Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Permanent Reduction of LCY-JFK from 31 Oct 2016 : BA3&4 cancelled.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

From 30th October 2016 there will be a permanent reduction in the number of weekly LCY-JFK services. They will reduce from 11 to 6 per week. The BA3 and BA4 will cease to exist and there will be some retimes to the BA1/2 which will operate on everyday except Saturday.

The plan for the spare A318 is not yet known.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Oh, thanks for the update - quite some reduction to this service. Not good. Wouldn't be surprised that withing the medium term the LCY-JFK will get reduced permanently

We'll, for some of my upcoming trips this means rebooking as in autumn I'm more on the BA4 service. We'll see.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I'm sure this happens every year: I was hoping to use the service at Christmas but seems to shut down from around 15th December to around 8th January - presumably because the City is quieter?

Last edited by Sealink; Aug 31, 2016 at 5:42 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Not sure. BA3 is pretty useless now to a lot of people due to the lack of pre-clearance at SNN so it's probably the better option to head to LHR.
Might be Brexit related as well.

BA4 won't operate if BA3 doesn't fly to JFK in the first place.

Always possibly the spare A318 will be used on a Middle Eastern route or there may be a demand for somewhere else on the east coast?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
A little too early for a Brexit effect on TATL flying, IMHO. Perhaps the reduction of the F equivalent number of TP's decreased the demand? The general impression was that the financial sector, not TP runners, kept these flights alive.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by xenole

Always possibly the spare A318 will be used on a Middle Eastern route or there may be a demand for somewhere else on the east coast?
Wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Gulf states served by the A318. It may not even be from LCY.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Will be interesting to see where the other A318 flies.

Surely the loss of TP runners made a bit of a difference to bookings?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by onobond
A little too early for a Brexit effect on TATL flying, IMHO. Perhaps the reduction of the F equivalent number of TP's decreased the demand? The general impression was that the financial sector, not TP runners, kept these flights alive.
There are a few companies out there preparing for the worst with regards to Brexit and maybe BA knows something that most of us don't or they're just cutting out the less profitable flights?

I'm sure TP runners did add quite a bit to some flights especially in Mar/Apr/Aug/Dec especially as they could be half the passengers on some ex-DUB to HNL runs!
I've only ever seen the planes 1/2 full both ways when I've flown BA1/2/3.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Surely the loss of TP runners made a bit of a difference to bookings?
Even if it did, those are not bookings which contribute much (if anything) to the route's profitability.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Even if it did, those are not bookings which contribute much (if anything) to the route's profitability.
Very true, but surely with a full plane it's easier to justify the service. Just guessing of course.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Very true, but surely with a full plane it's easier to justify the service.
Why? Anyone can fill a plane. The trick is filling a plane that makes money.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Sealink
I'm sure this happens every year ...
Been confirmed by one of the pilots on Twitter too that this is permanent.

Even if BA can't seem to figure out that if you only operate BA1, you can't operate BA2 and BA4.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by onobond
A little too early for a Brexit effect on TATL flying, IMHO.
But it still may be an excuse. Most likely demand at the airline's average wanted price point for a flight hasn't turned out to be there enough not to justify a shift in resource allocation.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Even if BA can't seem to figure out that if you only operate BA1, you can't operate BA2 and BA4.
Yes, I noticed that that they were still selling tickets to BA2 and BA4 after Oct 31, but in the last few minutes BA4 has been deleted from the timetables.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Why? Anyone can fill a plane. The trick is filling a plane that makes money.
Yes indeed, and I'm sure most of those flights did make money with the corporate clients and top paying passengers. But I wonder if they were supplemented with those who didn't provide BA with much profit (i.e. TP runners).

I'm not saying this is true of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.