Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
I confirmed availability and had quite a long conversation with the call centre staff member who remained adamant that a fee was payable although acknowledging it was not possible to book via the website. According to the QF website the flight is operated by QF themselves (it clearly shows the SYD-CHC flight as being operated by Jetconnect so I am confident it is correct).
Quite honestly since I can book using my EK miles I prefer not to to waste another 20 minutes on the lottery that any interaction with BA seems to have become.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
OK, interesting - seems to be a tiny subset that JetConnect don't operate - not sure if it's route-based or just a certain number.

Very disappointing CS approach from BA given how poorly their website functions - esp with everything they've gone through recently I'd have hoped they were trying to be most customer-friendly!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
Any way to check if reward seats have been released?

I'm trying to book edi-lhr-nrt in F with a 241 for next May. Of course the entire week I'm looking at (depart 8th may on BA0005) has no F or J availability at all but the other weeks do. Is there a way to find out if the award availability was released and snapped up or just hasn't been released at all for some reason? Wondering if I should book the trip in Feb instead or hang on for possible reward seat release for this May week and risk being disappointed.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Ruth4325
I'm trying to book edi-lhr-nrt in F with a 241 for next May. Of course the entire week I'm looking at (depart 8th may on BA0005) has no F or J availability at all but the other weeks do. Is there a way to find out if the award availability was released and snapped up or just hasn't been released at all for some reason? Wondering if I should book the trip in Feb instead or hang on for possible reward seat release for this May week and risk being disappointed.
You probably know that BA commit to releasing 2 J seats per flight, and they do seem to meet that commitment so I think you can assume the seats have been taken. There's no such commitment for F, but since the weeks before and more importantly after have similar availability, I think you can assume your week was either taken or never opened: in a sense it matters not which - it's not likely to be (re-)opened up any time soon if the week after already has been.

Your week seems to be just after Golden Week. It might be a reasonable guess that the seats have been taken by ex-TYOers returning from a holiday trip to Europe.

A typical plan B for getting to Asia is to consider going via PEK (hopefully just one way). That costs less avios (covering the cost of your connection), the times are a little less painful IMHO and availability is good. But you probably need more holiday time to fit that in and/or a desire to spend a day or two in PEK (you can transit-without-visa for 72hrs so it's a potentially simple chance to see some sights).
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm trying to get a flight from Saigon to Cebu City and see that CX flies this route from SGN to HKG to CEB. If I book this with avios will I have to pay additional fees like fuel surcharges? I thought there was some sort of rule against fuel surcharges in HKG and/or Phillipines?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Red259
I'm trying to get a flight from Saigon to Cebu City and see that CX flies this route from SGN to HKG to CEB. If I book this with avios will I have to pay additional fees like fuel surcharges? I thought there was some sort of rule against fuel surcharges in HKG and/or Phillipines?
The rule against fuel charges for HKG is only for bookings which start at HKG. If you book SGN-HKG-CEB you will pay. However if you booked it as two tickets you would pay on SGN-HKG but not on HKG-CEB.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Is there a possibility to solve the following problem:
I need an award ticket HND-HKG-KUL (CX/KA) in Businesss wich shows me availibility at BA.com with a 1:05h stop in HKG. But its not bookable at the end of the booking process with the following words "The last ticket is already booked by another EC member"
If I check both legs seperatly there is enough availibility in Business. Hotline told me they can't book this in one ticket. I'm sure its a married segment problem....but I don't wanne risk to book seperat tickets in case of delay @HKG
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by guv1976
Absolutely -- with or without a stopover in LHR on the return.

In fact, depending on how many segments BA allows ​​​​on such a reward, you might even be able to book a second long-haul trip out of LHR in the future. ��
Any idea how many flights I can get out of this?

So far I have planned. LHR-DXB-LHR-JFK-LHR for 180,000 Avios in J. But for another 20,000 miles I get another 6,000 miles to play with. Can I come back to LHR and go off BKK?

Also say if my first flight is in Dec 17 I can only book until June 18 as of now. Can I change the last flights to Dec 18 after I fly the first segments.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Any idea how many flights I can get out of this?

So far I have planned. LHR-DXB-LHR-JFK-LHR for 180,000 Avios in J. But for another 20,000 miles I get another 6,000 miles to play with. Can I come back to LHR and go off BKK?

Also say if my first flight is in Dec 17 I can only book until June 18 as of now. Can I change the last flights to Dec 18 after I fly the first segments.
If BA follows the rules that AA followed when it offered distance-based, multi-partner awards, you would not be able to stop over at LON if your award began or ended there. The work-around is to start and end at another city -- say NCL or EDI -- in which case you could have two connections and one stopover in LON, and two connections and one stopover at MAN. (There is some non-BA oneworld service out of MAN.) You would then use separate tickets or ground transportation to get between your stopover points and your home city.

But I have no idea if BA follows AA's rules in that regard.

AA permitted 16 segments; not sure what BA's limit is.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
If BA follows the rules that AA followed when it offered distance-based, multi-partner awards, you would not be able to stop over at LON if your award began or ended there. The work-around is to start and end at another city -- say NCL or EDI -- in which case you could have two connections and one stopover in LON, and two connections and one stopover at MAN. (There is some non-BA oneworld service out of MAN.) You would then use separate tickets or ground transportation to get between your stopover points and your home city.

But I have no idea if BA follows AA's rules in that regard.

AA permitted 16 segments; not sure what BA's limit is.
Ok thanks. Going to give it a shot. Will update here.

Would anyone know the answer to this?

Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
BA allows up to 8 sectors on a redemption booking.

To your second question, yes that's fine - and you can do so as soon as they come into range.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlysuites
How about EDI-LHR(BA)-DOH-BOM-DOH-LHR(QR)-MAD(IB)? That should work right? Can I have a month long stop in LHR before the MAD flight? I have miles left in the allowance.
You picked the only destionation that won't work - all LHR-MAD flights are "BA flights". You'll need the LGW-MAD flight or any other city.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA6501

To your second question, yes that's fine - and you can do so as soon as they come into range.
Thank you very much. ^
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501

You're saying that on a ticketed redemption booking, BA will let you change flight dates to dates that are more than one year after the redemption ticketing date?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes unlike AA. The rule is the first flight must be flown within one year of ticketing, and any subsequent flights within one year from the date of the first flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.