Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stir that pot: BA may set up MAN base in 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stir that pot: BA may set up MAN base in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
How long ago did the Man -JFK 767 service get binned?
There used to be a BHX /GLA 757 service across the pond too.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Tesco, The Local Pub
I live 40 minutes drive from BHX. At present I always fly BHX-DUB-LHR-XXX-LHR-DUB-BHX. Save money and don't lose as much time as you might imagine. Having said that any move to fly from places not in London may be attractive to me.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
How long ago did the Man -JFK 767 service get binned?
There used to be a BHX /GLA 757 service across the pond too.
MAN-JFK was axed in late 2008.

There was once a MAN-LAX flight too.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 1:14 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The AA routes to MAN have been terrible over the last year, especially JFK/ORD. Constantly delayed or cancelled.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 1:57 pm

Opening a few longhaul routes from MAN could give a slight reduction in pressure on MAN-LHR services, which often seem to be at full capacity, or nearly so. Even a week out, there are no seats available on some flights.

A positioning wide-body could further reduce the pressure, if it operated at the right time of day, except that it seems it would be from LGW, a destination (or origin) no longer served from MAN by BA (or anyone else?).
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by BERbound
Never. What would the 'London airways' moaners complain about then?
one swallow doesn't make a summer.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not surprised if this happens now they can employ staff on more realistic pay and conditions to match the direction the airline industry is heading nowadays.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:36 pm

I can't find anything about this on the BA Yammer... But then it's not the most user friendly system...
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Originally Posted by The Lion
European routes are allegedly PMI, IBZ, NCE, AGP & ALC, with LCY used to position the aircraft and provide crews.
I've not read the airliners thread yet, but would this mean a LCY-MAN-LCY route would also created?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:07 pm

I've not read the airliners thread yet, but would this mean a LCY-MAN-LCY route would also created?
Only to return the aircraft back to LCY for the beginning of the working week, in the same way that they fly STN to TXL once they've finished with the weekend holiday flights.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Originally Posted by wythy
Only to return the aircraft back to LCY for the beginning of the working week, in the same way that they fly STN to TXL once they've finished with the weekend holiday flights.

Darn it... I'd love a MAN or LBA service to LCY.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
I've heard it will be similar to the current STN arrangement. A number of leisure routes utilising the aircraft around the quieter weekends. PMI/AGP/FAO/ high on the list.

Long Haul - BA and IAG in general is being very aggressive on TATL. It will be a battle against TCX at MAN, just as they have at LGW with DY. I think it will be TATL only though, I can't see a random CPT or BKK.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Although JFK would be an obvious choice I would also like to think MCO would be a good contender, especially in the summer months. I believe VS run their fleet as LGW/MCO/MAN/MCO/LGW at least for some of the week. And clearly this route would fit with the increased Y seating.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:44 pm

Will need to see this to believe it. So will BA long haul ex EDI and potentially BHX when Norwegian start tx there?
Could they fill a club cabin on 757s/767s TX from the regions in the 90's? or will they have a three tier cabin layout for LHR<LGW<MAN ?
777s far too big even short term.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by BERbound
Never. What would the 'London airways' moaners complain about then?

Apologies in advance here if I misinterpret the intentions of your message - being season of goodwill etc..........but noting your location I can't help thinking that you don't understand the monumental pain in the ... transiting via T5 is for the entire rest of the country who don't happen to live in the Heathrow catchment area..... the thread topic would be great news for many travellers and I hope it leads to more regional long haul operations from BA.

The MAN to LHR route is not only an additional flight - it routinely becomes a missed connection due to circling round London for 45 minutes or "Stand occupied" issues or aircraft remote parking issues that make connections either very stressfull or impossible, leading to hours and hours waiting in LHR. And don't even get me started on security and immigration on the inbound route.....

Simply put - I routinely 'suffer' AA from MAN when I would happily pay more to fly BA if It meant I could avoid the LHR omni-shambles.....

Additionally lounges at LHR might be less of a bun fight if this actually happened.

Apologies if this comes out as overly 'angry' but the hurdles to spending money with BA that they themselves created become very wearing.....they really a hard company to spend money with.

I would always choose BA over other airlines when it makes sense but they have to provide useful options to their customers and a MAN outbound station should be welcomed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.