Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - £1,033, MIA - £1,133, ATL - £1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR £0.90/TP £400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV £1.33/TP £583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB £1.33/TP £346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG £1.65/TP £593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL £1.81/TP £72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN £1.85/TP £444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV £1.89/TP £377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV £1.91/TP £765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG £2.10/TP £420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV £2.56/TP £410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan £1.50/TP £960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is £40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY £2.50/TP £203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY £2.08/TP £250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV £1.43/TP £172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb £0.99/TP £356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN £1.10/TP £44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn £80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov £0.85/TP £307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~£235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Forum DANDL. It's hard to say when is the best time to book as no one knows when a sale will be along however if you want to go business class I would strongly recommend doing an ex-EU if you can (starting from elsewhere in the UK such as Oslo) Club World is around £2500 each pp at the moment on ba.com but they do go lower than that to around £2300 ish. BA 11 and BA 15 are the best options if choosing BA rather than BA 15 all the way through which is classed as one flight whereas 11 and 15 are 2 seperate flights which = more tier points.

However do have a look Qatar, also part of oneworld, who do some very good sales to Australia at times so it's worth signing up for e-mail alerts, sometimes they do flash sales so read the Qatar forum as well as on here. Have a read on headforpoints too which can highlight some examples of low fares, sometimes well under 2k each and will get you BA Silver in one go (assuming you do 4 BA coded flights)

I'm no expert in fare rules however a lot of fares do allow a free stopover both ways and definitely worth considering to break the flights up.

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 27, 2017 at 3:47 am
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DANDL
Hi Mikeyfly,
Thanks for replying.
Sorry - flying from London Heathrow.
As regards cost, the cheaper the better as I'm paying for them myself.
I'm quite keen to get on and book them - with any helpful advice on price reduction - and am wary that as the weeks/months go by, the price may go up.
Apart from the extra costs of staying over somewhere (Hong Kong/Singapore) does that impact on flight costs ?
In principle we'd probably plan to fly straight through but if there is a benefit in stopping over - tier points/avios etc - we'd look at that.
As you can gather, I'm an innocent lamb in this and would be very grateful for advice.
Firstly - don't panic. The first price you see will not be the best price you will see, and you should not rush to book. There will be several sales between now and next November - Qatar Airways seems to have a sale every few days - and you should be able to find a very good deal even well into 2018.

What is certain is that London is not the cheapest starting point for business class flights to Australia. You should check the fares from other cities, particularly those in Scandinavia - you can often save well over £1,000 per person by flying from Stockholm or Gothenburg, for example, even flying with British Airways via London. You'd have to factor in the time and expense of positioning to the starting pint, and possibly of overnight accommodation there, but you'll still save money.

Fares for next November haven't yet been published, but I did a quick check on flights to Sydney in October on OneWorld airlines. The cheapest from London is £3,300, but you can get a return from Oslo with Qatar Airways for £2,156.

Do some research using Google Flights, to get an idea of the fares from various cities, and set up an alert to let you know when the fare changes. And keep an eye on the premium fare deals thread in this forum.
DANDL likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Any decent one world options for DXB? The BA fares from MIL look to have gone (or at least are gone for my dates). I need to go in Jan so I'm also within 60 days.

Wondered if I was missing a slightly more obscure starting point Ex-EU that has good fares to the GCC?

Edit: Never mind. BA still an option; just full on a few days around my preferred date. Slight jiggling of dates has given me the £1180 option out of LIN.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Any decent one world options for DXB? The BA fares from MIL look to have gone (or at least are gone for my dates). I need to go in Jan so I'm also within 60 days.
I think there is a Saturday night stay requirement. The fare is still available.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by jhneoh
You're in luck. MH is still running the sale for PVG-KUL-SIN. 500 USD return but you'll have to book within the next 36 hours.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...PVG0MH388;sc=b
Looks like this has been extended from the 36 hours mentioned, as it seems to still be available?

If I were to do this I would have to start by positioning from KUL, meaning KUL-PVG-KUL-SIN-KUL-PVG-KUL. As far as I know the transit visa on arrival does not allow returning to the same country, but would this particular itinerary be permitted since the final destination is different from the point of origin? Or not permitted because the destination of the first flight into/out of China is KUL in all cases?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JonV
Looks like this has been extended from the 36 hours mentioned, as it seems to still be available?
The ex-China offers are advertised as valid until Nov 30th (and indeed are still available)

If I were to do this I would have to start by positioning from KUL, meaning KUL-PVG-KUL-SIN-KUL-PVG-KUL. As far as I know the transit visa on arrival does not allow returning to the same country, but would this particular itinerary be permitted since the final destination is different from the point of origin? Or not permitted because the destination of the first flight into/out of China is KUL in all cases?
Alas this would not work - the Chinese authorities only care about the arrival and departing flights, so something like country1-KUL-PVG-KUL-country2 does not count as an international transit.

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
Thnx I saw this.. But it's only 360tp and doesn't get me to icn.. So I thought a sophisticated more legged run might be possible..
I haven't been able to find any way to get a trip including a stay in ICN for less than around 10000 CNY (1500 USD approx). If the goal though is to get 500 TPs for less than 1000 USD then you can *almost* do this with:

PVG - KUL - SIN - KUL - PVG (360 TPs at 3268 CNY (498 USD)
SIN - KUL - PEN - KUL - SIN (160 TPs at 3412 CNY (517 USD)

(total of 1015 USD). Prices and availability as seen using Google flights.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz
Alas this would not work - the Chinese authorities only care about the arrival and departing flights, so something like country1-KUL-PVG-KUL-country2 does not count as an international transit.
Thanks for the quick answer. Any idea how the authorities would view an application for a double entry tourist visa for this sort of itinerary, with less than 24h in PVG both times? Is there a significant chance it would be denied?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
I can't really think of a reason why this could be a problem so think it should be fine (two closely spaced short business trips to China from SE Asia is not going to be so unusual).

I​​​​​​ only have direct experience though with visa applications for China in Denmark. In that case though it is fairly easy to get s multiple entry tourist visa. You could as s backup leave enough time on one of the PVG stays to add a PVG-HKG-PVG return (so you would be travelling KUL-PVG-HKG and in reverse).
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:58 pm

Would stack nicely with a LCA-DOH-CMB-PVG fare. I make it 1000TP's for around £1400.
megaloman likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by wonderman
Would stack nicely with a LCA-DOH-CMB-PVG fare. I make it 1000TP's for around £1400.
Do you have a link to this in google flights? I can construct good fares FRA-DOH-CMB-XXX in matrix but have never managed to get them to a bookable option..
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by thepowerbook
Do you have a link to this in google flights? I can construct good fares FRA-DOH-CMB-XXX in matrix but have never managed to get them to a bookable option..
Would a reliable travel agent book above fare hassle free?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:36 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by thepowerbook
For this routing, head to the Sri Lankan website and select Multi-City.

Plug the routing in as a Multi-City option, and the prices you've seen on Matrix, will come up.

M
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
For this routing, head to the Sri Lankan website and select Multi-City.

Plug the routing in as a Multi-City option, and the prices you've seen on Matrix, will come up.

M
I tried this on a few different options found via the matrix, but the final result invariably turned out about twice as expensive, despite featuring the same flights.

EDIT: I have to amend the above - I was trying routings originating in FRA, but I've since been able to price up several examples originating in LCA using the multi-city option on srilankan.com, as suggested by msm2000uk.
msm2000uk likes this.

Last edited by JonV; Nov 29, 2017 at 10:08 am
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I tried this on a few different options found via the matrix, but the final result invariably turned out about twice as expensive, despite featuring the same flights.
Probably only a travel agent with access to Srilankan inventory can book the combo successfully @:-)
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
As every winter, BA will serve GVA from LGW.

GVA-LGW return can be had for CHF 294 (about £222) in Club, which yields 80TPs (£2.77/TP). Not great, but for us based in Switzerland not bad either.

Example:
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...VA0BA2736;sc=b

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.