Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, UA Mileage Plus, BD Diamond Club
Evening all, I was wondering if someone could explain the best way to now book EI transatlantic flight following their move to Avios? I have always done through BAEC for the no fees and low Avios especially for Dub-Bos.
Grateful if someone could give me the low down on the way now.
Many thanks
SteveBerch
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by SteveBerch
Evening all, I was wondering if someone could explain the best way to now book EI transatlantic flight following their move to Avios? I have always done through BAEC for the no fees and low Avios especially for Dub-Bos.
Grateful if someone could give me the low down on the way now.
Many thanks
SteveBerch
You can still call BA and do it that way, should be the same low fees/Avios as opposed to booking via AerClub.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, UA Mileage Plus, BD Diamond Club
Thanks Flashware, any thoughts on which one provides better value these days, I havent quite got to understand AerClub yet
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by SteveBerch
Thanks Flashware, any thoughts on which one provides better value these days, I havent quite got to understand AerClub yet
For now, BA ^
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:48 pm

Is it me or BA jacked up YQ once more?
I had booked a ticket on JL w avios a month ago.
HND-SFO in Y. YQ was 90.85 USD.
I checked pricing once more today, same flight on another day now costs 123.97. NO way this is due to currency fluctuation.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:52 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
If I tried to upgrade all 4 segments (SJC-LHR-FCO return), it wanted something like an additional $700. However, if we upgraded only the longhaul (which is the important part anyway), the final fare he quoted me was $2 more than what I saw for the Premium Economy booking online. So, basically, no additional net.

A two hour flight in Economy versus Club Europe is minimal sacrifice

Oh, and it also saves the 45000 Avios for upgrading the intra-Europe segments as well.
I wanted to circle back round on this as I've just done a second similar booking for February (SJC-LHR-OSL return).

The flight+hotel package price came in at $2611 in Premium Economy (versus about $3600 for the flights alone).

Called to upgrade with Avios and spoke with someone different as Martin was not available. She indicated initially that it looked like about $600 more per person, but said that she can't see the final until they put it though, so I needed to give the $400 deposit, she would check and I could cancel if I didn't like it. She suspected that the additional would melt away.

And it did. I saw the booking email about 10 minutes later- at the original package price. No additional for the upgrade YQ. She rang back and confirmed.

All very nice in the end, and very AA EQD-friendly

Cheers.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC GGL, Delta Platinum
Always a hassle trying to book with a GUF2 online. Found a nice sale ex DE, which is only available until today and cant book online. The price jumps by 2K per person. Wonder when they will ever fix this issue. Cant call my TA today.....
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I need clarification. Can't I use Avios to book reward (Economy MileSaaver) seats on American metal? Did something change?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:19 pm

Hi, this may be a dumb question... I was wondering if there is any difference in taxes/surcharges between booking an Aer Lingus flight (DUB to IAD) with avios on Avios.com vs calling BA to book the flight? I feel like it should be the same, but sometimes the difference in taxes/surcharges between different airlines confuse me.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I need clarification. Can't I use Avios to book reward (Economy MileSaaver) seats on American metal? Did something change?
You should be able to do - although I take you are trying to do so through BA.com rather than on AA.com? (sorry for the basic question but not everyone realises that's how the system works)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
You should be able to do - although I take you are trying to do so through BA.com rather than on AA.com? (sorry for the basic question but not everyone realises that's how the system works)
I'm trying to do it through AA.com. I have always looked for milesaaver seats on American Airlines and then called BA to book the seats. I called back again and they said that there was no availability, but that they could book AA seats using Avios.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Ah OK as long as you're calling BA to book - agree that normally the Milesaver seats should be available but I did notice some phantom availability even when using AA miles that then either disappeared when I clicked through to the next page or became a connecting flight. Have you tried searching availability on BA.com?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: UA Plat
After browsing BA.com for long haul upgrade availability for two of us and quitting after finding out that in addition to the Avios I would have to pay taxes and fees that were more than the base ticket price, I got a survey from BA today asking why I didn't complete the booking. I was glad to get it because I just feel so ripped off every time I use my Avios. I let em have it! No upgrade availability for all of October and November, $1,500 per ticket in upgrade award fees for a different routing that added 5 hours to the journey, and no upgrade availability on the inbound on that routing. Not to mention $225 per ticket in seat selection fees on top of the base fare. I ended up giving my $7,000 to KLM.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
After browsing BA.com for long haul upgrade availability for two of us and quitting after finding out that in addition to the Avios I would have to pay taxes and fees that were more than the base ticket price, I got a survey from BA today asking why I didn't complete the booking. I was glad to get it because I just feel so ripped off every time I use my Avios. I let em have it! No upgrade availability for all of October and November, $1,500 per ticket in upgrade award fees for a different routing that added 5 hours to the journey, and no upgrade availability on the inbound on that routing. Not to mention $225 per ticket in seat selection fees on top of the base fare. I ended up giving my $7,000 to KLM.
any details of what route and cabins you were looking at?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Quick question.

About to book my parents a holiday to Greece. Going to buy economy tickets. EDI-LGW-SKG. I would like to upgrade the return with avios but only the SKG-LGW leg. Is this possible or do I have to upgrade the domestic also? Both gold so lounge access no problem etc. Many thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.