Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Somehow I feel getting my compensation will be a struggle:

1. Flew YVR-LHR on May 26th

2. Arrived May 27th to find onward LHR-JNB flight cancelled. Secured hotel in London, saved receipts for HEX, Meals, Hotel

3. Rebooked and flew LHR-JNB on May 28th and then completed rest of journey.

4. Returned to US on May 30th

5. Submitted claim on June 1st with receipts for expenses and for EC261

6. Spoke to representative June 9th and agent confirmed receipt of
documents and all of the amounts I had entered. Said it would be a few more days and they are trying to complete process as quickly as possible

7. Yesterday (June 14th) I receive an email from BA Customer service with a new case number responding to an email (that I didn't send) and asking me to resubmit all of the documentation. I mean, really, why wouldn't they just cross reference the booking number / ticket number that I provided on EVERYTHING before asking me for information as if I hadn't done anything. Responded back with the two pending case numbers asking them specifically what they need for me to do. I am not going to resubmit everything and then have to wait another two weeks nor do I want to "double submit" on claims and then get it caught up and have them think I am trying to defraud them.

Still have no idea how some folks have been making a single phone call and getting their reimbursements back in 3-4 days.

Grrrrr.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA

2. Arrived May 27th to find onward LHR-JNB flight cancelled. Secured hotel in London, saved receipts for HEX, Meals, Hotel

documents and all of the amounts I had entered. Said it would be a few more days and they are trying to complete process as quickly as possible

7. Yesterday (June 14th) I receive an email from BA Customer service with a new case number responding to an email (that I didn't send) and asking me to resubmit all of the documentation. I mean, really, why wouldn't they just cross reference the booking number / ticket number that I provided on EVERYTHING before asking me for information as if I hadn't done anything. Responded back with the two pending case numbers asking them specifically what they need for me to do. I am not going to resubmit everything and then have to wait another two weeks nor do I want to "double submit" on claims and then get it caught up and have them think I am trying to defraud them.

Still have no idea how some folks have been making a single phone call and getting their reimbursements back in 3-4 days.

Grrrrr.
I submitted my claim via BA's website on June 3, and have not received any response whatsoever besides the email confirmation with a case number. I would consider your situation being much better than mine at this point.

p.s. I am only claiming EU261 compensation with no other expenses claimed.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The only thing odd in the above appears to be step 7, which doesn't fit in very well with the usual process. The exception would be if they decided to split off EC261 from the rest of the claim but even that looks odd to me. I would either call Customer Relations during UK office hours, or ping a DM via Twitter, alternatively leave it another week if you're currently pressed for time.

In a way the speed of the other refunds is curious: in usual circumstances it takes a good month or so to get EC261 (bit less for BAEC status cardholders) and they must have a mountain of claims at the moment.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The delayed luggage is a UA issue. UA was the carrier and failed to retrieve and load the luggage at LHR. BA has nothing to do with this. Ask for reimbursement from your travel insurance or UA.
It will be an interesting one if push comes to shove. Whether handing over a BA baggage tag from a cancelled flight and expecting UA to retrieve it constitutes checking in baggage with UA may be a moot point.

In probability I doubt that UA ever had a realistic chance of getting the baggage to the traveller on time, and I would thing it even more unlikely they will pay out (at least without a fight).
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:34 am

My gripe is around the Amex 241 on a return cancelled leg. My current drafted email (not sent quite yet) is as follows:

I am still waiting for the Service Fees which I paid for this booking to be refunded to the credit card I made the booking with – please can you look into this and advise. Additionally, I have not received the EU261 Compensation and Disruption Expenses, though I note from your email of 13 June that these may take up to 5 working days to be processed.

With respect to the non-reinstatement of the American Express Companion Voucher (Amex 241) as it is part-flown, if you are not prepared to resolve this per my suggestion below, I would like you to issue a final response letter so that I can raise this complaint with CEDR (or any other appropriate body).

To confirm my situation, the return leg of my holiday: KLX-LHR was cancelled. For this flight I paid: 20k Avios + Amex 241 + 2k Avios + 2k Avios + Ł50 RFS fees. To date 24k Avios have been recredited to my account and nothing else. On 5 June 2017, I received an email from BA stating Amex 241 would be returned to my account. Your email on 14 June now states that it cannot be reinstated.

At the very least, if you cannot reinstate the Amex 241, you should recredit the equivalent number of Avios that effectively have been “saved” by using the Amex 241 being 20k Avios in my case. If you are not prepared to do this then I will be pursuing the equivalent cash equivalent of these Avios. Your current selling rate of 20k Avios is Łxxx. In all respects I believe that this is fair.

To say that the cost of the Companion travel is nil is not at all correct. The Amex 241 is not a free voucher. In order to obtain this voucher I had to pay an annual fee to American Express as well as incur significant expenditure on that credit card, which comes at a significant opportunity cost.

However for some reason I am unable to confirm the cash rate of purchasing 20k Avios. When I go to this page: http://ba.com/purchaseavios and click on treat yourself it goes back to the BAEC homepage embedded in another. Can someone let me know the cash rate of 20k Avios.

With respect to the draft email, is there anything else you think I should add? I don't think BA are going to move for me that cost of the Companion travel was nil so I think I will need to escalate this to try and get a resolution.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mergetrip
However for some reason I am unable to confirm the cash rate of purchasing 20k Avios. When I go to this page: http://ba.com/purchaseavios and click on treat yourself it goes back to the BAEC homepage embedded in another. Can someone let me know the cash rate of 20k Avios.

With respect to the draft email, is there anything else you think I should add? I don't think BA are going to move for me that cost of the Companion travel was nil so I think I will need to escalate this to try and get a resolution.
I am currently quoted Ł335 for 20k Avios. I've taken a screen print if you need it.

I think the email is reasonable. I would add a 16 day deadline in there, "after which time I will consider my options without further notice". Personally I would go MCOL rather CEDR on this, their track record in 2-4-1 isn't good.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:48 am

Thanks CWS. I'll PM you my email address as the screenprint would be useful. Also appreciate the advice re MCOL rather than CEDR on this one.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Has anyone who made a simple claim (as in Flight cancelled on 27th May, looking for compensation) not had their claim processed?

I can't find where I asked advice previously but my claim was processed within a few days. Made 29th May, settled 3rd June but my partner's with exactly the same flights and claim date has only had the case allocated a number. (In fact we both had 2 case numbers allocated with my first one being processed)

Clicking on the link in the email, for an update, didn't copy the claim number across but all was filled in as required. I thought that an automatic acknowledgement for this would be received, but not.

Was I simply very lucky to have mine processed so quickly?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K

Grrrrr.
Spoke with Customer Service Rep this morning, she stated that the it was odd that there was a third case opened. After a little digging, it seems to be related to a customer service complaint i submitted regarding the YVR Galleries Lounge and not being granted access on my trip. They most likely saw that my record involved the IT Outage and just issued the form email. The agent I spoke with could see that they had merged both existing case numbers into the new case number and that all of my receipts were in the file and all of the required information was filled out. She had no idea why the new case number was created or why they didn't bother to check the other two files for the supporting documents. Anyway, she was sending an email to the other agent to have him pull over the pertinent data (she gave the name of the person who was listed in the email I received). She said it would take 3-4 days and I should hear something by middle of next week. I asked if the clock for getting my reimbursement would start over again since this new case number seems to be dated June 14th and she said no.

I understand that they have an ungodly amount of claims to process - just want to put this episode behind me.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Cost to ba

Earlier I had asked if anyone knew or can guess the cost to BA of the IT glitch last May.

I found the answer today in a news report. Mr Walsh told the media that it will cost BA about $ 102 million USD. (75000 pax affected). A stiff cost for unplugging and plugging backa cable in the power outlet. Wonder what the damage is in PR & goodwill.
The Chairman assured that we will learn from this and apply it to our future processes (paraphrased). Now only if they would do that to plaints heard here on FT BA can return to its leader position.
I do have a 1.2 million USD suggestion : When I take US appliances that use 110 volts only to countries that use 220 volts, I have a large warning tag at the plug " WARNING, USE TRANSFORMER".
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The case referred to by UKtravelbear is Peskova and Peska v Travel Service (C-315/15), it was a bird strike case.
I seem to recall a ruling in May where European court ruled that Bird Strike was an Extraordinary Circumstance, same case I think?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pmcg
I seem to recall a ruling in May where European court ruled that Bird Strike was an Extraordinary Circumstance, same case I think?
Yes, it is the same case. It said bird strike was potentially extraordinary, but the way the airline recovers from a bird strike may well not be extraordinary.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, we have to use the start to end kilometres, and so it's 400€. I make it a similar distance (2922 km). This is assuming it was 1 reservation. If it was 2 reservations it would be more.
So, BA wrote me back today about the EU compensation and they say 250 Euro is due, not 400 Euro. Should I push for the 400 Euro?

My ticket was on 27 May, one reservation, one ticket, CAI-LHR-FRA, and CAI-LHR was ok, a few hours on the ground on arriving in LHR before de-planing. LHR-FRA was 2 days delayed (I flew 29 May). It should be 400 Euro, correct?

Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAworldwide
My ticket was on 27 May, one reservation, one ticket, CAI-LHR-FRA, and CAI-LHR was ok, a few hours on the ground on arriving in LHR before de-planing. LHR-FRA was 2 days delayed (I flew 29 May). It should be 400 Euro, correct?
Depends, BA may be correct here. If you look upthread, you will notice that BA (and most airlines) treat long -> short flights as if it was the short flight was cancelled, if the problem was solely on the short leg. As also indicated upthread, this is open to legal debate, nevertheless this is what BA does in reality. So on the face of it, they have paid the right amount here (given their normal approach) if the long flight was more-or-less ok. However, if the delay offloading in LHR meant that you would anyway have missed your connection and been more than 3 hours late thereby, then it's the 400€ limit that should apply. If there was a long connection time anyway then you are on the lower amount. If this is looking a bit murky, feel free to put your scheduled and actual timings down, there are quite a lot of variables here.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I was on a flight that was cancelled, and the subsequent flight (which was more than 3 hours later) was itself delayed by 3 hours. It was under 1,500km.

I may well not claim for double reimbursement, but it would be useful to know whether the cancellation and subsequent delay would be treated as one incident for EU compensation, or two. I couldn't see this scenario in the wiki - any expert comments?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.