Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - £1,033, MIA - £1,133, ATL - £1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - £1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - £1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under £3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR £0.90/TP £400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV £1.33/TP £583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB £1.33/TP £346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG £1.65/TP £593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL £1.81/TP £72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN £1.85/TP £444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV £1.89/TP £377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV £1.91/TP £765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG £2.10/TP £420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV £2.56/TP £410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan £1.50/TP £960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is £40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY £2.50/TP £203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY £2.08/TP £250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV £1.43/TP £172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb £0.99/TP £356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN £1.10/TP £44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn £80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov £0.85/TP £307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under £300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~£235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Flying_William
Well my collection year is up in Jan 18 - ive 400 TP so far - a new low for me...

Budget? Well as close to £TP we can !
That's 4 CAI-HNL runs with at least one of them routing though HEL.

Just a noob question here - you said you used to qualify for GGL each year - in that case wouldn't you just need 3000 TPs to requalify instead of 5000 TPs?
Flying_William likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by ubiest
Is it allowed to do a backtrack to HEL on the CAI-HNL fare? In case it is allowed, is flying HEL-JFK must be on the AY non-stop service or it can be done via LHR?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Is it allowed to do a backtrack to HEL on the CAI-HNL fare? In case it is allowed, is flying HEL-JFK must be on the AY non-stop service or it can be done via LHR?
You can “backtrack” (does it count as a backtrack?) but you cannot pass through the same city more than once.

Of course you could do HEL-DUB, HEL-MAN, or possibly HEL-MAD, if you have the mileage.

Last edited by Calchas; Sep 27, 2017 at 1:52 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
You can “backtrack” (does it count as a backtrack?) but you cannot pass through the same city more than once.

Of course you could do HEL-DUB, HEL-MAN, or possibly HEL-MAD, if you have the mileage.
Category 9: Transfer restrictions
2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
2 FREE ON BA ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH DIRECTION
2 FREE BETWEEN BA AND IB IN EUROPE IN EACH DIRECTION
2 FREE ON IB ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH DIRECTION
1 FREE BETWEEN AA AND AA/BA/IB IN EUROPE IN EACH
DIRECTION.
AND - 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND B6 IN BOS/JFK IN
EACH DIRECTION
1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND AS IN LAX/PDX/SEA IN
EACH DIRECTION
1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND WS IN CANADA IN EACH
DIRECTION
1 FREE BETWEEN AA/BA/IB AND HA IN HAWAII IN EACH
DIRECTION
2 FREE ON AA/BA/IB ONLY IN THE UNITED STATES/
CANADA IN EACH DIRECTION
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND
EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE
COMPONENT.
Doing so breaks the IRCME fare, as now you have 3 transfers in Europe
CAI - LHR - HEL - MAN - JFK ...
It will price you into a much higher J1ME fare basis.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bad, I confused this with another fare.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
So it means that we must fly HEL-NORTH AMERICA direct without touching another city in Europe
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC - Blue :-(
Thanks to an unplanned AUP to JFK last week I’m now only 120 TP short of making silver. I’ve no other flights planned before my year end (8th Feb) other than a 241 redemption to ORD, so I’m looking at my first TP run.

I’ve scoured this thread but can’t figure out the best option. I’m based in Cardiff but can get to LHR easily enough and am trying to find a fairly straightforward route for as little cost as possible (realising of course that I’ve just missed the sale!). HEL looked a good option but is pretty much sold out in CE for every date I’ve tried! Any other suggestions for a TP run newbie to look at please?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tinytraveller
Any other suggestions for a TP run newbie to look at please?
Istanbul and Reykyavik were both looking decent value in CE and would get you over the line.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
So it means that we must fly HEL-NORTH AMERICA direct without touching another city in Europe
in a nutshell, yes.

AY fly to MIA, JFK, ORD and SFO.

You can also route to any city that has service to North America by AA, BA or IB, most of which will net 40TPs from LON.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Thanks to an unplanned AUP to JFK last week I’m now only 120 TP short of making silver. I’ve no other flights planned before my year end (8th Feb) other than a 241 redemption to ORD, so I’m looking at my first TP run.

I’ve scoured this thread but can’t figure out the best option. I’m based in Cardiff but can get to LHR easily enough and am trying to find a fairly straightforward route for as little cost as possible (realising of course that I’ve just missed the sale!). HEL looked a good option but is pretty much sold out in CE for every date I’ve tried! Any other suggestions for a TP run newbie to look at please?

Malta?

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#se...c=b;a=ONEWORLD

(or this one in January which isn't quite so brutal on the start time)

Last edited by bisonrav; Sep 28, 2017 at 3:18 am
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC - Blue :-(
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Istanbul and Reykyavik were both looking decent value in CE and would get you over the line.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Malta?

(or this one in January which isn't quite so brutal on the start time)

Brilliant, thanks both. I’ll give those all a look now. Annoyingly there is a conference in Malta next month that I could have gone to but our Director is going instead. Might see if he needs someone to keep him company though...
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I just got back from Malta. Lovely weather, nice food, massive recommendation for the rabbit pasta at La Pira in Valletta.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

I booked a TP/long weekend run from LGW to FNC, around £250 with 160 TP. Hotels look cheap and it helps that I speak Portuguese.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by deco105
I booked a TP/long weekend run from LGW to FNC, around £250 with 160 TP. Hotels look cheap and it helps that I speak Portuguese.
I've done the same, seems a nice place to visit plus a decent TP return.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:29 am

Just a noob question here - you said you used to qualify for GGL each year - in that case wouldn't you just need 3000 TPs to requalify instead of 5000 TPs?
Thats a very good point

However.... Cairo to Honolulu...? 1250 TP ?

Last edited by Flying_William; Sep 29, 2017 at 5:32 am Reason: Noob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.