Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, BA Gold, Sindbad Gold
Can ayone help me. Im getting really annoyed as im trying to find JAL seats in business class from FRA, CDG or LHR to TYO. Cant find anything... Anyone know why their is never seats with them? BA, CX and AY plenty.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
question regarding saver awards.

I forgot my BARCLAY VISA not credits to BA anymore, so i not see any saver awards anymore.
Is it enough to transfer 1 SPG point to my AVIOS ? to keep this choice active ? Or has the 1 AVIOS to be earned through a flight / hotelstay or carhire ?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
a little lost

newbie here, so please excuse my ignorance... i transferred a bunch of chase ultimate points to british airways and was able to book for a flight within europe with no problems. however, i am based in los angeles and trying to figure out how to book direct flights to DC using AVIOS points. thank you for your assistance.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 29, 2017 at 9:30 am Reason: Remove large quote from post #3 to improve readability
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by happytravelskh
newbie here, so please excuse my ignorance... i transferred a bunch of chase ultimate points to british airways and was able to book for a flight within europe with no problems. however, i am based in los angeles and trying to figure out how to book direct flights to DC using AVIOS points. thank you for your assistance.
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board happytravelskh ^

Once youre logged into your BA Executive Club account follow these steps.

1) Hover over Executive Club then click on 'Spending Avios'

2) In the left hand column click on Reward Flights

3) Then click on Finding and Booking your Reward Flight

4) You will then see Book a Reward Flight so click on that

5) Put in your destinations LAX to IAD and which cabin you are looking for.

I can see as a random example the 4th April in AA Economy for details and I see this.

12500 Avios + Ł 4.50 (about 6 Dollars ish)

There isn't availability on every day and not always in every cabin and availability fluctuates for many reasons. Peak season, holidays, weekends etc

You can also find more information here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...7-edition.html

Hope this helps and any questions fire away! I'm no expert but there are many other members with greater knowedge than myself who might wish to add more info but that's the basics

Pete
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
pete - thanks for your help. seems for such flights, it's equal to American.
I think i'm going to have to try to use for vancouver or possibly hawaii, where less miles for same trip. it is def quite a game to play.

cheers!

it's amazing how much time all of this takes, which i suppose is somewhat fun. i'm still trying to work out this site and not even sure how the reply stuff is on each different question.
ughh!!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
UuA query -- how long does it take the credit card to be charged? I UuAed an SJC-LHR flight last Friday (for the first time ever), and while the Avios were pulled almost immediately, the credit card I provided to cover the difference in YQ still hasn't been charged. Given this...

1. Do I need to call to set things straight or will this eventually resolve?
2. Does this happen frequently? I'm actually relocating to London this fall, so I imagine there will be a lot more UuAing in my future!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
1. Do I need to call to set things straight or will this eventually resolve?
Almost certainly, this will sort itself out. The cash will be taken when the ticket is re-issued. It sounds like your booking is in the usual re-ticketing queue. This can take weeks or sometimes (frustratingly) months as it's prioritised by departure date. But it should happen without further intervention.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I have been searching for awards using Avios on the BA site. I can run a search and get back results but when i want to change my search parameters, i get the following error:

Sorry, there seems to be a technical problem. Please try again in a few minutes, and please contact us if it still doesn't work.
We apologise for the inconvenience.

The only way to clear this error is to logout and log back in again. Anyone know how to fix this problem?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:10 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cityfishing
I have been searching for awards using Avios on the BA site. I can run a search and get back results but when i want to change my search parameters, i get the following error:

Sorry, there seems to be a technical problem. Please try again in a few minutes, and please contact us if it still doesn't work.
We apologise for the inconvenience.

The only way to clear this error is to logout and log back in again. Anyone know how to fix this problem?
I was getting this as well. I found that if you go back to the My Executive Club link it seems to clear up the error and allow the subsequent search.

Cheers.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brp
I was getting this as well. I found that if you go back to the My Executive Club link it seems to clear up the error and allow the subsequent search.

Cheers.
Thanks for the tip. It helped me book my award flights to HI today. ^
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Looking at using avios JNB-LHR-MAN, in F, each person costs 85,000 avios for the one way. JNB-LHR in F, and LHR-MAN in CE domestic.
What I don't understand, is that if I when going throught he booking process, I choose to stopover in london, and I select the flight LHR-MAN in economy, why does the amount of avios not go down?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Because you received a 'free' domestic connection onto long-haul redemptions. However although there are no extra Avios required, nowdays you pay taxes & fees on this connection thus is isn't as good value as it used to be.

Note for short-haul journeys on Reward Flight Saver you no longer receive free domestic connections therefore your will be looking at a minimum of 9,000 + Ł35 e/w in economy for those.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Looking at using avios JNB-LHR-MAN, in F, each person costs 85,000 avios for the one way. JNB-LHR in F, and LHR-MAN in CE domestic.
What I don't understand, is that if I when going throught he booking process, I choose to stopover in london, and I select the flight LHR-MAN in economy, why does the amount of avios not go down?
This may explain http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28035850-post669.html

You are not paying any more avios either way so just select CE.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC
Is there any reason that the LHR-KLX route doesn't seem to ever have any reward availability? Is it just bad luck or is there something behind the scenes that means it is a route that doesn't have the usual mandatory reward seats?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:58 am

Hi. I have the outbound of a 2 for 1 booked to Tokyo in 1st. I need to try and add a return when one become available. The 2 for 1 is in my husbands name and I am away when they will become available.

What time does he need to log on to search?
We are in the Uk. What number does he need to call (I assume in the middle of the night) to try and add the return.

We are flexible over about 5 days to return. Should he just go for the 1st date if it is available or risk sitting it out. If he books the 1st date but one a few days later comes up then is it possible to change just the return?

We cant risk losing the outbound as we are flying in for a cruise.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.