Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - £1,033, MIA - £1,133, ATL - £1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR £0.90/TP £400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV £1.33/TP £583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB £1.33/TP £346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG £1.65/TP £593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL £1.81/TP £72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN £1.85/TP £444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV £1.89/TP £377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV £1.91/TP £765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG £2.10/TP £420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV £2.56/TP £410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan £1.50/TP £960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is £40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY £2.50/TP £203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY £2.08/TP £250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV £1.43/TP £172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb £0.99/TP £356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN £1.10/TP £44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn £80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov £0.85/TP £307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~£235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad
Afternoon all,

I'm currently at 1145TP with a collection year end of 8th Oct. Looks like I'll be 35TP short of Gold come cut off.

I have a flight with QR from CDG on 17th Oct which will net 280TP (1,425TP). The bad news is my return is 24th, outside of a 2 week extension.
1. You have 1145 TP
2. If you get the 2 week extension, you could apply 140 TP (CDG-DOH) to get to 1285 TP
3. That leaves you short of 215 TP
4. Even if you were able to apply the return on the 24th (DOH-CDG) you would still only be at 1425 TP ... which is still 75 TP short.
5. Unless you have another flight giving you 40 TP (CDG Positioning flight giving 40 TP)... which would then leave you 35 TP short

Last edited by deboyzoned; Sep 19, 2017 at 11:38 am
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Do wiser posters have any advice for getting 5 TPs , and one qualifying flight, by 8th October, please?

Is a fortnight extension be allowed for getting the qualifying flight?

I'm based in Bristol, which is hardly a BA hub. Could go from BHX/LON/MAN.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by dpfs
Do wiser posters have any advice for getting 5 TPs , and one qualifying flight, by 8th October, please?

Is a fortnight extension be allowed for getting the qualifying flight?

I'm based in Bristol, which is hardly a BA hub. Could go from BHX/LON/MAN.

If you can get to Gatwick and book tonight (I think the sale ends tonight) there are plenty of sale flights before your end date. You can do Nice return on a day trip for £59, which I happened to be looking at for work.

For example

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#se...7;r=2017-10-07
dpfs likes this.

Last edited by bisonrav; Sep 19, 2017 at 1:03 pm Reason: corrected URL
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
I think that "best" depends on your particulars.

If you need to minimize time, just go on BA.com and book (West Coast)-(East Coast)-LHR return. J is usually not cheap, but you may get lucky. Buying on the BA website will get you BA marketed flights, even the ones on AA metal. If you can "survive" flying in World Traveler (coach) or World Traveler Plus (economy plus - bigger seat & better meal) you can do it much cheaper, but at a cost of earning fewer Tier Points. You will also probably get a cheaper ticket if you go past LHR (try DUB/AMS/BRU/ARN/...).

If you want to minimize $ spend (and you have points that you would be willing to use), take an award flight or cheap flight on Norwegian etc. to and from Europe and while there take 4 cheap segments on either BA or IB. That's what I have done (on IB) the last few years. Note that flights both sold by IB and flown on IB metal also count towards the 4 qualifying flights.

In theory (once the effects of Irma have been sufficiently reduced) you could go to the Caribbean and fly 4 segments on various BA fifth-freedom flights in that region. However, scheduling is very tricky (flights are only 2x or 3x per week) and looked to be rather expensive the last time I checked this out.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply and the suggestions/options. You really filled in the blanks for me.

LAX-LHR-FCO became the best itinerary, at the best price. Flying American's 77w on the outbound, and BA's A380 on the return. Looking forward to checking out the upper deck on the 380. All for 360 Tier Points. Will have 280 Tier Points prior to this TATL trip, so should achieve Sapphire by the end of 2017.

Thank you again, HPN-HRL. ^
Markie and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Provision for inability to travel.

I am goimg to be at 4150tp by my dec 8 earning period end. Had hoped to get to 5k and get ggl but from march to may I was unable tobtravel due to broken bones/pelvis etc after being knocked off my bicycle. Does ba ever extend an earning period to compensate for incapacity? Another month and i will get 900tp over xmas period. So near yet so far...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Lufthansa Miles & More
Originally Posted by PETER01
Unless you enjoy driving I certainly wouldn't recommend driving from London to Inverness, it's about a 9-10 hour drive and about 560 odd miles.

I don't think I'd get the train either and that's probably about 7-8 hours.

Just to say that your membership year for collecting tier points will end on the 8th of the month, as they all do, at 23:59:59 on the 8th if that makes any difference but that aside let me welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA Board Hovanhess and great advice from KARFA there on positioning etc. ^
Thank you very much for your reply and hospitality!
one last question: from your experience, would I benefit from waiting longer before booking the discussed flights? Or is the risk too big for prices to rise?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Some information on the BA ILN4T8S6 fare PRG to US:

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 21 SEP 17.
There are no specific travel period so this can be used for travel at any time of year.

Example prices - the fare doesn't cover every US destination so I have only listed the major ones I have found which are covered:

IAD - £1,030
MIA - £1,185
MCO - £1,165
ORD - £1,233
ATL - £1,080

RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 14 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.
ORIGINATING EUROPE -
TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 6 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR
OR -
TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
STOPOVERS NOT PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.
Code:
 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
      2 FREE ON AA/AB/AY/BA/HG/IB ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH
       DIRECTION.
  AND - 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
            1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND B6 IN BOS/JFK IN
             EACH DIRECTION
            1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND AS IN LAX/PDX/SEA IN
             EACH DIRECTION
            1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND WS IN CANADA IN EACH
             DIRECTION
            1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND HA IN HAWAII IN EACH
             DIRECTION
            2 FREE ON AA/BA/IB ONLY IN THE UNITED STATES/
             CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION
          FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND
           EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE
           COMPONENT.
Note changes are not allowed:

Code:
 CANCELLATIONS
    ANY TIME
      TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
         NOTE -
          FARE COMPONENT IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
          --------------------------------------------
          WAIVED FOR DEATH OF A PASSENGER AND PASSENGERS
          TRAVELLING COMPANIONS.
          ----------------------------------------------
          WHEN COMBINING NON-REFUNDABLE FARES WITH
          REFUNDABLE FARES
          1. THE AMOUNT PAID ON EACH REFUNDABLE FARE
          COMPONENT IS REFUNDED.
          2. THE AMOUNT PAID ON EACH NON-REFUNDABLE FARE
          COMPONENT WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
          3. WHEN COMBINING FARES CHARGE THE SUM OF THE
          CANCELLATION FEES OF ALL CANCELLED FARE
          COMPONENTS.
          REFUND OF UNUSED TAXES FEES AND CHARGES PAID TO
          THIRD PARTIES PERMITTED. ASSOCIATED CARRIER
          IMPOSED CHARGES WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
          ---------------------------------------------
          REFUND PERMITTED WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY.
          --------------------------------------------
          ANY NON-REFUNDABLE AMOUNT FROM A PREVIOUS TICKET
          REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE FOLLOWING A CHANGE.
          TICKET IS NOT TRANSFERABLE TO ANOTHER PERSON.
          ---------------------------------------------
          ------ CANCELLATION REPRICING CONDITIONS-----
          REPRICE USING ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT ERU AND EOU.
          FLOWN COUPONS MUST BE REPRICED USING HISTORICAL
          FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
          THE FARE FOR THE JOURNEY TRAVELLED MUST BE CAPPED
          AT THE TOTAL FARE AMOUNT PLUS CARRIER IMPOSED
          CHARGE PAID ON THE TICKET BEING PRESENTED FOR
          REFUND.
          FULLY FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS MAY BE REPRICED USING
          ANY BOOKING CODE WITHIN THE SAME CABIN PROVIDED
          THE NEW FARE AMOUNT IS EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN
          ORIGINAL.
          PARTIALLY FLOWN FARE COMPONENTS MUST BE REPRICED
          USING THE SAME OR HIGHER BOOKING CODE.
  CHANGES
    ANY TIME
      CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.
         NOTE -
          A CHANGE IS A DATE/FLIGHT/ROUTING/BOOKING CODE
          CHANGE.
          WHEN COMBINING FARES THAT HAVE CHANGE FEES
          THE HIGHEST PENALTY OF ANY OF THE CHANGED
          FARE COMPONENTS APPLIES
          WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTION
          WHEN COMBINING NON-CHANGEABLE FARES WITH
          CHANGEABLE FARES THE CHANGEABLE FARE
          COMPONENTS REMAIN CHANGEABLE.
          --------------------------------------------------
          TICKET IS NOT TRANSFERABLE TO ANOTHER PERSON.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Hovhaness
Thank you very much for your reply and hospitality!
one last question: from your experience, would I benefit from waiting longer before booking the discussed flights? Or is the risk too big for prices to rise?
The $64,000 dollar question as the old saying goes!

Your very welcome and I am no fare/ticketing expert and just a leisure flyer, however I do keep a close eye on them and note them think the prices are quite good value just now.

In the big scale of things and with the Sale on there are some decent fares out there and the West Coast (which is what you are looking for?) give a fair mount of TP's ^
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Looks like some BA I TATL fares no longer go up to A - or even down to Y - when there's no I class availability. Shame
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by typical
Looks like some BA I TATL fares no longer go up to A - or even down to Y - when there's no I class availability. Shame
Is this what you mean? A new thread is discussing it.

AA 3-Class Transcon 'A bracket' is no longer?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by PETER01
Is this what you mean? A new thread is discussing it.
Yep, though as I say the implications are more than just getting into A. I'll continue there ^
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerkit
I am goimg to be at 4150tp by my dec 8 earning period end. Had hoped to get to 5k and get ggl but from march to may I was unable tobtravel due to broken bones/pelvis etc after being knocked off my bicycle. Does ba ever extend an earning period to compensate for incapacity? Another month and i will get 900tp over xmas period. So near yet so far...
I think the answer is 'no' to be honest. Though BA do extensions for Gold renewals I understand that there is no leniency when it comes to GGL renewal, therefore I would assume the same would apply for initial qualification. That said remember the old adage : If you don't ask you don't get...

Considering you're so close I would certainly recommend trying to go for GGL, especially if you can maintain the 3,000 TP's requalification level going forward. GGL has been extremely useful for me and is a definite step up from Gold.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Some information on the BA ILN4T8S6 fare PRG to US: IAD - £1,030
Interesting to play around with the stopovers - looks like the following is £1,080 for 600TPs: PRG - HEL - LHR - JFK - DCA (and back)

Get the A350 HEL - LHR and I think that DCA is a lot more convenient than IAD for downtown Washington....
Calchas and megaloman like this.

Last edited by LondonAndy; Sep 20, 2017 at 9:42 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
I think the answer is 'no' to be honest. Though BA do extensions for Gold renewals I understand that there is no leniency when it comes to GGL renewal, therefore I would assume the same would apply for initial qualification. That said remember the old adage : If you don't ask you don't get...

Considering you're so close I would certainly recommend trying to go for GGL, especially if you can maintain the 3,000 TP's requalification level going forward. GGL has been extremely useful for me and is a definite step up from Gold.
I might try a weekend in hnl to get the tp before 8 dec! Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:57 am

Good morning all, I have never been one to chase tier points they always seemed to happen given the amount of flying I was doing... However after a few years based in the UK I am looking to make the most of a bit of down time I have booked...

Can I throw open for suggestions for a GGL run...?

I had done some back reading an thought TLL would be a help - alas no...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.