Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 8:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
I was scheduled to fly BA55 to JNB and connect to CPT on Comair. I have been able to secure a seat on this evening's BA55 to JNB but now connecting to SA on the JNB-CPT legs when Comair is wide open.

1. I am assuming that I am eligible for the EC261 compensation (€600 for a 24 hour delay).
2. Will the SA segment impact the compensation amount?
3. Should I push at check-in to be put on Comair for the JNB-CPT leg?
1. Yes (if this debacle turns out to qualify for EC261) not for a delay but for the cancellation of last night's flight
2. No.
3. Up to you, there is no impediment to your potential EC261 claim if you take this service.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by HMPS
Apologies if asked already.
Is there an estimate of how much in total will BA have to pay out due to EU 261 and goodwill?
It appears it will go into millions...How is the BA stock doing ?
You probably meant IAG stock?

It's happily at the same level as at closing on Friday night. You won't miss anything until start of trading Tuesday morning.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Various memberships
Would appreciate the collective wisdom of the board on this.

Passenger currently flying back from the EU (family member). Outgoing from LHR just squeezed in under the 3 hour limit and it looked like the turnaround had been shortened so they would be about 2.5 hours late back into the UK.

I have just been told (via text) that the Captain has said they have been delayed by another 1.5 hours due to weather and ATC issues over France.

It now looks like a delay of almost 4 hours.

Would 261 be applicable in this cases?

Thanks for any input

TE
Old May 28, 2017, 12:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
so they would be about 2.5 hours late back into the UK.

I have just been told (via text) that the Captain has said they have been delayed by another 1.5 hours due to weather and ATC issues over France.

I would suspect not, unless their flight was cancelled and rebooked on to this service. There are storms over France at the moment (and a risk of it coming to London) and so you have to subtract that aspect from the total delay time. You need a delay of 3 hours purely down to BA, in this context.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Let me add to cws's comment, which is of course correct, by saying you should put a claim in anyway if you are over 3 hours and see what happens. It is possible based on the disruption it may get through.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Would appreciate the collective wisdom of the board on this.

Passenger currently flying back from the EU (family member). Outgoing from LHR just squeezed in under the 3 hour limit and it looked like the turnaround had been shortened so they would be about 2.5 hours late back into the UK.

Thanks for any input

TE
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would suspect not, unless their flight was cancelled and rebooked on to this service. There are storms over France at the moment (and a risk of it coming to London) and so you have to subtract that aspect from the total delay time. You need a delay of 3 hours purely down to BA, in this context.
CWS, beat me on this one...
Old May 28, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Various memberships
Hi C-W-S, KARFA and vbroucek

I thought that would be the case - no harm in asking.

Thanks

TE
Old May 28, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Flying out of GLA to LGW yesterday @ 16:05 onf 2975. Flight was cancelled @ 14:15 and told nothing available today and only standby availability today. 5 of us, so we decided to train back down to London. My understanding is

- Category 1 flight claim (1500km or less), so max of Eur 250
- As we decided to find our own way back Duty of care is no longer relevant to our party

So we plan on
- Claiming for the train down £136
- Refund of the avios as it was an awards flight

Is this the right approach or are we missing out? Should we also be claiming the Eur 250?? Guidance appreciated.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:11 pm

The flight I was booked on yesterday was cancelled, and then the flight I was rebooked on to this evening was also cancelled. If it comes to ec261 for cancellations, does anyone know if this would be one claim or two?
Old May 28, 2017, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by oktane
So we plan on
- Claiming for the train down £136
- Refund of the avios as it was an awards flight

Is this the right approach or are we missing out? Should we also be claiming the Eur 250?? Guidance appreciated.
The 250€ should be payable regardless if your flight was clearly cancelled.

Usually BA either refund the ticket OR rebook you OR refund the train ticket (more germane for those on return tickets where it's easiest to go with the flow rather than attempt to split ticket values). In your shoes I think you're looking at the 250€ and the Avios refunded, but you would then pay the train fare. It wouldn't be sensible on this route where Avios availability is very good, but if it was a more awkward to find route I would urge a rebook if it could be done.

You can also claim food and drink for any implied delays from the new journey, unless you claimed for a refund.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
The flight I was booked on yesterday was cancelled, and then the flight I was rebooked on to this evening was also cancelled. If it comes to ec261 for cancellations, does anyone know if this would be one claim or two?
Theoretically two if the reservation was ticketed twice (which seems to be the case here). But I wouldn't count your chickens, I doubt BA will roll over on that one.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
If a package holiday (flight+hotel) was cancelled what's the best way to play it? Can I insist on a reschedule at a time of my choice or do I have to accept their refund and rebook, which may be more expensive?

Also what happens to experiences and ground transfers that I pre-paid that cannot be cancelled? Obviously can use travel insurance but don't really think it's fair I pay the excess.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniboot
If a package holiday (flight+hotel) was cancelled what's the best way to play it? Can I insist on a reschedule at a time of my choice or do I have to accept their refund and rebook, which may be more expensive?

Also what happens to experiences and ground transfers that I pre-paid that cannot be cancelled? Obviously can use travel insurance but don't really think it's fair I pay the excess.
Don't worry about the fairness issue, otherwise insurance would never apply! You pay for a service, not a moral compass.

For the first point, EC261 is potentially slightly different in your case, but unless I'm much mistaken, BA Holidays will allow you to reschedule without additional costs. I suspect they'll also rebook the ground transfer and experiences.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Theoretically two if the reservation was ticketed twice (which seems to be the case here). But I wouldn't count your chickens, I doubt BA will roll over on that one.
Thank you, I guess we'll all have to wait and see how this shakes out...
Old May 28, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
I suspect I know the answer to this but want to double check. My sister had 2 flights booked for today (Manchester to LHR, LHR to BSL). The LHR to BSL flight was not affected by the IT outage but the MAN to LHR leg was cancelled (and they only told her with a text message at 4am this morning).

BA has rebooked her on a flight out tomorrow for all the segments and put her up in a hotel for tonight. For cancellation compensation purposes, is she entitled to compensation for both elements of the journey (i.e. one lot of EURO250 for MAN to LHR and one for LHR to BSL) or is she just entitled to compensation for the MAN to LHR route?

(FTR I suspect it's just one 250 claim but want to make sure)

Cheers

1F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.