Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is there still a thrill for a rare F ride across the Atlantic?

Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:34 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

We have been planning for a couple years a trip SEA-ATH using an award ticket in April.

The last ( and only time) we flew BA F was about ten years ago. I remember it fondly and still wear the PJs every morning sipping my first cup of coffee.

I have read countless threads about the decline of BA's F service. They seem to be written by veteran fliers who know the service standards well.

While my expectations are in check and I have read all the threads about maximizing " your F experience", should I be lowering my expectations to the point that I should be wondering why I wasted my miles on a BA F flight.....or is there still hope for a bit of thrill for rookies like me?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Each to their own.
Personally any F flight where you spend most of it asleep is a waste of time to me. I want to experience the trappings of the cabin especially if it's not something I get to see that often.
Others want the sleep so they're refreshed for work etc. in the morning.

It should be a long enough flight though to enjoy a bit of everything and at the end of the day, it's an experience whether good or not quite up to expectations.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GGL
Definitely still a thrill.

Most of my flying is in WT or WTP on my own. So when I get a bump to Club I'm thrilled.

First, for me, is worth it on Avios (preferably off-peak to save). It's not that many hundreds (or thousands) of pounds 'better' than Club to pay out of pocket IMO, but as the tax is the same from CW to F there's no cash difference.

When travelling with a partner it adds to the fun too - from the CCR lounge to the flight itself.

Go for it. Or do First outbound, Club back, save some Avios and see the difference first hand.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It seems to me that precisely by nature, the less you are used to a product, the more of a thrill there can be. Not all BA F flights were created equal (if only because of significant equipment differences) but whilst I am one who has pointed out that BA F has falled quite a lot behind much of the competition, I have also frequently expressed that in my view, most BA F flights are still a pleasant experience, and if, for example, you are used to BA CW, it will be a significant step up.

I also think that relatively longer routes are definitely a better way to experience it and that is the case with SEA which avoids the infamous afternoon tea in favour of a much preferable second meal.

So basically, it is all a question of point of reference, expectations, and opportunity cost:

- If you are a typical F flyer who is lucky enough to regularly travel LHR-HND on JL, LHR-SIN on SQ, LGW-CGK on GA or CDG-JFK on AF all in F and can instead experience LHR-SEA for a similar price, don't bother as you'll very likely be disappointed;

- If you are a typical CW flyer who is lucky enough to typically travel J and have a chance to get F instead for a relatively low price differential, then absolutely go for it: you'll enjoy the smaller cabin, greater staff attention, better lounge, very decent (if admittedly not spectacular) wines and typically good food as long as it isn't a flight with breakfast for the main meal;

- If you are used to either the 'weaker F' like AA or UA, or the 'better J' like QR or SQ, then the answer is somewhere in between: I'd say go for it if the price difference is limited but don't expect to be blown away, just to have an overall comfortable and pleasant experience with good surprises in some areas and quite possibly some frustration in a few others.

I hope it helps.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
One thing to add is that I have always slept very well in F and some variability in CW. The bed, bedding and pillow is really quite good, the 789 and 388 anyway. Could've been the volume of wine of course 😁
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by david55
We have been planning for a couple years a trip SEA-ATH using an award ticket in April.
Glitch in the matrix, repeats below

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Dec 16, 2016 at 8:52 am
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:38 am

I have enjoyed all my F flights. I've had west coast daytime flights where I have made sure to enjoy every minute of it. I've had eastbound JFK flights where I have simply eaten in the CCR and then gone to sleep and I've not regretted the 18k avios for the upgrade at all. For me it is still a treat and it sounds like it will be for you too.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:39 am

Just spotted a crucial point: you're flying from USA to Greece, therefore probably via London Heathrow if you're on BA?

The BA First experience on that route - it's the 777-200 - is fine.

When you land at Heathrow, however, you'll be travelling Club Europe for the ongoing 4-5hrs to Athens, which is like economy without someone sat next to you. The planes they use are tatty old ones too IIRC (did it last November).

If you travel as a First passenger you'll get the Concorde Room lounge at T5 if there's time between connections. Club World you won't, but the ongoing Club Europe flight class will be identical.

Tax and Avios will be worse than using AA connecting in the States due to the multiple flights through a UK-based connection too, I'm afraid.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:43 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I should add....the tickets are booked ...so there is no flexibility to change cabins or flights. We are F/ CE RT.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic

I also think that relatively longer routes are definitely a better way to experience it and that is the case with SEA which avoids the infamous afternoon tea in favour of a much preferable second meal.
Sadly I believe SEA does get the pathetic afternoon tea - I belive only the longer CA, NV and AZ states get two hot meals. So the OP will have to ask for a burger or such to Ben held back.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
While my expectations are in check and I have read all the threads about maximizing " your F experience", should I be lowering my expectations to the point that I should be wondering why I wasted my miles on a BA F flight.....or is there still hope for a bit of thrill for rookies like me?
I flew BA F for the first time a month ago, still plenty of thrill in it for an infrequent flyer.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
The last ( and only time) we flew BA F was about ten years ago. I remember it fondly and still wear the PJs every morning sipping my first cup of coffee.
At least you will have a new PJ for the next 10 years to come! So enjoy BA F.
The LHR-ATH leg in CE would certainly be a deal breaker for me, the 4-5 hr trip in a cramped CE cabin has nothing to look forward for.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Although I've not flown F this year I would do so if the price was right (or UUA - I tend not to outright pay for longhaul flights using Avios as I need the TP for status). For me it's the crew that make the service as the product is not world leading. BA have massive business class cabins and so a relatively small F cabin means service can be more personalised.

I actually think of F the same way as I think of CE. It may not be a massive step up from the class below it but I value the extra space, improved catering and most importantly better service due to the smaller cabin.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Amex Platinum

The last ( and only time) we flew BA F was about ten years ago. I remember it fondly and still wear the PJs every morning...
I'm impressed the PJs have lasted so long!

Not so sure the current ones will...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:55 am

I should add....the tickets are booked ...so there is no flexibility to change cabins or flights. We are F/ CE RT.
Enjoy the F and CCR. Don't expect much from CE and you'll be happy.

How long do you have at the airport between flights in each direction?

Lastly: Athens is lovely. And that's the point of the trip! Your $ goes a long way there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.