Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - 1,461, ORD - 1,492, LAS - 1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - 1,033, MIA - 1,133, ATL - 1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - 1,472, MIA - 1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - 1,427, MIA - 1,532, LAS - 1,667, LAX - 1,795, HNL - 2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - 1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - 1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR 0.90/TP 400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV 1.33/TP 583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB 1.33/TP 346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG 1.65/TP 593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL 1.81/TP 72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN 1.85/TP 444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV 1.89/TP 377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV 1.91/TP 765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG 2.10/TP 420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV 2.56/TP 410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan 1.50/TP 960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is 40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY 2.50/TP 203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY 2.08/TP 250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV 1.43/TP 172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb 0.99/TP 356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN 1.10/TP 44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn 80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov 0.85/TP 307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Old May 19, 2017, 5:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Down the back
1st ever TP run next wk, going to SAT ex Man, does anybody know if you can AUP with AA from Biz to 1st on JFK to LAX and vice versa ? If you can how much is it and would you get 210 TP instead of 140 TP ?

Thanks

DTB
AUPs and POUGs with AA do not earn more TP, you will only get the TP for the cabin you originally booked.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Originally Posted by KARFA
AUPs and POUGs with AA do not earn more TP, you will only get the TP for the cabin you originally booked.
Thanks KARFA, nearly a real beginners mistake there. Is BA the only OW airline which gives you the TP when you AUP or POUG ?

Thanks

DTB
Old May 19, 2017, 5:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Down the back
Thanks KARFA, nearly a real beginners mistake there. Is BA the only OW airline which gives you the TP when you AUP or POUG ?

Thanks

DTB
I think one or two do so apart from BA, but mostly not. I have been trying to compile a list of them (I think it is post 5 of this thread).
Old May 19, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Thanks Karfa, good info.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR and other stuff too tedious to mention
Eid al-Fitr Holiday - TP runs for late availability?

The opportunity is this: I'm marooned in a rather dusty and challenging environment in somewhat of a backwater of the Middle East, ploughing away at the day job. I've just been informed that there will be a semi-official shut down for the Eid al-Fitr holiday at the end of Ramadan, with a decent four or five day break in prospect.

I turned first to ITAMatrix to try and find a decent TP run, obviously somewhat challenging at rather short notice - does anyone have any bright ideas for interesting places/fares for the details below ?????

Positioning ex CAI, AMM, IST or DOH is do-able. DXB less so

Outbound dates 24/25 June

Inbound 28/29 June

Budget - not hugely relevant (more a question of being time-poor, and needing a break from this environment!)

Already renewed my Gold exec club membership for the year - heading toward the 2500 TP threshold

Generally a J or F purchaser - more interested in arriving than travelling

Secure in the knowledge that there are far, far greater minds here than mine, with experience of crafting imaginative TP runs at short notice, I thought I'd seek some advice and guidance from all you intellectual colossi populating this thread........ Looking for inspiration - all ideas gratefully received !
Old May 20, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
You can stretch this fare to 1,040 TPs if you wish:
I just took the plunge and booked this for Easter 2018.

OTP-LHR-HEL // HEL-LHR-BOS-PHX // PHX-PHL-LHR-HEL // HEL-LHR-OTP

Easily bookable on aa.com with very comfortable flight and connection times, 1,040 TPs for just under 1,500 (1.44 per TP).

(Edit: Just noticed I gave the wrong routing - for the sake of others who might want to do the same, I am returning via PHL, not JFK, because the connection time was more relaxed and I was able to fly on AA metal).

Last edited by Misco60; May 20, 2017 at 7:45 am
Old May 20, 2017, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Misco60

OTP-LHR-HEL // HEL-LHR-BOS-PHX // PHX-JFK-LHR-HEL // HEL-LHR-OTP

Easily bookable on aa.com with very comfortable flight and connection times, 1,040 TPs for just under 1,500 (1.44 per TP).
Excellent ^

Did you manage to secure the AY A350 on your HEL flights? Did you got for AA or BA metal on your TATLs?
Old May 20, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Excellent ^

Did you manage to secure the AY A350 on your HEL flights? Did you got for AA or BA metal on your TATLs?
I chose the flights for their timings (avoiding very early starts, very late arrivals and tight connections) rather than the aircraft type, so they're mostly on BA metal, although I did manage to get the return TATL on AA.

I already bagged one of the TLL deals for February (with AY A350), and the two trips together will push me over 1500 TPs in the first few weeks of my next BAEC collection year, giving me gold for a full two years. So I would like to thank the incredibly knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum for getting me there so quickly and cheaply.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
You can stretch this fare to 1,040 TPs if you wish:
This is so tempting!

Not looked at OTP - what is it like for b2b flights?

Can't say I have ever been to Bucharest.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
The fare rules state:
Category 15: Sales restrictions
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/AFTER 20MAY 17 AND ON/BEFORE 22MAY 17.
So dont hang around if you are keen!

I managed to price up the route by Misco60 above on ITA Matrix for 1280, but clicking through to AA.com gives $1960 - anyone got any bright ideas about how to get it for the Matrix price?!
Old May 20, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by MrMutton
The fare rules state:

I managed to price up the route by Misco60 above on ITA Matrix for 1280, but clicking through to AA.com gives $1960 - anyone got any bright ideas about how to get it for the Matrix price?!
bookwithmatrix then priceline worked for me on that route.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by reviewerb
The opportunity is this: I'm marooned in a rather dusty and challenging environment in somewhat of a backwater of the Middle East, ploughing away at the day job. I've just been informed that there will be a semi-official shut down for the Eid al-Fitr holiday at the end of Ramadan, with a decent four or five day break in prospect.

I turned first to ITAMatrix to try and find a decent TP run, obviously somewhat challenging at rather short notice - does anyone have any bright ideas for interesting places/fares for the details below ?????

Positioning ex CAI, AMM, IST or DOH is do-able. DXB less so

Outbound dates 24/25 June

Inbound 28/29 June

Budget - not hugely relevant (more a question of being time-poor, and needing a break from this environment!)

Already renewed my Gold exec club membership for the year - heading toward the 2500 TP threshold

Generally a J or F purchaser - more interested in arriving than travelling

Secure in the knowledge that there are far, far greater minds here than mine, with experience of crafting imaginative TP runs at short notice, I thought I'd seek some advice and guidance from all you intellectual colossi populating this thread........ Looking for inspiration - all ideas gratefully received !
AUH-CMB fares are in J are pricing at 440 for many dates with qatar for 400TP's.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by wonderman
bookwithmatrix then priceline worked for me on that route.
What price did you pay?
Old May 20, 2017, 10:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by MrMutton
The fare rules state:

Is this the fare? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28306229-post1728.html

if so it says

PERMITTED
01JUL THROUGH 31AUG OR
22NOV THROUGH 29NOV OR
24DEC THROUGH 31DEC OR
24MAR THROUGH 08APR
FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.

Which annoyingly means I can't book it in Jan/Feb when my year ends.

Can't however see a book by date.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Misco60

OTP-LHR-HEL // HEL-LHR-BOS-PHX // PHX-PHL-LHR-HEL // HEL-LHR-OTP

(Edit: Just noticed I gave the wrong routing - for the sake of others who might want to do the same, I am returning via PHL, not JFK, because the connection time was more relaxed and I was able to fly on AA metal).
Thanks for posting. I'm trying to replicate on ITA, but the doubling back through LHR seems to cause issues. I always get "no flights found" if I use Matrix for the following

Start: OTP
End: PHX
Outbound routing code: LHR HEL LHR BOS /alliance oneworld
Dates: several tried, but for example August and March calendar views with 3 night stay.

Should this show on iTA, or do I have to search on AA.com directly?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.