Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Newbie here.
I got questions about UuA.

I want to book flights LAX-LHR-CDG-LHR-LAX in premium economy, but the search results show mix cabin fares with World Traveller Plus (T) and Euro Traveller (K) which is fine because LHR-CDG segment is very short.
Now when I try to book with money, upgrade with Avios for outbound flights only, for example, it tries to upgrade all the way (LAX-LHR-CDG) and the final fare becomes very expensive (more than 3 times) even I pick exact the same flights. When I tries to upgrade inbound flights only, it gives me error when it calculates fare...

Q1: Is it possible to book tickets online first then try to upgrade a partial segment (LAX-LHR or LHR-LAX ) online? Or, do I need to call BA to do that?

Q2: I figured upgrading the LHR-LAX segment requires 30,000 Avois plus extra fee. How much would the extra fee be about?

Q3: I want to earn AA miles instead of Avios for this trip besides upgrading my seat with Avios. Is that possible? If yes, what is the best course of action?

Thank you
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:07 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Comments in line regarding our situation.

Originally Posted by MrJBoy

I want to book flights LAX-LHR-CDG-LHR-LAX in premium economy, but the search results show mix cabin fares with World Traveller Plus (T) and Euro Traveller (K) which is fine because LHR-CDG segment is very short.
Now when I try to book with money, upgrade with Avios for outbound flights only, for example, it tries to upgrade all the way (LAX-LHR-CDG) and the final fare becomes very expensive (more than 3 times) even I pick exact the same flights. When I tries to upgrade inbound flights only, it gives me error when it calculates fare...

Q1: Is it possible to book tickets online first then try to upgrade a partial segment (LAX-LHR or LHR-LAX ) online? Or, do I need to call BA to do that?

brp: We booked BA vacation packages where we did just this- bought PE and upgraded the TATL (and not the intra-Europe) segments with Avios. In this case it was SFO-LHR and SJC-LHR. It was much easier to call, and all phone fees were waived

Q2: I figured upgrading the LHR-LAX segment requires 30,000 Avois plus extra fee. How much would the extra fee be about?

brp: In our case the initial assessment showed an added fee, but the agent advised that it would likely go away. After booking, things came back at the same price (or actually a tad lower) after the upgrade from PE->J

Q3: I want to earn AA miles instead of Avios for this trip besides upgrading my seat with Avios. Is that possible? If yes, what is the best course of action?

brp: Book with BA number and get it all finalised. Then go to Royal Jordanian (rj.com) and change to AAdvantage number after-the-fact. Then pick seats (based on status). This is what I did.

Thank you
Cheers.
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:11 pm

I suspect I know the answer to this from the guide at the front - but I wanted to be clear:

I have a booking which has an AA flight in but BA coded.

For the NON-AA flights in the booking - do they have to fall into the 'AA-BA-IB' rules of being in the top booking codes (F,J,W) or can I do it from all the normal codes in order to UUA?

For that matter - does it matter for the BA flights at all? I feel sure I've done a UUA on a mixed itinerary before but it's so hard to remember.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:11 pm

Looking to use a Lloyds Upgrade Voucher shortly to go to NYC in economy then back in premium economy with BA.. i've noticed doing dummy bookings that PE seems to go quickly..what is the best time to book -355 days then try and book after midnight a la BA AMEX 2-4-1 voucher ?
TIA

Last edited by argonath; Sep 5, 2017 at 4:11 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
BA only guarantees release of availability in Y and J (4 and 2 respectively). You can't count on WT+ being available.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Prospero

Is there a possible error in the UUA table above - it seems that the figures in the lower half of the table for upgrades from WT+ to CW are reversed?

i.e. Distance 4001 - 5500, WT+ to CW says
30000 Off Peak
25000 Peak

Apologies if this is already noted somewhere in the thread
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by plunet
Is there a possible error in the UUA table above - it seems that the figures in the lower half of the table for upgrades from WT+ to CW are reversed?

i.e. Distance 4001 - 5500, WT+ to CW says
30000 Off Peak
25000 Peak

Apologies if this is already noted somewhere in the thread
It is a quirk of how you calculate the cost. From part 01 of post 7 of the guide:
The cost of using this mechanism to upgrade to Club World and First on long haul increased substantially on 28 April 2015 and as the calculation is now based on variable rates, you need to check a) what is the flight distance? and b) does the flight date fall into peak or off peak? Once you’ve established these two factors, you can work out the cost to upgrade your flight. A 12 month forward view of peak and off peak dates is published on BA.com. See here and navigate to “Working out the cost”.
So for example, let’s say you want to book a return from London to San Francisco, moving from World Traveller Plus to Club World. The basic fare is (say) £900 including taxes. Upgrading from World Traveller Plus to Club World. As this route distance falls into band 6, the upgrade cost will be 30,000 Avios for an off-peak date or 25,000 Avios for a peak date plus any upward adjustment in carrier charges.
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28459763-post4.html
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Indeed - it has increased the value of the Lloyds Avios card upgrade voucher as a result (as with it you travel in CW but pay WT+ Avios pricing ^)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
It is a quirk of how you calculate the cost. From part 01 of post 7 of the guide:

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28459763-post4.html
Thanks for confirming its actually not a mistake. It's definitely a quirk of how BA calculates the cost. I looked at it last night and thought that can't be right... The intern who got tasked with dreaming up the UUA cost schedule must have been smoking something that day lol.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I recently booked a business award on Dragonair from HKG to KTM for 11,000 avios plus GBP 108, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

However, when I look at the avios redemption rates for business class at the beginning of this thread, I'm a little surprised that the increase in avios required between the various distance bands is not linear. For example, it appears it would be somewhat less expensive to redeem 2 x 2000 mile awards than 1 x 4,000 mile award.

I expect that this has been discussed previously, but can anyone explain how this is justified?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Grace B
However, when I look at the avios redemption rates for business class at the beginning of this thread, I'm a little surprised that the increase in avios required between the various distance bands is not linear. For example, it appears it would be somewhat less expensive to redeem 2 x 2000 mile awards than 1 x 4,000 mile award.

I expect that this has been discussed previously, but can anyone explain how this is justified?
Why does it need justification? And why should it be linear? Air fares have never been priced per mile, and it should be no surprise that awards are not priced per mile either.

For a more concrete answer, a pointer may be provided by having a look at BA-operated flights. Think what sort of seat and service you'll get if you fly on a 2,000-mile flight (say, London-Larnaca). Then think what sort of seat and service you'll get if you fly on a 4,000-mile flight (say, London-Chicago).
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:38 am

Sorry if this has been answered already

If I call BA and book WT+ flights with one MH segment in - can I UUA the BA segments?

I know you can't if you book via a TA, but it's not clear in the wiki about what happens if I book direct
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Sorry if this has been answered already

If I call BA and book WT+ flights with one MH segment in - can I UUA the BA segments?

I know you can't if you book via a TA, but it's not clear in the wiki about what happens if I book direct
If it is a straight forward booking with BA then yes you can UuA (assuming there is availability in Club World)

Just call them up and it should be fine. More info here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27694694-post6.html

Upgrading Using Avios (UuA) & Gold Upgrade Vouchers (GUF)
A quick note on doing UuAs is that you can do these for exEU itineraries (or you can apply a GUF if you have any). The following restrictions for UuAs apply though:

Summary guide to bookings which can be upgraded with Avios:
BA issued tickets (can include other carriers) ^
TA issued (on BA stock) booking with only BA flights ^
TA issued (on BA stock) booking with other carriers
Tickets issued on non-BA stock

Last edited by PETER01; Sep 11, 2017 at 7:17 am
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:47 am

Cheers PETER01 - yes by some miracle there are 2 x CW seats and I just found a very well priced WT+ fare - so I will get on the phone now!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Cheers PETER01 - yes by some miracle there are 2 x CW seats and I just found a very well priced WT+ fare - so I will get on the phone now!
Good luck! ^

I think there may be a little extra tax to pay but I am not sure of the general figure although I have £78 in my head!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.