Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rstruthe
In the end CEDR found in my favour that compensation was due for the entire yyz to ams as that was my ticket (600€). They denied the 75% downgrade compensation as they claimed I could have waiting until the next day for club europe.
Originally Posted by caz312
that is a good one to know....many people on here have been told that if the first flight was on time, compensation based on the second leg only (which is generally a €250 rate)
Indeed that immediately raise my eyebrows. The "we only pay short haul" on long to short flight connections is almost certainly not the intent of the legislation, but the wording is sufficiently vague (the Regulation uses the word "flight" in the relevant clause) that most airlines indeed would pay the 250€ amount rather than 600€. This will be worth watching!

On the other hand, the downgrade amount doesn't strike me as logical unless you had been rebooked into CE the next day (and given a hotel), had kicked up a fuss and then been offered ET as an alternative. The 75%, which would be relative to the shorhaul sector, falls in line with the distance being deemed to be from Canada: I would have thought it would be the 30% amount, and BA's internal refund on that would be around Ł150 or so (so typically higher than 30%).

So a somewhat muddled outcome from CEDR in my view. There again one of the other Guardian threads today had a link to a barrister of great repute, who (a) misclaimed under EC261 such that CEDR gave him less than expected and (b) described the Regulations (in his case) as being complicated!

By thanks rstruthe for reporting back here.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:40 am

that is a good one to know....many people on here have been told that if the first flight was on time, compensation based on the second leg only (which is generally a €250 rate)
Here are the relevant details from my arbitration to quote in this situation, hope this helps people here claiming in this situation.

In determining the distance, the basis shall be the last destination at which the denial of boarding
or cancellation will delay the passenger’s arrival after the scheduled time.

The decision of the ECJ in Case C-11/11 Air France v Folkerts (2013). Namely, that where a passenger takes connecting flights on a through ticket (i.e. one check-in through to the final destination), their Article 7 right to compensation if any flights are cancelled or if they arrive more than 3 hours late at their final destination, is to be calculated from the point of origin to the final destination.

On this basis, for the purposes of compensation, the distance traveled is to be calculated from the Passenger’s point of origin. The Passenger is entitled to compensation in the sum of EUR 600 per passenger pursuant to Article 7(1)(c).
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by dares
Many thanks @RandomStan @simons1 @Steve_ZA @stargold and @Dave Noble for your input and advice :

The flight code was BA0528

I will follow up with Iberia (Express) and report back.

I also had a deep look into the EC261 text and it looks that the operating carrier is to blame: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...4R0261&from=EN

Thanks
Hi all,

I finally got an answer to my claim to Iberia Express. Interesting enough the answer, email layout, logos and no-reply email address used are from Iberia and not Iberia Express itself.

There is no reference to my detailed claim (which it has been clearly ruled out) but some unnecessary mention to their plane and crew location (which by the way prior to my flight cancellation landed on LHR as we previously confirmed in this post).

Full answer:
I am writing in relation to your flight of 27th, May 2017 and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for contacting us.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by the cancellation of your flight. We are aware of how important it is to our passengers that trips observe the scheduled time, which is why we make every effort to prevent this from occurring.

Airlines are affected by numerous factors, such as weather conditions, air control permissions, etc., and this means that our planes and crews are sometimes held up or find themselves at a different airport from where they should be. Relocating them is complicated, and occasionally this leads to delays or cancellations.

I apologise if the information or the assistance we provided were not enough. We appreciate that your journey was more tiring, and although it was due to circumstances beyond our control, we did everything in our power to minimise the inconvenience and, based on the options available, provide the fastest mode of transport to ensure that you reached your destination. Every day we analyse the incidents that occur and make plans to improve our handling of these situations.

Thank you again for contacting us. Your assistance allows us to improve our service. We hope we continue to enjoy your trust.

Sincerely,

Iberia. Customer Service Center
Since there is no alternative left to reply this email (no link or email to reply this), I can go back to square one (not very encouraging),try my luck on the phone line (even less encouraging) or look for alternative approaches.

Any suggestion on the later?

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:52 pm

Did you specifically mention in your contact that you were claiming EU261 compensation?
Sounds like they have either not read the contact properly and assume it was a complaint rather than a claim....they don't specifically say they are not paying you EU261 compensation (or that they are)
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:12 pm

Did you specifically mention in your contact that you were claiming EU261 compensation?
Sounds like they have either not read the contact properly and assume it was a complaint rather than a claim....they don't specifically say they are not paying you EU261 compensation (or that they are)
Thank you @caz312

You´re correct, they don´t mention that but the way they write the email looks to me that they´re denying any responsability and closing the case.

I was clear in my original request. Extract as it follows:
I hereby claim compensation according to Art. 7 of Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004.

I claim compensation relating to flight IBS528 which I booked from London Heathrow (LHR) to Asturias (OVD) on Sat 27 May 2017.

The flight was cancelled and was reallocated to the same flight two days later.

The problem was not based on exceptional circumstances or act of god.

Due to the delay of 48 hours and the flight distance between the airports I have the right to be compensated by €250.

As the Art. 5-c of Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004 states, the operating carrier is responsible for the aforementioned compensation, therefore Iberia Express.
Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well with Iberia this is standard form I'm afraid. It's very difficult to get them to pay up in comparison with BA (or even Vueling!).

You should now write to them specifically asking for the exact amount of compensation that is due to you under and giving them 16 days to pay up. You should also have to expect to either move MCOL on them (see initial posts in this thread), alternatively use Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if you paid with a UK issued credit card and the fare was for more than Ł100. The CEDR options mentioned in this thread don't apply, however you can complain to the CAA, since they will ping Iberia with a charge for processing your complaint. You can try the CAA in conjunction with MCOL or Section 75 if you like.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well with Iberia this is standard form I'm afraid. It's very difficult to get them to pay up in comparison with BA (or even Vueling!).

You should now write to them specifically asking for the exact amount of compensation that is due to you under and giving them 16 days to pay up. You should also have to expect to either move MCOL on them (see initial posts in this thread), alternatively use Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if you paid with a UK issued credit card and the fare was for more than Ł100. The CEDR options mentioned in this thread don't apply, however you can complain to the CAA, since they will ping Iberia with a charge for processing your complaint. You can try the CAA in conjunction with MCOL or Section 75 if you like.
Thanks @corporate-wage-slave for your input.

My claim actually covered the exact compensation and deadline bits, thus it looks I have to go to the next step.

I had a look into the first posts (great info in there, thanks) and see two obstacles in here: Iberia Express is not based in the UK and my fare was below Ł100, I guess CAA should be my next point of contact.

Cheers
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You should now write to them specifically asking for the exact amount of compensation that is due to you under and giving them 16 days to pay up.
Where should this be posted to?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by linz36
Where should this be posted to?
Iberia Lineas Aereas De Espana Sociedad Anonima Operadora, Waterside Orient 2a, West Drayton, Harmondsworth, UB7 0GB
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Blue
Had to spend an extra night in New York and have submitted a claim.
My wife is a wheelchair user so requires an ADA room. The room we were in was available for the Saturday evening. I rang a few hotels but they didn't have a suitable room. There was one near JFK at $365 but until c-w-s came to our rescue with advice to ring the BA Holidays helpline we had no idea even which day we might get home.

So we had to make a decision and frankly it was a no brainer to stay put.
This was Memorial weekend and the room was $445. They have offered $200 which is derisory given the circumstances.

I mentioned that the two meals we claimed for ($53) were easily the cheapest of our stay. We could also have used a taxi to JFK instead of the Subway.

I have pointed this out to them again and await their response. I am happy to compromise to an extent but what are my options?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrismk
I have pointed this out to them again and await their response. I am happy to compromise to an extent but what are my options?
Unless BA had been willing to find you an alternative option at the time, I don't see the need to compromise. The guidelines they put in place are purely of BA's making, and while I can see this actually is very sensible (given the number of "what is reasonable" questions we see here and most people are perhaps able to adapt to the circumstances better), it actually has nothing to do with your entitlements under the Regulation. There are no specific limits in the Regulation, moreover BA failed in their Right of Care responsibilities. On top of that, there is a very specific clause in the Regulation that underlines the importance of Right of Care to those with disabilities, which admittedly is non specific, but if it had to be specifically applied then it would be on something like this. Ditto food and transport, incidentally.

If this got to court, I'm 100% sure this would not get past initial pleadings. Which, of course, is why it won't get to court.

I've asked the Mods to move these posts, as mentioned in the wiki there is a better place for this.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Blue
Thanks c-w-s!

Apologies for posting in wrong thread - brain fade moment
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
I had a 4 hour delays from AMS to LHR on June 22, like many of us on that day due to weather. However there was also a technical issue involved at one point:
Boarding was on time. Then the weather delay was announced and updates came, each with later departure times. Finally we could push back, only to stop not far from the gate due to 'technical issues'.
We taxied back to the (same) gate, ground staff boarded the flight after a while to solve the problem, when all was fixed they left and -again- we waited because of limited traffic due to weather. And some refuelling was needed.
I was upgraded (for operational reasons?) during boarding
We (CE pax) were given a meal while on the ground, I don't remember if this was during the repairs or during the wait after that).
Also, I was travelling on Avios.

For me the 4 hour delay didn't cause any extra expenses and 'only' an entire afternoon was lost (was a leisure trip) hence I find it a bit difficult to ask for compansation, but I somehow feel I should.
Given the fact that I travelled on Avios and that a big part of the delayed time was due to weather, should I be asking for compensation at all? And if so, within how many days should I do so?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:45 am

you would have a total delay of weather+technical+ATC...was the technical part of the delay over 3 hours?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Yes, unless the technical delay - on its own - was over 3 hours long, I can't see this going anywhere. Being upgrade or a redemption ticket makes no difference, they are still entitled to compensation, but only for the non extraordinary bit. The time limit for claiming depends on where you live, see the initial posts, but you have years to claim, not days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.