Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - €1,461, ORD - €1,492, LAS - €1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - Ł1,033, MIA - Ł1,133, ATL - Ł1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - €1,472, MIA - €1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - €1,427, MIA - €1,532, LAS - €1,667, LAX - €1,795, HNL - €2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - Ł1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - Ł1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under Ł3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR Ł0.90/TP Ł400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV Ł1.33/TP Ł583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB Ł1.33/TP Ł346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG Ł1.65/TP Ł593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL Ł1.81/TP Ł72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN Ł1.85/TP Ł444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV Ł1.89/TP Ł377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV Ł1.91/TP Ł765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG Ł2.10/TP Ł420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV Ł2.56/TP Ł410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan Ł1.50/TP Ł960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is Ł40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY Ł2.50/TP Ł203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY Ł2.08/TP Ł250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV Ł1.43/TP Ł172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb Ł0.99/TP Ł356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN Ł1.10/TP Ł44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn Ł80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov Ł0.85/TP Ł307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under Ł300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under Ł500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for Ł520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~Ł235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
I am short of 380TPs and 6 qualifying BA flights/associated codeshares of hitting Gold. I was wondering if there are any affordable runs to hit these targets in one, or in split TP runs around middle of February through March?

I thought I might as well take advantage of the triple Avios period.
Only four qualifying flights needed for Gold (the four BA flights requirement for Silver/Gold is not in addition to the two needed for Bronze).

No great deals ex-Asia on BA that I can see at the moment. ICN is very often the "Dublin" of Asia as far as BA-fares go. The best I can see is ICN-HEL (140+80+80+140 = 440 TPs) for around 1470 GBP (https://goo.gl/flights) - still a little bit outside the 3GBP/TP level, but good for ex-Asia on BA in my experience.

Last edited by GinFizz; Jan 8, 2017 at 10:49 pm
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GinFizz
Only four qualifying flights needed for Gold (the four BA flights requirement for Silver/Gold is not in addition to the two needed for Bronze).

No great deals ex-Asia on BA that I can see at the moment. ICN is very often the "Dublin" of Asia as far as BA-fares go. The best I can see is ICN-HEL (140+80+80+140 = 440 TPs) for around 1470 GBP (https://goo.gl/flights) - still a little bit outside the 3GBP/TP level, but good for ex-Asia on BA in my experience.
Ah I think I would position myself to *anywhere* in the European capitals to get this all over and done with.

I am thinking one of the TLL runs could take me back to Gold.

(02NOV | Ł1.33/TP | Ł583 | 440 | LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR | IIIIIIIIII | Google Flights | armouredant | 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL)

I'm currently on Silver status with 1,120TPs and 2 of 4 BA qualifying flights short of renewing for Silver. But up another 380TPs, I would need 2 or 6 more qualifying flights - I am sure it is the latter. Though I can't be sure.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
Ah I think I would position myself to *anywhere* in the European capitals to get this all over and done with.

I am thinking one of the TLL runs could take me back to Gold.

(02NOV Ł1.33/TP Ł583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL)

I'm currently on Silver status with 1,120TPs and 2 of 4 BA qualifying flights short of renewing for Silver. But up another 380TPs, I would need 2 or 6 more qualifying flights - I am sure it is the latter. Though I can't be sure.
You just need 4 eligible flights in total, not 6. If you have already done 2 this membership year you only need a further 2 regardless of whether you are going for silver or gold.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
You just need 4 eligible flights in total, not 6. If you have already done 2 this membership year you only need a further 2 regardless of whether you are going for silver or gold.
Thanks KARFA, this is music to my ears!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Any current sweet spots to get 205 TP by 8th Feb (or to be fair a fortnight after!) ?

I should have grabbed a Ł238 TLL a few weeks ago but was never convenient around Christmas.... budget is tight
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:05 am

Earn silver for RTW trip

Team, thanks so much for really useful info on this forum.

My husband & I are taking a 3 month trip in April. On the day we leave I will have 490 tier points. "My bookings" tells me that I will earn 120 points for our trip, so I will basically earn silver on our last flight, back to London.

It would be fantastic to have the lounge access for this trip as we are taking 9 flights, 8 of which are with BA, AA or Quantas.

I'm considering a JER business return before we go, for 80 points (Ł220 ish) which puts me at 570. The first flight on our trip is LHR-SYD (via LAX) economy, which I think is 30 points...voila 600.

I wanted to check that tier points are awarded during a trip (i.e it is possible to be bronze outwards and silver return), or would they all be awarded after all the travel is complete? Can I assume by the time we land in Sydney I will be silver and we will be able to access the lounges for all the following flights?

Anything else I'm missing or any advice very much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by missie123; Jan 9, 2017 at 6:21 am Reason: additional details
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by missie123

My husband & I are taking a 3 month trip in April. On the day we leave I will have 490 tier points. "My bookings" tells me that I will earn 120 points for our trip, so I will basically earn silver on our last flight, back to London.

It would be fantastic to have the lounge access for this trip as we are taking 9 flights, 8 of which are with BA, AA or Quantas.

I'm considering a JER business return before we go, for 80 points (Ł220 ish) which puts me at 570. The first flight on our trip is LHR-SYD (via LAX) economy, which I think is 30 points...voila 600.

I wanted to check that tier points are awarded during a trip (i.e it is possible to be bronze outwards and silver return), or would they all be awarded after all the travel is complete? Can I assume by the time we land in Sydney I will be silver and we will be able to access the lounges for all the following flights?

You will move up to Silver while you're away. It won't be by the time you land in Sydney - it can take a few days for the TPs to post after a flight, and then a couple more days for the change of tier to work through the system. You definitely won't have to wait til you get home though.

Have a good trip!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by missie123

Could you do a LHR-TLL run instead of the JER run? It's a similar price and will earn you 200TP getting you silver straight away so you would get lounge access for your LHR-SYD.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Hi,

So I've booked my first TP (and first BA longhaul) trip! So exciting! AMS-LHR-HKG-KHH-HKG-LHR-AMS
I'm then looking to book a separate LHR-AMS-LHR using avios reward saver to get me to and back from AMS.

I have a couple of questions:
1) I live 20mins from LHR, could I just ditch the last leg to AMS to save me booking a separate return and more importantly, save some time? It's a short flight so I don't mind too much, but it seems a bit of a hassle.

2) On the return legs, KHH-HKG is early morning, HKG-LHR is last thing in the (same) day. Can I leave the airport in HKG? Will my checked in luggage automatically keep going (ie I won't see them)?

3) Assuming I am going through the full set of legs on return ie KHH-HKG-LHR1-AMS-LHR2, can I send my check in luggage all the way from KHH-LHR2? Or do I have to do a transfer in AMS as thats the end of my first ticket? Is there anything to watch out for to make sure my luggage gets to the right destinations?

Thanks a bunch and looking forward to this (slightly daunting) trip!

4) Also, these are all Business (I,J) class, but I can only choose seats on the AMS legs and have to pay Ł99 to choose a seat on each LHR-HKG legs! Is that normal? It's on the A380 and I'd really like to be able to choose a seat in advance. Can't believe you have to pay even for biz class?

Last edited by benjai; Jan 9, 2017 at 7:37 am
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by benjai
Hi,

So I've booked my first TP (and first BA longhaul) trip! So exciting! AMS-LHR-HKG-KHH-HKG-LHR-AMS
I'm then looking to book a separate LHR-AMS-LHR using avios reward saver to get me to and back from AMS.

1) I live 20mins from LHR, could I just ditch the last leg to AMS to save me booking a separate return and more importantly, save some time? It's a short flight so I don't mind too much, but it seems a bit of a hassle.

2) On the return legs, KHH-HKG is early morning, HKG-LHR is last thing in the (same) day. Can I leave the airport in HKG? Will my checked in luggage automatically keep going (ie I won't see them)?

3) Assuming I am going through the full set of legs on return ie KHH-HKG-LHR1-AMS-LHR2, can I send my check in luggage all the way from KHH-LHR2? Or do I have to do a transfer in AMS as thats the end of my first ticket? Is there anything to watch out for to make sure my luggage gets to the right destinations?

4) Also, these are all Business (I,J) class, but I can only choose seats on the AMS legs and have to pay Ł99 to choose a seat on each LHR-HKG legs! Is that normal? It's on the A380 and I'd really like to be able to choose a seat in advance. Can't believe you have to pay even for biz class?
1) Frowned upon. Multiple info here: [Dropping the ex-EU] Last Leg - Forum info

2) Yes, you can leave the airport. Luggage will go on when on one ticket/PNR

3) A bag can't transit twice in the same airport (LHR-AMS-LHR). Plus, BA no longer interlines bags between different PNR.
At AMS, at the end of your 1st ticket, you have to collect and re-check your luggage.

4) Normal. BA policy is to pay to select seats, also in business class, for anyone without status or not on Full Flexy J.

Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Hi,

1) yes. Some will give you the spiel about contract-of-carriage etc. and will be technically correct but we never heard of any individual having any problems with this. However, you will have to retrieve your bag at LHR and offload yourself from the AMS connection. We always advise to plan in either an overnight at LHR or to plan your final AMS sector from a different London airport so you get your luggage at LHR

2) yes, assuming the whole jourey is a single PNR (booking)

3) see my answer to 1). Transfering LHR to return baggage to LHR is not permitted. The check-in agent will most probably insist on checking it to AMS, but you can try and convice to short-check to LHR.

4) that's BA policy I'm afraid, even in biz. Either get status or pay. Sorry.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Hi,
In my opinion I consider this a perk for having status with OW/BA.
This keeps seat choice open for frequent flyers with status.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
1) yes. Some will give you the spiel about contract-of-carriage etc. and will be technically correct but we never heard of any individual having any problems with this. However, you will have to retrieve your bag at LHR and offload yourself from the AMS connection. We always advise to plan in either an overnight at LHR or to plan your final AMS sector from a different London airport so you get your luggage at LHR

2) yes, assuming the whole jourey is a single PNR (booking)

3) see my answer to 1). Transfering LHR to return baggage to LHR is not permitted. The check-in agent will most probably insist on checking it to AMS, but you can try and convice to short-check to LHR.

4) that's BA policy I'm afraid, even in biz. Either get status or pay. Sorry.
Thanks everyone for the replies!

1,2,4 are ok.

on 3), what do you mean by 'short-check'? Can I do this at the transfer counter at AMS (ie not exit/reentry through customs)? Or do I have to exit completely and collect luggage?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks everyone for the replies!

1,2,4 are ok.

on 3), what do you mean by 'short-check'? Can I do this at the transfer counter at AMS (ie not exit/reentry through customs)? Or do I have to exit completely and collect luggage?
Short check means your ticket is HKG-LHR-AMS but you only want your bag checked to LHR, i.e. short of the destination.

You would have to collect your bag at AMS, exit landside, and then check it back in.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Short check means your ticket is HKG-LHR-AMS but you only want your bag checked to LHR, i.e. short of the destination.

You would have to collect your bag at AMS, exit landside, and then check it back in.
Thanks, got it. I will exit then re-checkin at AMS.

Silly question, but on the outbound, we have a 3 night stay in HKG. I presume the luggage will only go from AMS-LHR-HKG and we can pick it there? Sorry but I've never been on multi leg tickets before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.