Wiki Posts
Search

Your single top tip for 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Oh, I'm not too late!

Check what privileges your non-shiny cards give you. I only just found out that Visa Infinite debit cards give lounge access just about everywhere (cost depending on account, I imagine) - including the Club lounge at the Sofitel T5, open way after the BA T5 arrivals lounge closes.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Download the maps.me map for the city you are travelling to. Even if you don't speak the language, and don't want to use your data abroad, you can still get about (very helpful option to have an arrow pointing in the direction you need to head in!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Amazingly, most of the top tips I was thinking of giving - from empty water bottle to being nice to others, from not drinking more than a glass of alcohol on flights to remembering things will go pear shaped and taking it easy, and from getting travel insurance to packing a day's worth of clothes in hand luggage if you can't travel fully HBO - have all been mentioned.

I'm feeling totally unoriginal but it confirms that there is a lot of wisdom to be found on FT!!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
This doesn't apply just to flying but it's a good philosophy for life generally: treat people as you'd like to be treated, and laugh and the whole world laughs with you but cry and you cry alone!

I have found that being polite, friendly, respectful and having a smile on your face goes such a long way and is more likely to result in a positive outcome than a wheelbarrow load of DYKWIA attitude.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Get an app with a secure photo saver, and snap a photo of a credit card. I'm using ky calc, disguised as a calculator.

Email yourself a photo of your passport so you can get a copy if you lose it.

If you forget your charger plug, check the back of your tv in your hotel room, the new tvs usually have a usb port you can plug your phone into
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
1. Manage Expectations. This is air travel in 2017. Aeroplanes are buses that fly in the sky. BAEC lounges are not the locale for tea with the queen.

2. BA is a generally a transportation service provider. They are not a friend, not a relative, nor a sports team. Treat them accordingly.

3. BA has no loyalty to you. Act accordingly.

4. Points 1-3 are not however excuses for boorish behavior.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by paul4040
My top tip for 2017: try and enjoy it. Relax. Oh, and San Jose is nice.
Shhhhhhh... don't tell anyone. Keep it our secret.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Purim
1. Manage Expectations. This is air travel in 2017. Aeroplanes are buses that fly in the sky. BAEC lounges are not the locale for tea with the queen.

2. BA is a generally a transportation service provider. They are not a friend, not a relative, nor a sports team. Treat them accordingly.

3. BA has no loyalty to you. Act accordingly.

4. Points 1-3 are not however excuses for boorish behavior.
I like 2&3 above more than some of my own tips
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold and various hotel programs (wishing they were all linked)
If you're used to booking direct through ba.com always check aa.com and expedia. I saved £900 this week for an F trip by doing this and getting the exactly the same flights that ba were pricing higher.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
1. Use On Business points before avois on Y flights as OB points expire 2 years from the end of the year they were awarded - active Avios accounts don't - I believe they now all book in to the same bucket

2. Check BA holidays prices before you book
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
1) Take the walkway to 5B/C. You're going to be sat down for the next few hours, and it's so peaceful down there. The only people you meet are other FTers and crew.
+1

It's like a ghost town when I've done it though…
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:15 pm

Don't expect much from BA, and if you have a complaint, don't get frustrated with customer services in trying to get compensation, just vote with your feet instead. Of course easier said than done..
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by dajdavies
+1

It's like a ghost town when I've done it though…
Same here. I only knew about the tunnel from reading it here on FT. I was in T5 for the first time in years and decided to walk the tunnel over to 5B for our flight to SAN. The lift stopped at the train level and the platforms were an absolute zoo. My wife and I were the only two passengers to stay on the lift down to the tunnel level. We didn't see another single soul on our walk over to 5B.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
Whilst it may be controversial, my top tip (if you are able) would be to guest an unsuspecting person into the lounge at least once.
What many of us take for granted can make an amazing difference to someone's trip and you never know you might make a new acquaintance which you are greatful for in years to come.

This is in addition to the regularly mentioned manners don't cost a thing so be polite and courteous to those around you, especially staff.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:53 pm

My top tip would be:

CE isn't worth the money. Take someone special out for a meal instead and yourself to Pret.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.