...
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
A guitar takes up a lot of space too and similar to a double bass could be placed in the hold in a hard shell case. If the overheads are full where do you suggest the guitar should go? The guitar is definitely outside the size guidelines for handbaggage so why should BA inconvenience many who have complied with the guidelines to allow a guitar - outside the guidelines - to be carried in the cabin? Inconvenience one? Or many? The one who hasn't played by the rules?
BA state musical instruments can be taken aboard, but are part of your hand baggage allowance (and the size restrictions that come with that).

Given that the T&Cs specifically state anything bigger needs to go in the hold, I'm surprised they allow guitars onboard at all these days; given they could be making a few extra quid by insisting they're checked.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:50 am

BA guidelines are pretty clear:

Originally Posted by BA Website
You can take musical instruments (except double basses) on board as part of (but not in addition to) your free hand baggage allowance, i.e. the number, size and weight of bags you can take in the cabin.

If your musical instrument is larger than 56 x 45 x 25cm (22 x 18 x 10in): Please check it into the hold as part of your checked baggage allowance.
As are LATAM own guidelines.

Originally Posted by LATAM Website
Musical Instruments
Individual instruments or part of a band are accepted as checked luggage as long as they don’t exceed the dimensions limit established for the region.

It can be placed on the seat, if the following conditions are respected:
  • Previous reservation of more than one seat in the same fare and class of the passenger, with no right to another checked luggage allowance.
  • Maximum allowed weight of 75Kg/165 lbs.
So yes I would say there is an element of DYKWIA if you do not believe the rules apply to you....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.