Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold and Honors Gold
Could anyone help me with explaining the difference in upgrade prices we got quoted for the route DUS-LHR-LAX-SJC-LAX-LHR-DUS with the upgraded part being LHR-LAX-LHR?
I got quoted 245 euro and my partner, same route, date booked and fare got quoted 292 euro. YQ on our ticket is 130 for PE, the same route completely in BC was YQ 422. This seems to be the 292 difference quoted, but we didn't upgrade the full ticket.
I already called BA back as also told here on the forum, the lady I first spoke told me my 245 was rifght but had to speak with a supervisor as it was on a German Holiday. I got called back the next day (Dutch-speaking lady) and she sticks to the 292 euro is correct and the 245 was a lucky shot as the first guy forgot to calculate some taxes. I can't really believe that as we only did upgrade the LHR-LAX-LHR flights and the rest stays in economy. The lady even told me if I would like the rest to be upgraded I even had to pay more. How is that possible, then we pay more YQ as the BC ticket was on the same day? I spoke with the German office, and now spoke different persons quoting different amounts.

Could somebody tell me what the right amount should be? I think the estimate of 245 could be correct, with being the difference in 292-245 for the other parts of the ticket.

The thing is BA can quote everything but they can't seem to show me how the calculated something and everyone is telling me something different at BA.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by kevinvdwal
Could somebody tell me what the right amount should be? I think the estimate of 245 could be correct, with being the difference in 292-245 for the other parts of the ticket.

The thing is BA can quote everything but they can't seem to show me how the calculated something and everyone is telling me something different at BA.
I don’t have a definitive answer for you but as no one else has tried, here’s my best.

From what I’ve seen, it may be that YQs are decided point-to-point not leg-by-leg. We know they vary by departure point (A-B not equal to B-A) and for a trip like DUS-LHR-LAX I’ve never seen the YQ in 2 parts (and A-B-C not equal A-B plus B-C).

As such it may be that there is no YQ for a Y/J mixed class outbound (or inbound). Hence you are having to pay the J/J YQ even if your first leg is not upgraded. I can’t prove that, because you can’t prove a single fare element in mixed classes - any J fare puts you in J shorthaul too - but that would be the very reason only a J/J YQ exists.

The closest I can get to demonstrate this is, a bit randomly, a dummy avios booking. If I search DUS-LAX one way then choose an overnight stopover (<24hr) in LON, I can choose the flights individually Y/J or J/J. The former won’t then let me through to the booking page, but both options preview the taxes as the same £530. Which implies the YQ is the same for both (if the IT problem hasn’t misled me).
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold and Honors Gold
Originally Posted by pauldb
I don’t have a definitive answer for you but as no one else has tried, here’s my best.

From what I’ve seen, it may be that YQs are decided point-to-point not leg-by-leg. We know they vary by departure point (A-B not equal to B-A) and for a trip like DUS-LHR-LAX I’ve never seen the YQ in 2 parts (and A-B-C not equal A-B plus B-C).

As such it may be that there is no YQ for a Y/J mixed class outbound (or inbound). Hence you are having to pay the J/J YQ even if your first leg is not upgraded. I can’t prove that, because you can’t prove a single fare element in mixed classes - any J fare puts you in J shorthaul too - but that would be the very reason only a J/J YQ exists.

The closest I can get to demonstrate this is, a bit randomly, a dummy avios booking. If I search DUS-LAX one way then choose an overnight stopover (<24hr) in LON, I can choose the flights individually Y/J or J/J. The former won’t then let me through to the booking page, but both options preview the taxes as the same £530. Which implies the YQ is the same for both (if the IT problem hasn’t misled me).
Seems plausible to me. Thanks for your explanation. I really can't do anything about it anymore, but the difference in prices is what triggered me. Could have upgraded the other parts too for little avios without the upgrade costs it looks like now, but it is just short flights.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Anyone else not see JAL award availability? Flights seem to have disappeared from yesterday on a good few routes and doubt they have just been booked....
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Anyone else not see JAL award availability? Flights seem to have disappeared from yesterday on a good few routes and doubt they have just been booked....
JAL is moving to a new reservation system (Amadeus); disruptions are expected. See this thread in JAL forum:
JAL will be migrating to Amadeus on Nov 16, 2017
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
JAL is moving to a new reservation system (Amadeus); disruptions are expected. See this thread in JAL forum:
JAL will be migrating to Amadeus on Nov 16, 2017
That would be why....Thank you.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Fee for cancelling an award

What's the penalty fee for cancelling an award? I guess there's no leeway for Gold members either., right?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What's the penalty fee for cancelling an award? I guess there's no leeway for Gold members either., right?
£35.00 per person, or the cash amount actually paid if lower. Ordinary Golds pay this too.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Since American doesn't have good availability of rewards seats to use with Avios, what is the best use for them now for someone in the Southwest US?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question again...

I paid for the ticket via Paypal. 20 quid. So does that mean it will cost me an additional 15 quid or will BA refund the previous amount and charge the full £35 fee?

Also what is the cut off? My award flight is on the 23rd. Is it 24 hours prior?

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Nov 19, 2017 at 9:22 am
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question again...

I paid for the ticket in Paypal. 20 quid. So does that mean it will cost me an additional 15 quid or will BA refund the previous amount and charge the full £35 fee?
The answer has not changed since Friday:-
Originally Posted by Globaliser
£35.00 per person, or the cash amount actually paid if lower.
This is in post number 2 of this thread, the information in which has been carefully collated to provide a quick guide to the rules.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Question again...

I paid for the ticket in Paypal. 20 quid. So does that mean it will cost me an additional 15 quid or will BA refund the previous amount and charge the full £35 fee?

They don;t charge more than you have paid, and it is precisely 24hrs before.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
They don;t charge more than you have paid, and it is precisely 24hrs before.
Ok. So i paid £20. I just don't get this sum back right? But will I get the miles back?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:43 am

Ok. So i paid £20. I just don't get this sum back right? But will I get the miles back?
Correct.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But will I get the miles back?
I'm not sure how this part of the sticky post (to which I have already linked) could be any clearer:-
Originally Posted by Prospero
Cancellations are also permitted. So long as you cancel your ticket no later than 24 hours prior to the departure of the first flight sector on your ticket, you will receive a full refund of Avios Points as well as the taxes, fees, and surcharges paid minus a nominal redeposit fee (£35.00/€42.50/US$55.00). The additional offline fee also applies to redeposits.
I've put it into bold in case it was difficult to see that part of the sentence.
EDIflyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.