Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by simons1
You have a good chance as ground ops are in most cases BA's issue.

Give them 14 days notice of your intention to pursue this further and then file a MCOL case.
I'll give that a shot

The Captain didn't mention any collisions or anything so I'm quite suspicious of them saying that it "Wasn't us that caused the damage, so we're not liable".

Does anyone know who BA sub out to handle ground ops in T5? (Assuming that they do sub out and not employ their own ground crew. But if they subbed out, then it's a company still under their control IMO)
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by pilki42
Does anyone know who BA sub out to handle ground ops in T5? (Assuming that they do sub out and not employ their own ground crew. But if they subbed out, then it's a company still under their control IMO)
They don't contract out ground handling. There are other ground handling companies around LHR, but BA use their staff in T5 for almost all activities.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Many thanks for this information, I think it does give people a clear expectation as to what to expect. I recent update from someone going the CEDR route (in terms of timing) would also be useful, but I suspect actually MCOL may currently be the faster route at the moment. I think you were perhaps a bit kind to BA in the first few weeks, I think it is reasonable to wait (say) 3 weeks to get BA's response, but thereafter you may as well give them 16 days to settle in full.
Currently
Initial EC claim via BA website. 3rd Sept 2017
Response from BA saying No. 7 Sept 2017
Letter before action. 15 Sept 2017
Response from BA saying no, go to CEDR. 25 Sept 2017
CEDR raise 1st oct 2017
Accepted by CEDR 19th Oct 2017
Defense from BA submitted 8 Nov 2017

Preparing response to BA defense at the moment.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tim_T
Currently
Initial EC claim via BA website. 3rd Sept 2017
Response from BA saying No. 7 Sept 2017
Letter before action. 15 Sept 2017
Response from BA saying no, go to CEDR. 25 Sept 2017
CEDR raise 1st oct 2017
Accepted by CEDR 19th Oct 2017
Defense from BA submitted 8 Nov 2017

Preparing response to BA defense at the moment.
Thanks for that, an interesting comparison: assuming you had gone to MCOL on 25 September, and it had taken 5 weeks to get a defence, there is about a 10 day advantage to MCOL, the main delay being CEDR internal processes I guess.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:19 pm
Original Member

CWS
Just for completeness, I did receive from CEDR on the 16th Oct an acknowledgement that they were busy and that the normal 2 weeks to respond was not going to be met.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:53 am

I'm more or less in the same situation as Tim_T. I just received notice from CEDR indicating that BA are defending my claim on the basis that the strike was an extraordinary circumstance and they took all reasonable measures to prevent disruption.

My response, I presume, will be that neither of those statement is true - the strike should not be considered an "extraordinary circumstance" and there were measures they could have taken that did not include cancelling a flight which was not even manned by the Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew who were on strike.

Tim_T - if you have any brilliant additions to this response, do let me know!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
I received conformation this morning that BA will pay my claim in full.

thank you very much corporate-wage-slave for your assistance with this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Apologies for this question being on the brink of off-topic - as it relates to flights with UL (but I was crediting Avios & TP to my Exec Club if that helps!!).

I had a flight recently from LHR - CMB - BLR. The LHR to CMB arrived on time, but the CMB to BLR flight was delayed by 4 hours due to engine problems and a plane swap, and ultimately arrived 3:45 late. All on one ticket and single PNR

My understanding from googling (which nearly always brings me back to Flyertalk for the best info), is that although the final destination was over 3 hours late, it wasn't caused by the ex-EU flight, and so because it's a non-EU carrier, EU261 doesn't apply. Sounds pretty logical when I write it down, but I wasn't sure if the single ticket from LHR point made any difference?

Could anyone with a bit more knowledge and intelligence than me let me know if my interpretation is correct!!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Correct, no compensation.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ITFella
My understanding from googling (which nearly always brings me back to Flyertalk for the best info), is that although the final destination was over 3 hours late, it wasn't caused by the ex-EU flight, and so because it's a non-EU carrier, EU261 doesn't apply. Sounds pretty logical when I write it down, but I wasn't sure if the single ticket from LHR point made any difference?
Unfortunately I can't see this leading anywhere, the protection for passengers outside Europe, Turkey and Israel is quite limited for this sort of situation. If you have any direct costs as a result of this you may be able to claim them but compensation for delay won't be possible as far as I can tell. There have been some legal cases in this area, and the CAA have been taking an interest too, but their focus has been when the first flight (starting in Europe) was late and causes a mis-connect, rather than the second flight.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Tim_T
CWS
Just for completeness, I did receive from CEDR on the 16th Oct an acknowledgement that they were busy and that the normal 2 weeks to respond was not going to be met.
My response to BA’s defence submitted 12th November. CEDR assign adjudicator 14th November.
2 weeks given for decision
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unfortunately I can't see this leading anywhere, the protection for passengers outside Europe, Turkey and Israel is quite limited for this sort of situation. If you have any direct costs as a result of this you may be able to claim them but compensation for delay won't be possible as far as I can tell. There have been some legal cases in this area, and the CAA have been taking an interest too, but their focus has been when the first flight (starting in Europe) was late and causes a mis-connect, rather than the second flight.
Thanks CWS and BA6501, I guess I’ll just chalk that one up to experience! I was very well looked after in the lounge at CMB, so the delay was reasonably pleasant!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I had a 3.5 hour delay this weekend on a lfight from UK to US.

Should I reach out to BA Customer relations to make a complaint first?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by navatwal

You have asked this question and have been given answers in your other thread you posted.

3hr+ Delay Entitlement to Compensation
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navatwal

Yes, you should have a look at the guidance at the top of the thread, then if you believe you are eligible for EC261 compensation, go on to the BA website and you'll find a Help in Disruption / Compensation link in the Information area. In the form make sure you clearly claim for EC261 compensation for the delay, and take a screen shot / print before submission.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.