Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - £1,033, MIA - £1,133, ATL - £1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR £0.90/TP £400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV £1.33/TP £583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB £1.33/TP £346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG £1.65/TP £593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL £1.81/TP £72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN £1.85/TP £444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV £1.89/TP £377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV £1.91/TP £765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG £2.10/TP £420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV £2.56/TP £410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan £1.50/TP £960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is £40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY £2.50/TP £203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY £2.08/TP £250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV £1.43/TP £172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb £0.99/TP £356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN £1.10/TP £44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn £80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov £0.85/TP £307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~£235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
POUGs & AUPs

I am adding a section to post #5 on the thread to clarify which carriers credit at the upgraded cabin rate for POUGs and AUPs. It seems to be a common question and there doesn't seem to be a list that we can refer to for this.

So far I think I have correctly shown the position for BA/AA/IB/AY/MH/JL.

Anyone know about CX/KA/JJ/LA/QF/QR/RJ/S7/UL so I can fill in the blanks?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
Anyone know about CX/KA/JJ/LA/QF/QR/RJ/S7/UL so I can fill in the blanks?
​​​​​​I was successful (and my friend) on getting credit for a promotional upgrade on QR, initially it posted as Y, but a contact with BA's twitter team got the credit updated to I earnings. From memory I had to send a photo of my boarding pass.

Last edited by megaloman; Apr 23, 2017 at 3:14 am Reason: Added missing airline reference
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by megaloman
​​​​​​I was successful (and my friend) on getting credit for promotional upgrade, initially it posted as Y, but a contact with BA's twitter team got the credit updated to I earnings. From memory had to send a photo of my boarding pass.
Which airline?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
Which airline?
QR! I'll update my answer
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by megaloman
QR! I'll update my answer
Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, BA Silver, Europcar Executive VIP
Gold Status without Tier points

Is it possible to attain BA Executive Club Gold on a number of flights basis only, not by attaining the 1500 Tier Points?
I attained Bronze and Silver by flying over 50 times so far this year, but as they are mostly short haul and non business, my Tier Points are somewhat lacking.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by InsanityBeckons
Is it possible to attain BA Executive Club Gold on a number of flights basis only, not by attaining the 1500 Tier Points?
I attained Bronze and Silver by flying over 50 times so far this year, but as they are mostly short haul and non business, my Tier Points are somewhat lacking.
I wondered this, but have never seen a number of flights specified on the BA website. The excellent Guide here on the forum also doesn't specify one - unlike Bronze/Silver - which makes me think it isn't possible except by accruing 1500 TPs and the (standard minimum) 4 flights.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sadly, NO.

"We understand that your time is precious — that’s why we’ve developed a range of exclusive benefits to enable our Gold Members make the most of every second. To reach Gold, you will need to fly BA at least four times and earn 1500 Tier Points." No alternative route to the loot!

Scroll to the end >>> https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...|||||L2|||||||

The "50 flights" option only applies to Bronze>Silver (or 25 Blue>Bronze).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:35 am

Thanks guys, was afraid that was the rule.
In that case, I'm in need of 970 Tier points by Jun 8th - Somehow I doubt I'm going to fit that in. Already have 14 flights booked, but all short haul still.
Hmm, maybe a week off to do a Tier points run is in order? Else stick to Business Class all next year.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Thanks guys, was afraid that was the rule.
In that case, I'm in need of 970 Tier points by Jun 8th - Somehow I doubt I'm going to fit that in. Already have 14 flights booked, but all short haul still.
Hmm, maybe a week off to do a Tier points run is in order? Else stick to Business Class all next year.
If you're doing 50 flights a year, and most are ex-LHR, then you are one of the very few people for whom I think a TP run of this magnitude may be justified. Certainly GF is a much nicer place to spend time than GC. The new First wing security is handy as well.

970TPs, however, is a significant requirement. You'd be looking at a CAI-HNL run, I'd imagine.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If you're doing 50 flights a year, and most are ex-LHR, then you are one of the very few people for whom I think a TP run of this magnitude may be justified. Certainly GF is a much nicer place to spend time than GC. The new First wing security is handy as well.

970TPs, however, is a significant requirement. You'd be looking at a CAI-HNL run, I'd imagine.
My thought too, although time/cost may be pertinent. Certainly worth thinking about a few days in HNL, though ... I know we did
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
With DUB-HNL being around £1,700 now without any additional costs - it would probably be around £2,000

Even at 50 visits to LHR is it really worth £40 "per visit" for a better lounge and First Wing.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:09 am

Actually, I'm doing well over 100 BA flights per year currently, though always put myself through the 'Economy' experience on a cost argument, especially as I have no need for baggage either.
Now even the trivial 'frills' of BA economy have been stripped away, and with no better alternative on my route(s) I've decided to reluctantly stick with BA, but considering options to improve the experience.
The only argument against a tier run is what tangible Gold benefits will I actually use in order to justify the cost. My time in lounges is limited due to hectic schedule, and usually flying direct so no connections to take advantage either.

But a few days in HNL. Who could argue against that!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Actually, I'm doing well over 100 BA flights per year currently, though always put myself through the 'Economy' experience on a cost argument, especially as I have no need for baggage either.
Now even the trivial 'frills' of BA economy have been stripped away, and with no better alternative on my route(s) I've decided to reluctantly stick with BA, but considering options to improve the experience.
The only argument against a tier run is what tangible Gold benefits will I actually use in order to justify the cost. My time in lounges is limited due to hectic schedule, and usually flying direct so no connections to take advantage either.

But a few days in HNL. Who could argue against that!
If you're not going to use the lounge then I likely wouldn't bother. Perhaps the extra gold reward availability in Y may be of some use, or being able to book n award redemption for double the Avios cost when there's no availability, but if you're not making use of the First wing security and GF, it probably isn't worth the £1300-£1500 it would cost (plus hotels).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My "Gold Benefits" list also includes:
  • Use of First check-in ... VERY useful at LHR at LGW.
  • Increased Avios earning rate ... useful if using 2-4-1 vouchers.
  • Enhanced 'recognition' across oneworld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.