Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - £1,033, MIA - £1,133, ATL - £1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR £0.90/TP £400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV £1.33/TP £583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB £1.33/TP £346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG £1.65/TP £593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL £1.81/TP £72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN £1.85/TP £444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV £1.89/TP £377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV £1.91/TP £765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG £2.10/TP £420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV £2.56/TP £410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan £1.50/TP £960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is £40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY £2.50/TP £203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY £2.08/TP £250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV £1.43/TP £172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb £0.99/TP £356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN £1.10/TP £44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn £80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov £0.85/TP £307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~£235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
That was before a 20% drop in the value of the £.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Richard Gibson
I managed to secure exDub this time last year for 1170pp so I'm ever hopeful!
No chance this year. exDUB base fare is in euros so even if there was a exDUB sale at the same base fare, the cost to you in sterling would be significantly higher.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It was actually reduced earlier in April - but it was £1,300 and didn't cover your travel dates on this occasion.

I actually got £850 exDUB to LAS for last November, booking the previous December, and UuA both ways to F. Miss those deals...
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Indeed and if you intend to spend any time at all over there you're hit with an even greater decline in the £ against the US$ on all your other costs such as accomodation and food/drink which are already high. Factor in the significantly reduced TP return on AA, and the situation is rather different from a year ago.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
So I did a tier point run in Business on MH all in one day.

KUL-KBR
KBR-KUL
KUL-KBR
KBR-KUL

Only the first 2 sectors credited and when I tried to submit a claim for the latter two flights, it says that the flight had already been credited (wrongly). "Your claim can not be submitted as a similar is already approved by the partner."
Think its a limitation of the BA system (tagging the claims via route and not flight number)

Anyone had experience with the same sectors / routes not credited when flown twice on the same day? I sent them an email to BAEC so hopefully a manual credit will do the trick?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ermen
So I did a tier point run in Business on MH all in one day.

KUL-KBR
KBR-KUL
KUL-KBR
KBR-KUL

Only the first 2 sectors credited and when I tried to submit a claim for the latter two flights, it says that the flight had already been credited (wrongly).
Think its a limitation of the BA system.

Anyone had experience with the same sectors / routes not credited when flown twice on the same day? I sent them an email to BAEC so hopefully a manual credit will do the trick?
Have you got details of the flight numbers and selling classes?

I seem to remember an issue raised a while ago relating to postings of the same flight on the same day caused problems, for example if you were to do LGW-JER-LGW-JER-LGW all on the same day it may not credit correctly since you were doing duplicates of the same route and cabin. Sorry I don't have any more on this or whether there was anything specific to do as a solution - perhaps PM BAMissingAvios?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by KARFA
Have you got details of the flight numbers and selling classes?

I seem to remember an issue raised a while ago relating to postings of the same flight on the same day caused problems, for example if you were to do LGW-JER-LGW-JER-LGW all on the same day it may not credit correctly since you were doing duplicates of the same route and cabin. Sorry I don't have any more on this or whether there was anything specific to do as a solution - perhaps PM BAMissingAvios?
I do have the flight numbers and the business class boarding pass (online print out which I used to board)
I've sent them to my local BAEC helpdesk.
I will see what they say - if it doesn't credit in a timely manner will reach out to BAMissingAvios
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
What 20% drop?

Maybe 10 %
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
What 20% drop?

Maybe 10 %
Depends on timescales - $1.58 in June 2015 versus $1.25 now gives more than 20% drop. Even looking at the exchange rate just before the referendum it's still more than a 15% drop. Having been to the States not so long ago I can tell you that it certainly no longer feels cheap for day-to-day expenses or shopping!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
What 20% drop?

Maybe 10 %
What FX company are you using? Can I get their details?

The GBP/USD 12 month high (rolling 12 month period ending today) was 1/1.49.

In mid January 2017 it was down to 1/1.20. A 19.5% drop from the 12 month high. Today it's 1/1.25; around a 16% drop from the 12 month high.

Go back 18 months and the high/low drop is 22%.

Go back 3 years and the drop is 29.9%.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
What FX company are you using? Can I get their details?

The GBP/USD 12 month high (rolling 12 month period ending today) was 1/1.49.

In mid January 2017 it was down to 1/1.20. A 19.5% drop from the 12 month high. Today it's 1/1.25; around a 16% drop from the 12 month high.

Go back 18 months and the high/low drop is 22%.

Go back 3 years and the drop is 29.9%.
I was thinking more about the Euro as that is what was mentioned above from Dublin.

However for the USD the 1.49 was a blip just before the result. It was around 1.45 - it is now 1.25 - 20c reduction which is about 13% - not 20% and closer to 10%
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was thinking more about the Euro as that is what was mentioned above from Dublin.

However for the USD the 1.49 was a blip just before the result. It was around 1.45 - it is now 1.25 - 20c reduction which is about 13% - not 20% and closer to 10%
Fair enough - but whether it is 13% or 20% the fact of the matter is Brits paid in £ have less spending power on TP runs priced in € or $. Brexit is the 'gift' that keeps on giving
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: BA GGL

Look at the bigger picture. The £ started its descent at the end of 2015, when polls began to suggest that the lunatics may, in fact, take over the asylum. It dropped from 1.43 against the Euro and 1.55 against the US dollar to figures currently bordering around 20% lower. I accept that it can't all be blamed on Brexit, but that is what has had the biggest single impact on the strength of the £ in the past 12-18 months.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Look at the bigger picture. The £ started its descent at the end of 2015 ...
Yes, look at the bigger picture, you youngsters. I can remember as a child half a crown (= 2 shillings and sixpence = 12.5p) being referred to as half a dollar, reflecting the former rate of $4 to a pound (not in my lifetime except as a figure of speech).

I can remember Harold Wilson's 1960's defence of the pound's devaluation from $2.80 to $2.40 by affirming that the pound in your pocket was still worth a pound.

So $4 to $2.80 to $2.40 to $1.48 to $1.whatever represents continuous devaluation of our currency, something that I consider shameful and unlikely to pause much since the events of 23 June 2016 and beyond.

I saw my first 12-sided pound yesterday. First impression: it looks like a Euro coin. How long before £1 = €1 = $1 parity?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Please stay on topic

Folks, please remember this is a reference thread for visitors to the BA forum to read about and discuss tier-point runs. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.