Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:23 pm

MLE1,

I have just run your flight details through a leading aviation solicitors flight delay calculator, they also believe that you have a valid claim.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Tyzap
I have just run your flight details through a leading aviation solicitors flight delay calculator, they also believe that you have a valid claim.
Don't those sites run on a fairly mechanical system, basically looking at the length of the delay?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Don't those sites run on a fairly mechanical system, basically looking at the length of the delay?

Some may do, but the one I used is probably the most sophisticated in the industry. I have rarely found it to be inaccurate.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Some may do, but the one I used is probably the most sophisticated in the industry. I have rarely found it to be inaccurate.
Which one is it you use?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Which one is it you use?
Bott & Co.

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-...ion/calculator
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks.

What’s the calculator based on? Just looking at public data sources or something more in depth?

i can understand how it could give an indication based on delay time, length of route, airline, and take in to account where there are well known weather/strike/ATC issues. However I am just wondering how it could provide an analysis on the specific issue here of 787 fan blade corrision problems and give an in depth assessment of whether a claim could be successful?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Thanks.

What’s the calculator based on? Just looking at public data sources or something more in depth?

i can understand how it could give an indication based on delay time, length of route, airline, and take in to account where there are well known weather/strike/ATC issues. However I am just wondering how it could provide an analysis on the specific issue here of 787 fan blade corrision problems and give an in depth assessment of whether a claim could be successful?
Exactly. It isn't sophisticated at all. Just looks at public info - was the flight delayed, was it x hours late etc. If it flags you have a possible case then you can contact them for further consideration.

Bott & Co appear to be pretty good though, and they appear to relish taking the airlines on. I wonder how many cases get settled before court.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:36 pm

My flight got cancelled over 14 days before, so EC261 is technically not in play and may not entitle me to compensation. However my only option to fly out the same day is to another airport about 200 miles away. How good are my chances in getting some sort of compensation?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Well woot. Within a few days of lodging a claim for a flight to India about a year ago, BA are stumping up 300Euro without any argument at all.

Thanks for the info on this thread, very helpful. Can I ask whether it could be made a sticky, as it's a bugger to find when it slips down the pages, and one of the more useful threads.

[EDIT} ignore that - just figured out what the dashboard is for. Doh!
LCSinTexas likes this.

Last edited by bisonrav; Dec 6, 2017 at 5:53 am
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Just for a data point, BA did a great job with my Vegas claim. Flight BA275 was delayed by 6 hours with an aircraft change (was discussed in another thread somewhere) on Nov 11th. I put a claim in as did Ms Gaxxy on the Monday we got home 2 weeks later, the 27th Nov. by Weds 29th I'd had a response accepting the claim and also letting us know Ms Gaxxy's claim was part of the same case number. We both responded saying please just pay into the same account as one payment, this was confirmed on Saturday and we received the money on Wednesday 6th December. All in all, pretty easy and fast so well done BA!

Maybe flying F helped but either way I was actually quite impressed with how painless it was. There are a lot of posts about problems in this area but I wanted to share my experience.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:21 am

600 euros or 300 euros

Hello,
I have a question about how much compensation money I am entitled to. I booked a flight from Heathrow to Baltimore, USA in August this year to fly on 3rd November, departing at 3:15pm. Two days before the flight I was notified that the flight was cancelled due to a scheduling error. I was offered an alternative flight to fly to Dulles (Washington DC) which departed at 11:30am on the same day (3 hours and 45 minutes BEFORE the booked time), which I reluctantly accepted. As far as I understand it in the case of a flight cancellation within 7 days of the scheduled flight I am entitled to 600 euros in compensation, as the distance is over 3500km and I was forced to depart more than 1 hour before the originally booked flight time. The airline has told me "because you arrived at your destination within four hours of your scheduled arrival time, you’re entitled to €300.00 in compensation, which is 50% of the full amount." On the EU page that details my rights it states "if the air carrier has offered you re-routing and you reach your final destination with a delay of 2, 3 or 4 hours the compensation may be reduced by 50%". I did not arrive at the destination airport with a delay of 2, 3 or 4 hours; I arrived at a different airport about 3 hours BEFORE the originally scheduled arrival time (it did however take me 1 hour by road to reach Baltimore from Dulles airport), but I was very much inconvenienced by having to leave London almost 4 hours before the booked time. My question here is am I entitled to 600 euros or 300 euros?
Many thanks,
Jack
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jackharpenden
My question here is am I entitled to 600 euros or 300 euros?
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum jackharpenden, it's good to see you here, though less good to see the circumstances behind it. I hope you will continue to participate here.

My immediate reaction is that you're on 300€, not 600€, but you make a good lawyer-style point about the precise wording. Personally I don't think you will get very far, the intent of the legislation is to get airlines to rebook people more or less on time, and BA kind of did that. The inconvenience of a planned early departure is represented in the 300€. However that's just my view, and the only person who could decide the issue definitively is a judge. I can't see BA being more generous without being forced so to be.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
BA 1494 to Glasgow cancelled

Hi,
When there is a Queue at T5 First snakeing around the corner you know its bad. I arrived for the 19:55 only to be told by a BA agent all pre 2000 dep, flights have been cancelled. I got a text at 1848 from BA telling me my flight was cancelled which was a bit late as I had already arrived at T5.

I'm assuming as the cancellation was weather related I'm not entitled to compensation. After having scanned through this thread I couldnt see anything that related to refunded taxi fares (in my case £50. Should I assume and I have a receipt for it, if I submit this it will be refunded?

Thanks
ML
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Would BA refund a train ticket Ncl-London? We were dumped here off Hel flight, and told no seats tomorrow. Should we stay here for 2 nights at a rather nice crowne plaza?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
I'm assuming as the cancellation was weather related I'm not entitled to compensation. After having scanned through this thread I couldnt see anything that related to refunded taxi fares (in my case £50. Should I assume and I have a receipt for it, if I submit this it will be refunded?
For the snow event on Sunday 10 December 2017 I foresee no compensation will be payable. The taxi fare may well be refunded, as it happens the usual limit is £50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.