Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Schiehallion
I was hoping for some guidance please: Would two separate tickets (one -125 BA and one -105 AY) linked under one PNR be treated as two seperate 'destinations' under the legislation, i.e. would a delay of >3 hours on the first flight be eligible for compensation?
Yes - depends entirely on the reason for the delay of course - but if it qualifies yes.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:58 pm

How is the refund amount of a multi-leg itinerary calculated when only one leg of that itinerary is cancelled?

Original ticket was DUS-LHR-HND//CTU-LHR/LCY-FLR, where the outbound to Haneda was in December and the return from Chengdu in January. All in CE/CW, cost of around £1,400.

The ticket was then changed to LHR-NRT//CTU-LHR/LCY-FLR in December when DUS-LHR was cancelled due to fog [no charge made by BA].

Pax ended up flying LHR-NRT//CTU-LHR, then were notified on the ground that LCY-FLR were cancelled.

My understanding is they are covered for a partial refund under EU261, but not clear on how much this would be. I assume it would be the LCY airport fee (not sure how much this is for BA in CE), possibly some APD (though not sure if that's payable given they were transiting CTU-FLR via LCY) and a fare component (but obviously relatively little of the overall fare would be going to LCY-FLR vs. the long haul components).

Would be good to get some thoughts!

Last edited by DANNYB111; Jan 6, 2017 at 11:59 pm Reason: SPG
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:02 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Im wondering if the claim have been granted when they ask for my bank details? i got sent to LHR instead of LCY, i claim for taxi (uber) , they ask for my bank details, then next email say its rejected. what for!?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DANNYB111
Pax ended up flying LHR-NRT//CTU-LHR, then were notified on the ground that LCY-FLR were cancelled.

My understanding is they are covered for a partial refund under EU261, but not clear on how much this would be. I assume it would be the LCY airport fee (not sure how much this is for BA in CE), possibly some APD (though not sure if that's payable given they were transiting CTU-FLR via LCY) and a fare component (but obviously relatively little of the overall fare would be going to LCY-FLR vs. the long haul components).
If it was bought on one ticket, then firstly there are BA's internal refund calculations that come into play, which has nothing to do with EC261, this would be payable even if EC261 did not apply. Now in last year's thread there were a couple of cases where (e.g.) the DUB or BRU sectors were cancelled off a longhaul booking, e.g. PHL-LHR-BRU. The posters thought they would get very little back but in fact they got between £50 and £150, far more than they expected.

For EC261, the Regulations do not state that the refund on that sector needs to be enough to replace the journey, it could be pro-rata of the whole trip, or it could be just the difference, at the time of purchase, of buying without the Florence sector, so the refund would be very little or even a negative sum. The relevant wording just says "the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made" and doesn't provide a calculation method.

The upshot of this is that the EC261 protection isn't very strong, but luckily BA's own refund calculation is usually reasonable generous.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kaka
Im wondering if the claim have been granted when they ask for my bank details? i got sent to LHR instead of LCY, i claim for taxi (uber) , they ask for my bank details, then next email say its rejected. what for!?
We can only speculate, you better call up and ask, but it sounds like the classic left hand/right hand syndrome of large companies. You could just submit bank details and see what happens.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by DANNYB111
How is the refund amount of a multi-leg itinerary calculated when only one leg of that itinerary is cancelled?

Original ticket was DUS-LHR-HND//CTU-LHR/LCY-FLR, where the outbound to Haneda was in December and the return from Chengdu in January. All in CE/CW, cost of around £1,400.

The ticket was then changed to LHR-NRT//CTU-LHR/LCY-FLR in December when DUS-LHR was cancelled due to fog [no charge made by BA].

Would be good to get some thoughts!
Presume you're ignoring cancellation compensation as it was weather related? (LCY has been badly hit last few weeks)
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
We can only speculate, you better call up and ask, but it sounds like the classic left hand/right hand syndrome of large companies. You could just submit bank details and see what happens.
i gave them an email regarding that and EC261/2004 Article 8.3 re re-routing and sending me back to the original airport. lets see where that takes me.
Thanks anyways!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I am looking for some wisdom on the forum.
My delayed flight was AY118 (TLL-HEL, booked as BA6048 in Y class). AY claims the flight is operated by NoRRA, but when I look at the flight details it says operated by NoRRA for FINNAIR (I had similar cases when operated by Airberlin for Finnair - basically Airberlin captain and plane but AY crew). Can I continue my claim (400 Euro for more than 3 hour delay on arrival to LHR) against Finnair, as ultimately there is no way to buy NoRRA ticket/flight numbers and it is operated for FINNAIR?
(click here to NoRRA website which talks about flying FINNAIR)

Also, NoRRA website says:

We kindly request that all questions concerning operations and flights are directed towards Finnair’s communications department through the number +358 9 818 4020 or by email [email protected].
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Yes, that seems fairly clear cut, so long as you specifically requested EC261 compensation. I can't see any obvious get out clauses there. Always a good idea to make a contemporary note of what captains say in this situation, BA pilots are generally excellent at keeping people informed. You may need to wait a week or two to hear more, but if you are lucky you may be fast tracked on this one. The only hesitation I have is that I imagine that CR have been snowed under with fog queries (note unsubtle mixed metaphor) and so there may now be a backlog. Therefore I'd leave it a month before calling up.
Was approved this morning (6 days after submission). Interestingly I was offered an option between the €600 and 42500 Avios. Had read of this happening before, but it was the first time for me.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaka
i gave them an email regarding that and EC261/2004 Article 8.3 re re-routing and sending me back to the original airport. lets see where that takes me.
Thanks anyways!
approved. they paid for the uber fare. of coz since it was fog related there was no compensation.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I am looking for some wisdom on the forum.
My delayed flight was AY118 (TLL-HEL, booked as BA6048 in Y class).
As far as I know, you can only buy the ticket from Finnair (etc), not directly from Nooorrrrraaa. So my take on this is that it is indeed for Finnair to resolve. AY's approach to EC261 is legendary, quite breathtaking, and sufficient to make BA look like Miss Bountiful in comparison. So best of luck, since you will need a lot of it.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Any recent experience with BA on their obligation to pay for transport when they rerouted you to a different airport? LHR vs. LCY in my case. Is the rumoured £50 limit still in effect - would just about cover an Uber or HEX+Uber in my case

(And I know I need agreement if not going to LCY itself - I'm very close though, 2 miles in it from LHR)
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

The £50 guideline for the taxi element is still in place. This is dodgy if there is no reasonable public transport option or it is late at night. If you initiated the change - or suggested the reroute - then it's on your account. If BA made the change they can try the £50 limit, but they have been known to pay more when challenged (usually over the telephone). If there is no reasonable public transport option AND it was a BA initiated change, I doubt it would stand up in court.

I don't know if they would pay HEX and say £20 of Uber, I suspect they would.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
As far as I know, you can only buy the ticket from Finnair (etc), not directly from Nooorrrrraaa. So my take on this is that it is indeed for Finnair to resolve. AY's approach to EC261 is legendary, quite breathtaking, and sufficient to make BA look like Miss Bountiful in comparison. So best of luck, since you will need a lot of it.
Thanks c-w-s, i heard the stories of months of fighting and MCOLs.... There was a few of us delayed and we all got rejections to any responsibility from Finnair, so now preparing a formal notice and then MCOL, worth it for the Euro 400.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:14 pm
Suspended

The £50 guideline for the taxi element is still in place. This is dodgy if there is no reasonable public transport option or it is late at night. If you initiated the change - or suggested the reroute - then it's on your account. If BA made the change they can try the £50 limit, but they have been known to pay more when challenged (usually over the telephone). If there is no reasonable public transport option AND it was a BA initiated change, I doubt it would stand up in court.

I don't know if they would pay HEX and say £20 of Uber, I suspect they would.
really?!
i just got confirmed payout (42gbp) taking an uber LHR- Cwharf in the evening after a 3-4gbp airport charge n stuff. However the black cab BA hitched for me another day LCY-LHR during morning peak was 100GBP. Im surprised they have a 50gbp cap!

my reroute was due to a fogged LCY.

PS: now thinking about it, if it wasnt fogging at LCY around the time of the flight(or the outbound flight of it) but just from cascading effects, should i be given compensation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.