Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 2:28 am

Parents flew BA econ LHR-SIN in Jan. Flight arrived just over 3 hrs late due to technical reason with plane on preceding route. No brainer EU 261 claim. BA accepted arrival was >3 hrs, but EU claim rejected because "it took less than 3 hrs to make repair". Back and forth numerous emails - rejecting claim. Last email to BA was "is this your final response prior to taking matter to CAA albitration". BA have just offered the full EU compensation. When dealing with BA they adopt a war of attrition even on no brainer claims. Don't give up.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Bozza
Parents flew BA econ LHR-SIN in Jan. Flight arrived just over 3 hrs late due to technical reason with plane on preceding route. No brainer EU 261 claim. BA accepted arrival was >3 hrs, but EU claim rejected because "it took less than 3 hrs to make repair". Back and forth numerous emails - rejecting claim. Last email to BA was "is this your final response prior to taking matter to CAA albitration". BA have just offered the full EU compensation. When dealing with BA they adopt a war of attrition even on no brainer claims. Don't give up.
This is the guy in charge of the BA EC261 claims department :-

Old May 6, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Bozza
Look at posts here and in related thread ... do not use CAA in such circumstance. MCOL and CDER appear to make BA realise you are serious.

See posts 1 and following for more ... (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html)
Old May 6, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by hb133
I'm posting here as the flights were booked on BA tickets / numbers but outbound operated by QR. Booked from LHR - CMB recently. The flight from LHR arrived in time for the connection in Doha, however the DOH-CMB flight was delayed by over 3 hours, resulting in an arrival delay of 3 hours 30 minutes.

As it was booked as a straight (125 stock) ticket from LHR to CMB, I'm pursuing QR for €300 per passenger (based on a 3+ hour delay on a distance of more than 3,500km). We confirmed with Qatar staff that it was delayed due to a technical issue and therefore not extraordinary circumstances (every other flight departed on time...)

Now, if my connection had been missed (e.g. due to a late arrival on the LHR-DOH flight), I know this would be a clear case for compensation from looking at CAA / EU261 documents. However, I can't find anything anywhere regarding a delay on the second flight on a single ticket.

Any suggestions?
Some much needed clarity should be forthcoming in a few months time.

See the following article...

http://www.4kbw.net/news/15082016185...d-connections/
Old May 6, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Cancellations have (potentially) a shorter timeframe. For delays it is 3 hours.
Had I arrived at my final destination more than 3 hours late then my claim for compensation would be unambiguous. But I was two and a half hours late. This would allow me to claim in the case of a cancellation but not in the case of a delay. Strange rules but there you have it.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
... You are free to consider MCOL if you are UK based, to see what happens.
The trouble is that the Regulation does countenance a series of flights and so defines 'final destination' but they don't say what 'cancellation' means in this context. My only hope of success in any simple sort of legal action would be if I could convince the court that I was correct (and even some respondents here are not convinced) and then that the airline did not appeal.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Alan_B
Had I arrived at my final destination more than 3 hours late then my claim for compensation would be unambiguous. But I was two and a half hours late. This would allow me to claim in the case of a cancellation but not in the case of a delay. Strange rules but there you have it.
It's because the original regulation had no provision for compensation for delay - only duty of care during a delay - whereas it did for cancellation.

It was a court decision that started compensation for delay and the court took the time limits in the existing delay / duty of care article rather than from the cancellation article.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
ECJ rules bird strikes are extraordinary circumstances

The ECJ has ruled that bird strikes constitute extraordinary circumstances and that therefore no compensation is payable as a result of any subsequent delay. The full ruling is in the link below - scroll to the bottom for the key points.

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/documen...rt=1&cid=80371
Old May 7, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by masped
The ECJ has ruled that bird strikes constitute extraordinary circumstances and that therefore no compensation is payable as a result of any subsequent delay. The full ruling is in the link below - scroll to the bottom for the key points.

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/documen...rt=1&cid=80371
The last sentence does however distinguish between the extraordinary circumstance iteself and how the airline deals with it

Article 5(3) of Regulation No 261/2004, read in the light of recital 14 thereof, must be interpreted as meaning that, in the event of a delay to a flight equal to or in excess of three hours in arrival caused not only by extraordinary circumstances, which could not have been avoided by measures appropriate to the situation and which were subject to all reasonable measures by the air carrier to avoid the consequences thereof, but also in other circumstances not in that category, the delay caused by the first event must be deducted from the total length of the delay in arrival of the flight concerned in order to assess whether compensation for the delay in arrival of that flight must be paid as provided for in Article 7 of that regulation.
(my underlining)

A bird strike in itself is therefore not carte blance for the airline to deny compensation if the airlines actions in dealing with it extend the delay so that excluding the time taken to resolve the bird strike the delay otherwise qualifies for compensation.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:01 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The last sentence does however distinguish between the extraordinary circumstance iteself and how the airline deals with it

(my underlining)

A bird strike in itself is therefore not carte blance for the airline to deny compensation if the airlines actions in dealing with it extend the delay so that excluding the time taken to resolve the bird strike the delay otherwise qualifies for compensation.
Indeed. So even if there is a bird strike (or another event constituting extraordinary circumstances), the Court re-affirmed its previous case-law and emphasised that it is still necessary to determine the delay caused by the extraordinary circumstances could jot have been avoided by all reasonable measures. And even if that is satisfied, it is necessary to distinguish between the length of the delay caused by extraordinary circumstances (which could not have been avoided by all reasonable measures) and the length of the delay caused by other circumstances. For the purpose of calculating the length of the qualifying delay, the delay falling into the former category would be deducted from the total delay.

Last edited by paul00; May 8, 2017 at 7:11 am Reason: typo
Old May 8, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I just got back from my trip but I got caught up with a mess with BA459 on 29APR where there was a problem with the tire and it made Mrs. LC and I miss our connection to LAX. We ended up flying via MEX and getting there the next morning but was just wondering if anyone else was on that flight and was able to claim?
Old May 9, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BA AA
Eu261 & ba66 17/4 phl-lhr

BA66 was delayed over 24 hours on April 17 due to what the pilot announced was an electrical surge that fried a piece of navigation equipment. Requested EU261 compensation and have been advised that our claim was denied due to 'aircraft damage which wasn't caused by us'. Also advised no reimbursement for pre booked hotel expenses. Not even any Avios as goodwill gesture. Are they correct?
Old May 9, 2017, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Absolutely not correct - have a look at the main thread and hopefully you will see some previous examples / evidence of similar situations

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...61-2004-a.html

Don't give up on this one !
Old May 9, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by WESTDETAIL
BA66 was delayed over 24 hours on April 17 due to what the pilot announced was an electrical surge that fried a piece of navigation equipment. Requested EU261 compensation and have been advised that our claim was denied due to 'aircraft damage which wasn't caused by us'. Also advised no reimbursement for pre booked hotel expenses. Not even any Avios as goodwill gesture. Are they correct?
So you are entitled to

1. 600 EUR
2. They cannot reimburse your pre booked expenses.
3. Don't bother with avios

So chase them until they give you 600 EUR! This is very common with BA from what I see on the forum, they almost always reject the first time you ask for EU 261, only to back down and then give it when it is obvious they are wrong.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by WESTDETAIL
This is ludicrous. They owe you €600. Full stop. Issue a Notice of Intended Litigation and file with MCOL if they don't stump up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.