Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA's mileage visualiser - what's its largest point of reference?

Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Realised the other day BA's mileage visualiser changes its point of reference as your fly more and more. For example:

- You've flown to the north pole and back four times
- You've flown around the world five times
- You've flown half way to the moon

Etcetera.

How many steps are there? Just how far does it go? Surely someone on here with mad mileage under their belt can tell/show (or knows BA's designer )?

Curious!
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
This is a problem for me!

By utilising my Mr. Robot-level hacking skills consisting of the super-secret right-click + view source combo, I was able to look at the Angular code that is responsible for drawing the Flightpath trivia screen.

It appears that there are three bands or thresholds and the data you see depends on which band you are in. I couldn't find the exact values that determine the thresholds between the 3 bands.

The 3 bands are:
"Low": X times to the centre of the Earth OR X times the length of Nile OR X times around the Moon (one of the 3 is displayed randomly, different each time you visit)
"Medium": X times around Mars OR X times from the North Pole to the South Pole OR X times around the equator (picked randomly)
"High": X times to the Moon OR X orbits of the Moon around Earth OR X times the distance around the Sun (randomly)

From a professional perspective the underlying code is actually surprisingly decent and they even allowed the developers to sign their work with their names and @ba.com email addresses, which is quite frankly, not something most places allow!

Last edited by drhandsome; Dec 20, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
- aren't developer tools useful - nice one, drhandsome !

(and definitely good that code walkthroughs/ QA allowed a little bit of 'superfluous' material)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.