Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Apologies for the slight hijack, but I got no response over on the VS board. There are some comments upthread about BA having T5 issues rather than [or in addition to?] general LHR chaos. Would anyone with an ExpertFlyer account be able to look up the reason for the cancellation of the VS9/VS10 pair - my girlfriend was meant to be on VS10, for which I'm guessing a comp claim would just get bounced due to the weather but it's worth asking...

Many thanks,
e
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Keep on checking, I found availability this morning for the BA1335 at 17:30. There was that 767 service earlier this morning that opened up for business overnight, however it has now departed/ing.

EDIT: just seen your later post, so you seem to be sorted.
yup sitting on ground at NCL on Ba582 delayed. Can’t send ready message as bags not loaded, lost our landing clearance, apparently another hour before we push.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by etiene
Would anyone with an ExpertFlyer account be able to look up the reason for the cancellation of the VS9/VS10 pair ...
Unfortunately, VS doesn't file further details which EF can access. Where a BA flight's details are given in the further comments section, a VS flight only gives "ENTRY NOT VALID THIS HOST". I suspect that this may be a consequence of the GDS or IT setup that VS uses.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
What are you trying to do, ideally? For EC261 purposes the options are rebook or refund.
I am trying to see what options I have to rebook the full itinerary to another day; otherwise I'll ask for it to be refunded. But the outward flight (which was cancelled) cannot be selected for rebook. Only the return (today, also cancelled) can be. Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Unfortunately, VS doesn't file further details which EF can access. Where a BA flight's details are given in the further comments section, a VS flight only gives "ENTRY NOT VALID THIS HOST". I suspect that this may be a consequence of the GDS or IT setup that VS uses.
And even if they did there'd be "Weather" as justification. BA doesn't go into much detail. Even today's flights are cancelled due to "weather" despite that not strictly being the case.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Fair enough - thanks for that. I figured it was likely to be a weather brush-off whatever happened.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:43 am

If the cancellation was due to weather (ie very recent) then no delay compensation. And if you travel in your booked class then no downgrade reimbursement either. For the right of care, I think there is a good reading for supporting a claim for that, please keep us posted.
How about if the cancellation was for technical reasons, but I was offered a flight on the same day but rejected it because no availability in the same cabin? Would I still get cancellation/delay compensation or would they say that they made a reasonable offer to re-accommodate, which I rejected?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I know this isn't strictly BA related, but the quality of answers here are invaluable..

Just landed this morning from HKG on CX. My onward flight on BA from LHR-GOT was cancelled... so I gave up, got my luggage and went home as I was due to fly back to London tomorrow morning on another airline to end my ex-EU.

As it was all ticketed via CX, I rang them and asked them to refund whatever can be salvaged for the BA LHR-GOT portion of the ticket, and they are refusing to refund anything - not even taxes. They're only offering me rebooking, which doesn't really work.

I shall try again in a bit, but to be sure.. tHow would I calculate what is owed? FWIW my fare calculation is below.

Edit: As far as I can see, I would be due BA YQ of £21.50 (only one leg flown, so half of £43), and about £20 in passenger service charges, plus whatever CX works out to be the fare for the BA part of the leg.

Last edited by Schwann; Dec 11, 2017 at 7:34 am
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jonas123
How about if the cancellation was for technical reasons, but I was offered a flight on the same day but rejected it because no availability in the same cabin? Would I still get cancellation/delay compensation or would they say that they made a reasonable offer to re-accommodate, which I rejected?
If the cancellation was for technical reasons then the delay compensation would be potentially payable, but only if the WT aircraft would have been late too. If it wouild have got you on time/within the permitted margin, and you accepted it, you would have claimed the downgrade reimbursement, but I don't think you would be able to play both sides of that equation. On the other hand I would encourage you to claim anyway, just in case, but I wouldn't be optimistic.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:44 am

If the cancellation was for technical reasons then the delay compensation would be potentially payable, but only if the WT aircraft would have been late too. If it wouild have got you on time/within the permitted margin, and you accepted it, you would have claimed the downgrade reimbursement, but I don't think you would be able to play both sides of that equation. On the other hand I would encourage you to claim anyway, just in case, but I wouldn't be optimistic.
thanks - I'll give it a go, if only to get a data point
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
I am trying to see what options I have to rebook the full itinerary to another day; otherwise I'll ask for it to be refunded. But the outward flight (which was cancelled) cannot be selected for rebook. Only the return (today, also cancelled) can be. Thanks!
EC261 allows you to rebook on the next available service (available with seats in this context) or on a mutually agreed service thereafter. BA's policies usually meet that requirement quite well, in fact go slightly beyond it by allowing earlier departures, but you would need to talk to a Contact Centre or an airport ticketing agent to get that to happen, which I appreciate won't be easy at this stage.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Schwann
Just landed this morning from HKG on CX. My onward flight on BA from LHR-GOT was cancelled... so I gave up, got my luggage and went home as I was due to fly back to London tomorrow morning on another airline to end my ex-EU.

As it was all ticketed via CX, I rang them and asked them to refund whatever can be salvaged for the BA LHR-GOT portion of the ticket, and they are refusing to refund anything - not even taxes. They're only offering me rebooking, which doesn't really work.

I shall try again in a bit, but to be sure.. tHow would I calculate what is owed? FWIW my fare calculation is below.

Edit: As far as I can see, I would be due BA YQ of £21.50 (only one leg flown, so half of £43), and about £20 in passenger service charges, plus whatever CX works out to be the fare for the BA part of the leg.
FWIW, I had a look at the length of LHR-GOT as part of your SIN-HKG-LHR-GOT journey. The total length is 8,247 miles, of which LHR-GOT is 665 miles or 8%.

So if it were done on a blunt pro-rata basis of the total paid, that would be 8% of 50% of £661.51 = £26.46.

Obviously, any calculation ought to be more sophisticated than that. As an alternative, using today's figures the difference in TFC between GOT-LHR-HKG-SIN-HKG-LHR-GOT and GOT-LHR-HKG-SIN-HKG-LHR is £36.11. 8% of 50% of the fare paid is £18.04. Adding those two would get you £54.15.
Schwann likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I’ve spent my share of the last 36 hours in Heathrow and am now suffering the indignity of yet another delay as BA85 is now slated to leave a few hours late. I am a lwyer by trade and so a fan of deep noodling about causation. So I wanted to ask, at what point is a delay no longer attributable to the (small amount of) snow yesterday and instead due to BAs organizational incompetence? I’d love to claim the 300/600 for this delay and use it to cover part of the AUP to first. Any thoughts?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stephem
I’ve spent my share of the last 36 hours in Heathrow and am now suffering the indignity of yet another delay as BA85 is now slated to leave a few hours late. I am a lwyer by trade and so a fan of deep noodling about causation. So I wanted to ask, at what point is a delay no longer attributable to the (small amount of) snow yesterday and instead due to BAs organizational incompetence? I’d love to claim the 300/600 for this delay and use it to cover part of the AUP to first. Any thoughts?
You would need to prove that the delay was avoidable by BA, or rather to deny your claim BA would have to prove that extraordinary circumstances applied. I don't rate your chances highly, but if it's an arguable case and you are OK to spend half a day in court pleading your case, you may get somewhere. I don't think it's the strongest case I've seen, however.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:29 am

You would need to prove that the delay was avoidable by BA, or rather to deny your claim BA would have to prove that extraordinary circumstances applied. I don't rate your chances highly
What would be interesting would be to see the number of BA cancellations by day, vs all other airlines by day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.