Compensation - Fog, Delays, Bags

Old Dec 30, 16, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, NZ *G, Le Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold
Compensation - Fog, Delays, Bags

Hi All

Looking for some advice.

Was booked on CDG to LHR at 4.05 today, which was cancelled due to fog. I was transferred to BA323 which would have left at 6.20, but finally left CDG on a 747 to carry all pax at about 11pm having boarded around 9pm.

Heathrow is a shambles. Massive lines, limited and useless staff.

Now an announcement that bags won't appear until around 2.30-3.30am. I was ticketed in Club. I

Am I due any compensation at all? I understand the EU thing may not apply as it's 'extraordinary' circumstances, but really, three hours to get bags out??

I've never seen anything like this in all my years of travel. Husbands and wives cracking at each other, tired and stressed people of all ages.

Totally bemused. If it was going to be like this why didn't BA say in Paris - I'd have stayed there. I am also a One World Emerald with QF.

Thanks in advance. SSNZ
Old Dec 30, 16, 8:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
You are not entitled to any compensation.
Old Dec 30, 16, 8:37 pm

Compensation - no.

I suppose you could go home and report your bags missing.
Old Dec 30, 16, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no exception to liability for luggage in the Montreal Convention, so you are entitled to compensation for costs arising from the luggage delay up to (iirc) a maximum of XDR1333
Old Dec 30, 16, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 won't apply, so no compensation.

If you can point to a specific service failure in light of the massive weather system crippling BA's worldwide hub, perhaps you will see some pittance by way of avios tossed your way, perhaps not. Not sure that the lack of marital bliss amongst tired couples is compensable.

As to your luggage, FlightAware shows it as on the gate at 23:30. If 60 minutes were the outside it might take luggage to make it to you and tonight it takes 180 minutes, not sure what specific expenses you would incur during the 120 minutes which you could support as reasonable. I would expect BA to deny them and allow you to litigate if you wished.

On the other hand, if you reside in the London area or are staying put for a bit and don't need anything in those bags for a bit, why not simply head home / to hotel and let BA deliver them?
Old Dec 30, 16, 10:00 pm

Last edited by adrianjc32; Mar 30, 17 at 7:33 pm
Old Dec 31, 16, 1:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I've been in exact same situation like you, arriving at LHR from CDG at 11pm after a 5 hours delay we were told bags would come out around 2 am. I went straight to the baggage handlers and asked them if they could deliver them next day. My bag got re-united with me at 10am without any issues.

PS. I'm jealous for the 747 on CDG-LHR ;-)
Old Dec 31, 16, 2:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can only join in the dawn chorus about EC261. There is a specific thread for the topic in the Dashboard but unless there was a unique complicating factor which wasn't weather related, I doubt anyone will be seeing any compensation for the recent events.

Some insurance policies offer small payments for extended delays, I guess to make life a bit more comfortable, but the reality is with over 200 cancellations yesterday it was always going to be a rotten day for flying. LHR gets fog from time to time, usually it burns off by about 10 hrs, and the earlier hours aren't so busy anyway, but if the fog persists beyond that then it's going to be difficult. If there are extended baggage delays at LHR, LGW or LCY, check at the BA desk, they may well be offering next day delivery by courier, though at this time of year it may take a couple of days.

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experiences. When you get a moment by all means tell us of your 747 experience from Paris, some of us would be intrigued.
Old Dec 31, 16, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Well done BA.

Accepting that the travel experience was very unpleasant, as it sometimes can be, I applaud BA for getting a 747 out to Paris and getting as many people home as possible.
Many airlines would not/could not do that.
For most passengers, I imagine waking up this morning in their own beds and being able to go about their business today will be preferable to being stranded in Paris.
Old Dec 31, 16, 3:15 am

People who call BA staff useless in situations like this baffle me. They aren't gods who have control over the weather. Yesterday, everyone worked hard to do the best that they could for customers. A lot of staff were sworn at and called lots of nasty things. They didn't deserve that.
Old Dec 31, 16, 3:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HereToHelp View Post
People who call BA staff useless in situations like this baffle me. They aren't gods who have control over the weather. Yesterday, everyone worked hard to do the best that they could for customers. A lot of staff were sworn at and called lots of nasty things. They didn't deserve that.
No, they don't deserve that. I guess to a degree it goes with being in customer service, and it's amazing how frustrated people get, but I could see from the Twitter feed yesterday it was pretty much full on. BA staff need a big thank you. Plus their own travel arrangements, work or non work related, would have been badly disrupted too.
Old Dec 31, 16, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
Good for BA sending out the 747 to collect all the stranded passengers. My niece was due to be on easyJet from Amsterdam yesterday and by 11pm they were told to sort out their own accommodation and that they had no space to rebook onto alternate flights until Thursday.

She didn't get into a bed until 2.30. I'm sure she would have been delighted to be picking up her bags and heading home at that point.
Old Dec 31, 16, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by ssnz View Post
Am I due any compensation at all?
No. You got there in the end. Be thankful, considering the circumstances.

I am sure the BA staff did everything they could, despite the pressure they were under.
Old Dec 31, 16, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC (continued soft landing)
I think, putting aside the compensation business. Yesterday for many was one frustration after another. I was in the baggage hall when the announcement regarding times was made (at 00:15, delays of 1-2am for some flights and 2-3am for others). Our flight number wasn't mentioned so I tried to hunt down the baggage people to find out what that meant for us. Anyway, as a side story there were many angry people.

Now, I can recount my story and it was one (mostly unavoidable) tragedy after another.

First of course the delays. Now I say unavoidable, but we really run LHR so close to capacity that anything out of the ordinary creates so many cancellations it's not really "out of the ordinary" any more. Not sure what can be done about that though. Business is business and no-one owning an airport will want to run it at 70% capacity "to be safe" so. OK. We deal with the delay. Certainly for a change we can't blame BA.

Finally with varying degrees of delay (6 hours for me) we got away generally without any problems. Only to arrive some 3 hours later at terminal C. Minor annoyance we all get from time to time. My thinking was that with the lower capacity, surely they would have cleared up the A gates. But, then we found out why. Since the fog cleared some they cleared just about every waiting flight to go.

Meaning quite a busy queue for the border, which to be fair moved so much faster than it did in the era of 3 e-gates that switched off at 10pm (or so), but a quite strange snaking queue going to parts of the area I'd never visited, it was a very interesting tour that lasted some 20minutes. As I say, for the sheer number of people it was fast moving, and proof the e-gates are a good thing.

Finally, I thought. Surely, after the wait for the train, the walking and the waiting, the bag would be ready.

Alas, no. They were struggling too, presumably no-one had considered the possibility that the fog might clear (despite all the airlines counting on it, apparently). When we arrived allegedly (overheard from a very hounded manager there) they had just "finished" with the departures and were currently working on arrival belts 1-6.

To me, it was just another annoying thing after a really really long day.

So, I understand the frustrations of the OP (if not the automatic move to compensation). Yesterday was a very <expletive deleted> day.

What was only made clear, if you hunted down a manager was that if you didn't want to wait, you could go online to BA and elect to have your bag delivered to you. But, you'd only find this out if you went hunting for one of these elusive (well they were all hanging around the business/first baggage queues) managers.

Just my penny's worth.
Old Dec 31, 16, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by ssnz View Post

Heathrow is a shambles. Massive lines, limited and useless staff.
I'd like to see how well you'd fare when you have your usual passengers load but can fly only 50% of the program because the flow rate is 26 an hour and won't change for the whole day.

Being called useless was one of the kindest words I've been given when working in the airport during the disruption (c**t is the most frequent). I'd love to see anyone of those who rain down abuse on staff (for something beyond their control) in the staff's shoes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: