Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
It's 600 Euro as the whole itinerary counts. You need to claim from the company that caused the initial delay - this being the LHR-MAD.

Hi... thanks for your answer. Im just confused as from reading different threads and websites it seems I can only calculate distance from the first delayed flight which would be the LHR-MAD and allow me only 250 Euros. Obviously your number is much more attractive but where is your info from? Personal experience? I just want to make sure I get things right before I send off my letter. I assume you are calculating 600 Euros from YVR-EAS?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:43 pm

Hello,

I believe you should try to go for the 600 € and, if necessary, refer to the Folkerts case (C-11/11) as authority for the proposition that, as regards connecting flights which are part of a single reservation, once that there is an eligible incident in a flight covered by the Regulation (no problem in your case), the amount of the compensation must be calculated from the first departure point up to the last arrival point.

In scenarios such as yours companies try to mix up the notion of entitlement with the amount of compensation.

It is true that Folkerts referred to a flight from the EU to a non-EU country, but -on the basis of equality of treatment- I see no reason not to treat the opposite scenario in a similar way. The inconvenience for the passenger is the same, and it depends on the whole duration of the journey.

You can even rely on the recent interpretative guidelines of the European Commission:
Point 4.4.7 - As regards entitlement "In the case of passengers departing from an airport in an non-EU country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member State as their final destination in accordance with Article 3(1)(b), with directly connecting flights operated successively by non-EU and EU carriers or by EU carriers only, the right to compensation in case of a long delay on arrival at the final destination should be assessed only in relation to the flights operated by EU carriers." In your case, all the flights were operated by EU carriers.
Good luck.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Would BA not argue they caused a 40 minute delay but cannot be resonsible for the subsequent ATC delay in getting the flight away?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
A quick data point on the new 'enhanced' Avios alternatives from yesterday.

€250 or 25,000 Avios as BA Gold
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Tricialac
YVR to LHR was fine but once on my LHR-MAD flight we were delayed 40 minutes for departure because a crew member was late delivering the passenger log manifest resulting in missing runway time and having to wait again for new runway appointment.
Originally Posted by Swampz64
Would BA not argue they caused a 40 minute delay but cannot be resonsible for the subsequent ATC delay in getting the flight away?
I do not think that losing your assigned take off slot and then waiting for a new availability can be blamed on ATC. That's simply poor management, not ATC caused delay...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I would like to inform you that I have escalated a claim against BA to a claim agency.

Arrival delay was 3 hours and 30 minutes. Ticket was PHL-LHR-MUC.
Cause: LHR-MUC plane went tech.
BA paid me EUR 250.
I demanded EUR 600.
BA refused again and again stating that only the shorthaul flight was delayed. My argument that I have purchased a ticket PHL-MUC was ignored.
The collection agency just wrote me that they've sued BA in German court for paying the rest (EUR 350).
Another (lower) court in Germany ruled against Lufthansa that the whole distance of the journey counts.
Let's see what happens next.

The airline of Alex Cruz deserves this.

If I won this case and got the money into my account, I'd escalate that matter further to the Civil Aviation Authority of the UK. In my eyes, the AOC of an airline should be revoked if it becomes clear that the only way to the rightful compensation is a court fight. You may laugh at me, calling me naive. But I will try it nonetheless. I have enough of these games by airlines. Honestly, I will lobby hard with my MEP that BA should loose all flying rights into the EU after March 2019.

Last edited by warakorn; Apr 24, 2017 at 3:57 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You are kidding right?

Loose all EU flying rights? I bet then the repricocal will happen to EU carriers flying to UK.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I bet then the repricocal will happen to EU carriers flying to UK.
If I needed a visa to just visit the UK, I have no motivation to fly to there anymore. Loosing traffic rights to the UK -there are worse things that could happen to Air France, Lufthansa and Eurowings.
It could be a zero sum game, because BA cannot sipphon pax from EU airport anymore (flying to the US, for instance).

My company does business with UK suppliers. However, we can easily switch away from them.
When MP are saying that we would be put into the same queue like citizens from India, Indonesia and China -> then this indicates to me that Dutch, Finnish, German, French ... nationals need visa to enter the UK. That would be a strong incentive for many business people in the EU to not extend contracts to UK companies anymore.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk Markmac43, welcome to the BA board, though it sounds like you had a very stressful end to the Easter holiday. I hope you will continue to participate here, we always like to see new people join up with us here.

It looks like a fairly solid case for IDB, so I wouldn't expect much push back for this. You may also have a claim for the poor check-in experience and seating, but I doubt you would get much for that, maybe some Avios. The flight delay was within the 50% cut-off, by arriving under 4 hours late, so I think you are able to claim 300€ per passenger. I would claim the EC261 amounts as per the top of this thread, and then put in a separate complaint (or ring up) and say that your check-in and seating means that you are seeking specific remediation for this too. I'd be reasonably confident of the 300€ payment, and if you don't believe the customer service remediation is adequate there are ways of escalating that too.

corporate-wage-slave - Thanks for clarifying , will submit the claim(s) accordingly and see where we get. ^
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Virgin Flying Club Red; IHG Spire
BA through ticket (on QR) 3+hour delay

I'm posting here as the flights were booked on BA tickets / numbers but outbound operated by QR. Booked from LHR - CMB recently. The flight from LHR arrived in time for the connection in Doha, however the DOH-CMB flight was delayed by over 3 hours, resulting in an arrival delay of 3 hours 30 minutes.

As it was booked as a straight (125 stock) ticket from LHR to CMB, I'm pursuing QR for €300 per passenger (based on a 3+ hour delay on a distance of more than 3,500km). We confirmed with Qatar staff that it was delayed due to a technical issue and therefore not extraordinary circumstances (every other flight departed on time...)

Now, if my connection had been missed (e.g. due to a late arrival on the LHR-DOH flight), I know this would be a clear case for compensation from looking at CAA / EU261 documents. However, I can't find anything anywhere regarding a delay on the second flight on a single ticket.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by hb133; Apr 25, 2017 at 7:49 am Reason: Additional information
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hb133
Now, if my connection had been missed (e.g. due to a late arrival on the LHR-DOH flight), I know this would be a clear case for compensation from looking at CAA / EU261 documents. However, I can't find anything anywhere regarding a delay on the second flight on a single ticket.

Any suggestions?
You will be unlikely to recover the money here, unless you take legal action or QR decides to be nice to you. Also I don't see the reason for the delay, which may also be relevant here. Essentially the CAA and others believe you should be covered, but Qatar, AA and a number of airlines do not agree, and won't normally pay out on second leg cases outwith Europe. The CAA is trying to take action against them on a "licence to operate" basis but this is a slow process. It's further complicated in that the EC261 ruling isn't totally clear on this in terms of wording for non Community carriers. Having said that, any case that got to appellate level I am nearly certain the court would say that if it was on one booking, the animus of the Regulation should apply throughout. AA at least tend to give a customer service gesture, Qatar isn't renown for being able to do this.

So by all means ask, but if you get a decline, your only option is MCOL, and even that isn't a definite path.

The 125 ticket isn't relevant here, it's only relevant if there is a cancellation or downgrade. So this is essentially a Qatar issue. When buying tickets for travel on non Community airlines, this factor is worth bearing in mind.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Virgin Flying Club Red; IHG Spire
Thanks CWS - I edited to say it was for 'technical reasons'.

MCOL isn't that much hassle here and probably worth a shot but do I do that first or escalate to CAA prior to MCOL? For €600, it goes some way to compensating for a lost first afternoon on holiday...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hb133
Thanks CWS - I edited to say it was for 'technical reasons'.

MCOL isn't that much hassle here and probably worth a shot but do I do that first or escalate to CAA prior to MCOL? For €600, it goes some way to compensating for a lost first afternoon on holiday...
Personally I doubt the CAA can do much to help. They will process your complaint to Qatar, but you first need to exhaust all remedies inside Qatar, then go to the CAA. MCOL would therefore be faster, but just to reiterate that it may not work in your favour here, there isn't a definitive entitlement here.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
... It's further complicated in that the EC261 ruling isn't totally clear on this in terms of wording for non Community carriers. ...
No it is not clear, being that there is a conflict between a binding High Court authority and a later, contradictory view from the CJEU in these types of cases (connection delays between EU and non EU carriers at a non EU port).

The CJEU held in Air France SA v 'Folkerts' that for the purposes of calculating compensation arrival at the claimant’s final destination should be used as the criteria. This was on the basis of the inconvenience of the delay was destination based, rather than at connecting port(s).

A little under two years beforehand in 'Sanghvi', the High Court, following 'Schenkel', determined that Regulation 261 was only concerned with individual flight components of any journey, and that the claimant’s second flight was outside the scope of Article 3.

There was another case 'Gahan', where the judge (using 'Folkerts') distinguished that both flights were of a Community Carrier and fell within the scope of Regulation 261.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
British Airways has failed to respond to my letter before action in respect of a cancelled flight on 23 March, and thus I am about to initiate a claim using MCOL.

I have a couple of questions about this process:

1. What address do I use for British Airways on the online claim form? (Is it just the PO Box 1126 address?)
2. How is British Airways made aware of the claim that I have made against them?

I've read (and re-read) this thread and its predecessors but couldn't find that information. Apologies if I've missed it - and feel free to point me in the direction of the thread where I can find it.

Is MCOL still the better course of action? Are there any benefits to using CEDR instead?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.