Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I somehow think that a court would not allow the airline to get away with it, given that the wording in the legislation states

If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3) reimburse

If the person has a 1st class ticket and BA cancels the flight and rebooks, it will still be placing the passenger in a class lower than for which the ticket was purchased
Had a think about this last night. Both the outward and return flight were booked on 4-class which has now changed to 3-class.

Outward - booked in J. MMB simply changed seat number.
Return - booked in F. For a few days, MMB showed flight cancelled, then rebooked on same flightno in J - lasted a short time, now no evidence of this activity on MMB, just shows current state of affairs.

My, perhaps simplistic, view is that you can't cancel half a flight. So if F is cancelled, then so too are J, W and Y. But the evidence of what happened for my outward flight shows that that's not what they do.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by pumatwin
Had e-mail confirming my compensation payout. Claim was submitted on 1st June.
Thanks. Helpful data. So, an 8-day wait. I claimed on 6 June so will watch my e-mail and those of the other 4 family members in the next couple of days.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Would it not have just been easier to pay the cheque into her account and get her to give you the money
Because: a. She's 12 years old; and b. She does not live with me.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
A couple of months ago, I was on a BA flight to LHR with an onward connecting flight after, which diverted for a passenger medical emergency. Very much extraordinary circumstances, no doubt there.

It's the afterwards I'm disagreeing with BA on... It was 20 minutes from wheels down until the ambulance crew were carrying the passenger down the steps and into the ambulance. It was then over 2 hours until we took off again for Heathrow. I understand there's quite a bit of paperwork with an unplanned diversion, 2 hours seems a lot, but I won't push that.

When we landed at Heathrow, my connecting flight had left. However, there was a later one I could've still made within conformance times, so I wasn't then too stressed. Unfortunately, the arrival of our plane into T5 apparently caught BA by surprise! We spent almost 20 minutes waiting for someone to come turn the gate guideance on, then 30 minutes waiting for someone to come drive the jetbridge so we could get off. After all that, it was too late for the later connecting flight, and I didn't make it to my destination until lunchtime the next day.

I tried to claim from BA, saying I very much understood that the initial diversion was extraordinary circumstances, but that I could reasonably have made a later connecting flight with only a few hours delay even with that. Instead, because they repeatedly messed up the ground handling, I was over 12 hours late, and I felt that part did count for an EU261 delay. BA have replied saying that they feel the entire delay was "due to reasons outside of our control" and as such they won't cough up.

What do people think? Is it worth perusing it via CEDR, or am I wrong on the subsequent delay being back into scope of EU261?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
or am I wrong on the subsequent delay being back into scope of EU261?
no you are not wrong.

there was a recent case involving lightening when a court ruled that yes lightening was a valid exceptional circumstance but it did not give the airline involved carte blance to faff around. The case involved an accredited engingger at the airport saying the plane was OK but the lease owner of the plane demanded only their engineer give the OK and that caused the unnecessary delay.

It said that if the flight was delayed say 6 hours but the lightening issue was resolved (safety checks etc) after 3 then EU261 did apply the remaining 3 hour delay/

I can't remember the case reference but it has been mentioned previously on this thread.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
When we landed at Heathrow, my connecting flight had left. However, there was a later one I could've still made within conformance times, so I wasn't then too stressed. Unfortunately, the arrival of our plane into T5 apparently caught BA by surprise! We spent almost 20 minutes waiting for someone to come turn the gate guideance on, then 30 minutes waiting for someone to come drive the jetbridge so we could get off. After all that, it was too late for the later connecting flight, and I didn't make it to my destination until lunchtime the next day.
The case referred to by UKtravelbear is Peskova and Peska v Travel Service (C-315/15), it was a bird strike case. This has some utility to your case, but the argument was that a great deal more than 3 hours was taken by finding the appropriate engineer, whereas I don't see you saying that the unnecessary time exceeded that 3 hours here in all, though we don't have exact timings.

Personally I don't see this going very far though it's a bit difficult to be sure given the lack of precise information about timings (etc). I can't see BA shifting its position, so the decision I think you would need to make is whether you are prepared to go to MCOL or CEDR with this, in other words do you feel strongly enough about this to do the legwork and paperwork?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Compensation for cancellation Sat 27th May

Need advice on best way to get max back from BA

Wife and daughter were on flight to San Francisco Sat 27th that was cancelled. BA was unable to offer any alternative, but had taken her bag for flight. She was told go home and come back at get back tomorrow.

I booked them on United flight the following day at cost of £1150 total for both. My wife gave BA baggage tag to United.

They arrived at San Francisco and notified United of baggage issue with BA. United said they had no idea about bag. She had no clothes (and is 32 weeks pregnant) or for my daughter.

Following day we went to buy them clothes for trip - costing $500. She is 32 weeks pregnant, and pregnancy clothing is not cheap. The bag eventually arrived 2 days later

I made a cancellation to the booking via online system and got refund for original BA trip.

According I believe that 261/2004 entitles £520 per person. However, BA website says "Given the level of disruption, we know some customers made alternative travel arrangements themselves, when British Airways was unable to re-route them because of the system limitations, and they had to rebook to other airlines directly via their respective websites or through travel agents. Customers who had to do this are also eligible to make a claim."

So questions:
- If I want to claim max for flight and clothing what is the best approach?
Do I claim for alternative costs for United (as per BA site, as it is more than £520x2) - or do I claim for cancellation compensation
- how do I best deal with clothing costs?
- my wife came back home in a taxi from first day at heathrow? - is this covered by compensation - if so how do I claim?

Thanks to all who reply
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nikinp
Following day we went to buy them clothes for trip - costing $500. She is 32 weeks pregnant, and pregnancy clothing is not cheap. The bag eventually arrived 2 days later
First of all, welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA Forum nikinp. There is a lot more to this place than just this thread so I would very much encourage you to make the best use of this valuable resource. And my indirect expression of sorrow for your wife, it must have been a very difficult time for her and your daughter, all told.

I'm a bit unclear about the baggage issue: who returned the bag to you eventually, was it United or BA? The maximum claim on BA will be about £1200, and it may be better to use your insurance policy if you have one.

For the ticketing costs, your options are either to just accept the full refund from BA, alternatively to get the additional cost between United and BA. I suspect the latter is the best answer for you, though it depends on the fares obviously. In which case you need to keep the paperwork, and ring up BA Customer Relations. It's possible that it will be a case of getting a part refund from United, given the way the system works. It would have been easier to do this with AA.

For the taxi fare, BA normally allows £50, if it was more then you may be able to extract that but it will depend a bit on the end point and/or timing (in terms of public transport viability).
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA
Confirmation from BA today that I will be receiving €600 for the disruption over the bank holiday weekend.. had two cancelled flights, a delay leaving Boston and delayed arriving into Edinburgh.

Overall pretty impressed.... downgrade compensation received for LHR to EDI, replacement suitcase received for slight damage to one of my cases (and got to keep the slightly damaged one), silver extended for 2 years and had the extra tier points and Avios credited to my account for the downgraded LHR to EDI 👍
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
First of all, welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA Forum nikinp. There is a lot more to this place than just this thread so I would very much encourage you to make the best use of this valuable resource. And my indirect expression of sorrow for your wife, it must have been a very difficult time for her and your daughter, all told.

I'm a bit unclear about the baggage issue: who returned the bag to you eventually, was it United or BA? The maximum claim on BA will be about £1200, and it may be better to use your insurance policy if you have one.

For the ticketing costs, your options are either to just accept the full refund from BA, alternatively to get the additional cost between United and BA. I suspect the latter is the best answer for you, though it depends on the fares obviously. In which case you need to keep the paperwork, and ring up BA Customer Relations. It's possible that it will be a case of getting a part refund from United, given the way the system works. It would have been easier to do this with AA.

For the taxi fare, BA normally allows £50, if it was more then you may be able to extract that but it will depend a bit on the end point and/or timing (in terms of public transport viability).
Thanks for the response but this is inconsistent with what is stated by BA. That you are able to claim the refund (for flight missed) AND also compensation for cancellation disruption. My question is whether to make blanket 261 claim for £520 per person. Or for actual fare paid on united.

Bag was returned by united.

What are are thoughts related clothing?
thanks
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response but this is inconsistent with what is stated by BA. That you are able to claim the refund (for flight missed) AND also compensation for cancellation disruption. My question is whether to make blanket 261 claim for £520 per person. Or for actual fare paid on united.

Bag was returned by united.

What are are thoughts related clothing?
thanks
Ok, the bag seems to have been under United's control, so their policies (unfortunately) apply. I would go down that route - and your insurers may be a better bet here - and if you are out of pocket have a go at BA afterwards, but it's probably more to do with United than BA.

There is EC261 Article 7 compensation available, at 600€ per person, for all those delayed on longer flights, including your wife and daughter.

In addition there is a free rebooking entitlement, which BA were unable to perform themselves due to their computers being out. For the rebooking aspect, there are two options open to you, but you can either have a full refund on the ticket and nothing else; alternatively you can have a refund on the difference between the tickets, to the amount that you are out of pocket. The cost of the tickets will dictate which is best for you
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: British Airways
Received my compensation cheque yesterday for £217.88 (€250).
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I tried to claim from BA, saying I very much understood that the initial diversion was extraordinary circumstances, but that I could reasonably have made a later connecting flight with only a few hours delay even with that. Instead, because they repeatedly messed up the ground handling, I was over 12 hours late, and I felt that part did count for an EU261 delay. BA have replied saying that they feel the entire delay was "due to reasons outside of our control" and as such they won't cough up.

What do people think? Is it worth perusing it via CEDR, or am I wrong on the subsequent delay being back into scope of EU261?
No, the subsequent events at LHR doesn't erase the initial "extraordinary circumstances" cause. The facts described are far from being compareable to > 3h delay in trying to find a flight engineer. You will get nowhere with this.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So questions:
- If I want to claim max for flight and clothing what is the best approach?
Do I claim for alternative costs for United (as per BA site, as it is more than £520x2) - or do I claim for cancellation compensation
- how do I best deal with clothing costs?
- my wife came back home in a taxi from first day at heathrow? - is this covered by compensation - if so how do I claim?
The delayed luggage is a UA issue. UA was the carrier and failed to retrieve and load the luggage at LHR. BA has nothing to do with this. Ask for reimbursement from your travel insurance or UA.

As already explained your wife and daughter are entitled to EUR 600 for cancellation. In addition they have already received a full refund of the BA ticket. If the UA fare was higher than fare paid to BA, you may claim reimbursement of the difference between the UA and BA ticket. If the difference is minor, I suggest to let it go; your wife and daughter already receive EUR 600 per person from BA as compensation.

Taxi disbursements should be claimed from BA.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. That you are able to claim the refund (for flight missed) AND also compensation for cancellation disruption. My question is whether to make blanket 261 claim for £520 per person. Or for actual fare paid on united.
The answer was not inconsistent. Your wife and daughter are entitled to compensation EUR 600/GBP 520 for the cancellation PLUS refund of the fare paid to UA - BUT as the BA fare has already been refunded, the amount refunded will/should be deducted from the refund of UA fare; obviously, they can't get a full refund of the BA and at the same time ask for a refund of the UA fare; i.e. travel for free)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.