Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - Ł1,033, MIA - Ł1,133, ATL - Ł1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - Ł1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - Ł1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ł3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR Ł0.90/TP Ł400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV Ł1.33/TP Ł583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB Ł1.33/TP Ł346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG Ł1.65/TP Ł593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL Ł1.81/TP Ł72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN Ł1.85/TP Ł444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV Ł1.89/TP Ł377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV Ł1.91/TP Ł765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG Ł2.10/TP Ł420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV Ł2.56/TP Ł410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan Ł1.50/TP Ł960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is Ł40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY Ł2.50/TP Ł203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY Ł2.08/TP Ł250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV Ł1.43/TP Ł172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb Ł0.99/TP Ł356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN Ł1.10/TP Ł44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn Ł80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov Ł0.85/TP Ł307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ł300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under Ł500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ł520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~Ł235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Smid
Specifically when "There's a glitch in the matrix", ie: when the bad guys enter the matrix chasing the good guys, people get deja vu, things happen twice in a row, often a black cat will cross your path twice across the same spot.

So you should run.
;-) you guys need to get out more...

Or stay in more and help me fix my booking problem! ;-))
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:40 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Fancy coming along?

M
I did it in March this year. It looked horrific beforehand. It went horribly wrong when I got to LAS & it remained horrific for pretty much the rest of it.

Possibly the most miserable trip I've been on.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:45 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by mkcol
I did it in March this year. It looked horrific beforehand. It went horribly wrong when I got to LAS & it remained horrific for pretty much the rest of it.

Possibly the most miserable trip I've been on.
Doesn't sound ideal at all.

I can see how the smallest of IRROPS would completely ruin the sequence.

M
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Heading to the Far East on 8 Dec (last day of my BAEC year) which I can either do directly on BA from LHR leaving me 380 TP short of gold and if I can get the 2 week extension I'd be 200 short by the time I'm back.... or take a round about route on QR for an extra Ł300 which would get me over the line (with the 2 week extension).

Or just forget it completely on the basis that I think I'll do enough flying early next year to get to gold by April ish.

So to help make the decision: any suggestions for something in the 200-380 tp range by 8 December with 27-29th Nov about the only spare time in the diary at the moment?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by thepowerbook
;-) you guys need to get out more...
I DID! I went out and killed loads of zombies last night...

Loads of little ones, but once I sneaked up and stabbed the big one in the head, well, it was all over bar the screaming...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Morning all. Has anyone done the QR ARN-DOH-BKK-DOH-ARN run or something similar?
Just wondering how it went?

I'm trying to decide about the DOH layover time outbound, I believe there might be a hotel deal available at the moment should I decide on say a 15 hour break there?

Also, can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel for 3-4 nights in BKK?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by w3andw4d
Morning all. Has anyone done the QR ARN-DOH-BKK-DOH-ARN run or something similar?
Just wondering how it went?

I'm trying to decide about the DOH layover time outbound, I believe there might be a hotel deal available at the moment should I decide on say a 15 hour break there?

Also, can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel for 3-4 nights in BKK?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Did exactly this routing last year on 787 and 388. Fantastic flights. What do you mean with 'how it went'?

There are many excellent 5* hotels in Bangkok which are affordable. Personally I really liked the Muse Hotel, the Sheraton Sukhumvit and the lebua, but then there are so many more.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by florens
Did exactly this routing last year on 787 and 388. Fantastic flights. What do you mean with 'how it went'?

There are many excellent 5* hotels in Bangkok which are affordable. Personally I really liked the Muse Hotel, the Sheraton Sukhumvit and the lebua, but then there are so many more.
Thanks, Florens.

I just wanted to get a feel for the experience in general and anything that I might need to be aware of. Having said that, the price has just gone up for the dates I was looking at :-(
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
I did OSL-DOH-BKK.

It was a good trip, outbound the layovers were short outbound but had a 10h layover inbound.

Stayed at the Sheraton grande sukhumvit, excellent hotel and Richard the general manager is amazing.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Lightbulb

Planning a long weekend in IAH, any suggestion about how to further maximise TPs? The below currently comes at Ł1,995 and I count 860TPs (under the assumption I upgrade the BA sectors to A, please correct me if I am wrong):

Dublin (DUB) to London (LHR) — Wed, Mar 14 - Business (I)
London (LHR) to New York (JFK) — Wed, Mar 14 - Business (I)
New York (JFK) to Phoenix (PHX) — Thu, Mar 15 - First (I)
Phoenix (PHX) to Houston (IAH) — Thu, Mar 15 - First (I)

Houston (IAH) to Phoenix (PHX) — Mon, Mar 19 - First (I)
Phoenix (PHX) to New York (JFK) — Mon, Mar 19 - First (I)
New York (JFK) to London (LHR) — Mon, Mar 19 - Business (I)
London (LHR) to Dublin (DUB) — Tue, Mar 20 - Business (I)

Any additional creative routes without spending additional days?

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Jamier45
I did OSL-DOH-BKK.

It was a good trip, outbound the layovers were short outbound but had a 10h layover inbound.

Stayed at the Sheraton grande sukhumvit, excellent hotel and Richard the general manager is amazing.
I am planning a similar trip but probably flying from AMS. How was it? Is QR good to fly?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tomparskate
I am planning a similar trip but probably flying from AMS. How was it? Is QR good to fly?
The 787 was nice, the a380 better but I much preferred the seat on the 777 on the way back BKK-DOH.

Good service all round.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Airprox
As noted in the very next sentence, they have entertainment that can be streamed from the onboard library (films and tv episodes) via your own device if you have one.
isnt that via their wifi service ish and comes at a cost? never done that, hence genuine question.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by chris1979
isnt that via their wifi service ish and comes at a cost? never done that, hence genuine question.
It's provided over the wifi system yes but the entertainment is free (it's streamed from a server on the aircraft not over the internet from the ground)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: BRK-B
I need 740 TP before the end of March, what is the best way to get 740TP from one return trip (in Business Class) between London and Bangkok? One of the route I can think of is LHR-DOH-SIN-KUL-BKK-KUL-SIN-DOH-LHR (QR & MH) but this only get me 720 TP. Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.