Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Haha yep, agreed!!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Can anyone offer me advise on trying to get a redemption to go from Florence (ideally) or Milan or Bologna to Frankfurt? The flights I find are on BA metal and tend to be in J, but I am wondering if there is a way to do this where its like a single segment from a partner vs going to London and then back and being charged two segments.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Red259
Can anyone offer me advise on trying to get a redemption to go from Florence (ideally) or Milan or Bologna to Frankfurt? The flights I find are on BA metal and tend to be in J, but I am wondering if there is a way to do this where its like a single segment from a partner vs going to London and then back and being charged two segments.
I think the closest you will find would be AB flights to DUS. But make sure you note AB's troubles such that it may not be around in a few months (best case but no guarantee BA would reroute you).

Given that LH appear to fly FLR-FRA direct I think you might be better paying cash in this case.

Or you could chance your hand with BA/AB if it's months away: they might ultimately offer you FRA via LON as a reroute, but have a plan B.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:59 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Avios Part Payment - to gain TPs

My employer books economy in Europe, which is fine. I am trying to evaluate whether it is sensible to pay the extra for CE, then part-pay with Avios to bring the price back down to where it should be for the economy fare? It will typically be about 15,000 Avios to save Ł100. That would generate 60-70 TPs.
Mathematically it is probably not the most sensible use, but it is as much about the opportunity. If I did this 10 times in a year, I could generate 600-700 TPs, which may be significant at the end of the year.
I hope I have explained my conundrum. Anyone else thought about this please?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by squeeler
My employer books economy in Europe, which is fine. I am trying to evaluate whether it is sensible to pay the extra for CE, then part-pay with Avios to bring the price back down to where it should be for the economy fare?
You should really run this by your employer first. Many larger companies don't watch or care as much about specific air fares as they do about employees circumventing their rules.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
If I use the Gold priority reward and book for next summer can I still cancel it for free if I drop a tier by then?

Also does BA offer soft landings to Silver?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by onlysuites
If I use the Gold priority reward and book for next summer can I still cancel it for free if I drop a tier by then?

Also does BA offer soft landings to Silver?
I would have thought so as it is more how the reward has been booked, but don't know for certain.

Yes to soft landings though - to Silver then the following year to Bronze - unless the card was a 'partner card' from a GGL, they aren't eligible for the same soft landing policy.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Apologies if already answered somewhere in here, but can anyone advise based on personal experience or reference to the rules ...

If I make an open jaw Avios booking LON - X / Y - LON and X and Y are in the same country, if availability opens up for X - LON on the return, could I alter the return routing without having to re-book (obviously an issue if LON- X is no longer available) ?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Apologies if already answered somewhere in here, but can anyone advise based on personal experience or reference to the rules ...

If I make an open jaw Avios booking LON - X / Y - LON and X and Y are in the same country, if availability opens up for X - LON on the return, could I alter the return routing without having to re-book (obviously an issue if LON- X is no longer available) ?
The issue isn't whether X/Y are in the same country, they need to be in the same distance band. You can change a flight from NYC to IAD but not from MIA to IAD.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I just thought I'd share a little experience I had yesterday when looking to redeem some avios for a LHR-SOF Y class award in October.

I plugged the details into the BA website and it spat out that it would cost me 10,000 avios + GBP17.50, which I thought was overall rather too much.

So I checked what a BA revenue ticket would cost and it came out at around GBP85, which I thought was still a bit higher than I'd like to pay (although I would have paid that if it was the best I could do).

Then I thought, why not check some other options, and I ended up booking Ryanair STN-SOF for about GBP41, which included an exit row seat (1A) and priority boarding, with guaranteed carry on. And from my recent experience, seat 1A on a Ryanair 738 beats most Y seats on a BA 321.

OK, so STN isn't the greatest place, but if you're only there for an hour or two it's not too bad, and saving over GBP40 for a 3-hour flight with a similar schedule is quite acceptable. Just as well I don't need any more TP's at the moment.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
The best value for Avios at the moment is on MIA-CCS flights. AA (and almost all airlines still serving Venezuela) is charging a fortune to fly MIA-CCS in Y (>$1000), if you can find saver availability it's just 20K avios+$30 roundtrip.

If anyone knows a Venezuelan stuck trying to leave this might be a good solution.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
IAD-DEL

i have 140k Avios and want to use to fly to India in economy. British Airways comes up with very few flights and high surcharges. I don't see any Qatar flights. Any ideas how to successfully use Avios to fly to Delhi and back?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
For Qatar flights, search segment by segment.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:47 pm

Part pay - available on mixed WT and WT+?

Title says it really. I'm looking to mix WT and WT+ to Washington.

The website says that there's no option to do that.

I'm happy to be in WT for the day flight but I'd like WT+ for the night return, with a possible option to upgrade to CW.

Sorry if I've missed this earler

Bill
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I have PRG-LHR-ORG on hold until Sunday using AA Saver miles. The taxes and fees are listed at $230.52 + $355 for 2 J seats which seems reasonable to me. I know if I ticket this I can look to change the BA 295 to AA metal - flight is July 13 not sure how much I would save. Should I book rows 17-20 EF, traveling with my wife?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.