Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I've been relegated to Bronze today, which is sod's law as for the first time I will be travelling a bit for work and J is definitely not allowed for me. Next month I will be off to India and Pakistan and then China and Taiwan.

The India and Pakistan trip will likely be LHR-BOM / ISB-DOH-LHR in WTP (except ISB-DOH). ITA has priced it up as all BA flight numbers, but obviously the middle sector is operated by QR.

If booked with our corporate TA, can any of the BA sectors be UuA'd to CW? I know normally if another carrier is on the PNR this can't be done, but I wondered if that was still the case if it's all on BA flight numbers. I don't have that many Avios at the moment anyway, and not sure I want to use them for a work trip, but thought I'd find out if it's even possible.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I've been relegated to Bronze today, which is sod's law as for the first time I will be travelling a bit for work and J is definitely not allowed for me. Next month I will be off to India and Pakistan and then China and Taiwan.

The India and Pakistan trip will likely be LHR-BOM / ISB-DOH-LHR in WTP (except ISB-DOH). ITA has priced it up as all BA flight numbers, but obviously the middle sector is operated by QR.

If booked with our corporate TA, can any of the BA sectors be UuA'd to CW? I know normally if another carrier is on the PNR this can't be done, but I wondered if that was still the case if it's all on BA flight numbers. I don't have that many Avios at the moment anyway, and not sure I want to use them for a work trip, but thought I'd find out if it's even possible.
Unfortunately all your flights have to be on BA metal if using a TA.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27691539-post7.html

The flights must be BA-coded and on BA metal. For example, a QF-codeshare on BA metal will not be eligible. If your booking includes non-BA flights, it will not be eligible for UuA.

Summary guide to bookings which can be upgraded with Avios:

BA issued tickets (can include other carriers) ^
TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights ^
TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
Tickets issued on non-BA stock
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by PETER01
Unfortunately all your flights have to be on BA metal if using a TA.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27691539-post7.html

The flights must be BA-coded and on BA metal. For example, a QF-codeshare on BA metal will not be eligible. If your booking includes non-BA flights, it will not be eligible for UuA.
Thanks - sorry I should have looked a bit harder! I guess I could ask them to split the ticket, or book it myself if there's availability. Thanks for the info, though.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Thanks - sorry I should have looked a bit harder! I guess I could ask them to split the ticket, or book it myself if there's availability. Thanks for the info, though.
let me know when you are at LHR, would love to guest you in if our paths cross again my friend!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:56 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Can someone explain to me when I search GRU-LIM R/T in Y BA is pricing out the award at 100k miles for two people. It is a direct flight on LATAM with no stops.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
Can someone explain to me when I search GRU-LIM R/T in Y BA is pricing out the award at 100k miles for two people. It is a direct flight on LATAM with no stops.
One way in Y for one person prices at 12500 Avios + Ł 38.20 which is correct for that band. For one people as a rtn it is showing 25000 Avios + Ł 61.70.

What dates are you looking at?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:22 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by KARFA
One way in Y for one person prices at 12500 Avios + Ł 38.20 which is correct for that band. For one people as a rtn it is showing 25000 Avios + Ł 61.70.

What dates are you looking at?
April 20th - 23rd, now it's pricing at 120k R/T in Y and 100k in Y outbound and C inbound...I'm very confused.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
April 20th - 23rd, now it's pricing at 120k R/T in Y and 100k in Y outbound and C inbound...I'm very confused.
Are you mixing JJ and LA codes? And thereby pushing yourself into the multi-partner award chart, rather than the normal sector-by-sector pricing?

Is there any reason why two one-way tickets doesn't work?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Are you mixing JJ and LA codes? And thereby pushing yourself into the multi-partner award chart, rather than the normal sector-by-sector pricing?

Is there any reason why two one-way tickets doesn't work?
I did not know that was a "thing", but yes that's what is happening. I can split it up.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I did not know that was a "thing", but yes that's what is happening. I can split it up.
From the multi-partner part of the guide:
While standard redemptions present an excellent range of route options, they are limited to travel on BA and or one partner airline. Multi-partner redemptions offer an infinite range of options, tapping into the full global network of BA and its oneworld partner carriers combined but they usually require a greater number of Avios Points than standard redemptions. In many cases significantly more Avios points.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27691534-post4.html
As noted by Karfa, if you try to use two oneworld partner it pushes your redemption into a different redemption chart.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:45 am

Recently booked an award trip on JAL. Should the reservation show up in my BA account? Submitting my info for "Find My Booking" doesn't do anything. Can't tell if the sites broken or if my reservation is gone from BA. Checking under checkmytrip.com, I still see the reservation as confirmed for JAL.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
You should find some help in these threads:-
caburrito likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Blue
Is it possible to use a companion voucher to purchase Premium Economy seats and then UuA to Club - assuming availability of course
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chrismk
Is it possible to use a companion voucher to purchase Premium Economy seats and then UuA to Club - assuming availability of course
A reward booking can't be UuA'ed. If there was availability in J then you could just book straight in to J.

Are you looking to book WTP now and then upgrade later to J if J reward seats appear? If so you can do that but it is a change rather than a UuA. You pay the extra avios, the extra taxes/charges/fees, and unlike a UuA you would also pay a change fee of Ł35 per passenger.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Blue
Thanks KARFA!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.