From a recent GGL reception ...

Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:59 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by binman
Well for me on almost every measure imaginable.

Staff who just don't give a damn any more. - I HAVEN'T YET HAD A DISINTERESTED CREW IN F. INEXPERIENCED? YES. NOT DISINTERESTED.
Tired lounges - THEY AREN'T THAT BAD. THERE ARE THINGS THAT NEED IMPROVEMENT BUT BA's LHR LOUNGES ARE STILL BETTER THAN MOST OUT THERE. AN ASIDE FROM AN F CONVO, BUT OS'S VIE J LOUNGE IS AWFUL. LEAGUES BELOW ANY BA LHR LOUNGE.
Lack of Spa appointments - AND YOU GET SPA APPTS ON AA, CX, QR?
Excruciating boarding process - AGREE
Seats that are no better than some business seats. - BA F IS STILL SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN ANY J SEAT I'VE BEEN ON BUT I AGREE THAT THE F HARD PRODUCT IS LACKING COMPARED TO MANY. BUT THEN AGAIN, THE PRICE PREMIUM ISN'T THERE EITHER
Dirty planes -Filthy toilets - YMMV
Failing IFE - HAVE ONLY HAD IT ONCE
Inconsistent crew - AGREE BUT IN F, ALMOST EVERY CREW I HAVE HAD HAS STILL BEEN GOOD TO EXCELLENT
Appalling Catering - GIVE ME A BREAK? BA'S F FOOD MAY NOT BE CX/SQ. BUT IT IS GENERALLY TASTY AND ENJOYABLE.
Lack of catering - NEVER EXPERIENCED
No Flowers - TACKY BUT COME ON
Afternoon Tea and curled sandwiches - IT IS A CRAP PRODUCT, I AGREE
Removal of Blankets - HUH?
Silly pillow - THEY NEED TO BE REPLACED
Overly hot cabins - I LIKE THINGS COLD BUT BA HAS BEEN FINE FOR ME IN RECENT YEARS
Premium baggage delivery - AGREE ITS A JOKE
Delay handling - AGREE ITS A JOKE
Customer relations. - AGREE ITS DETEORATING

Give me QR CX AA business class any day ahead of this product.
I have been flying since 1986 in premium cabins and it has never seen it so bad. Happy to fly Club World Plus on points but never cash.
I think you're grossly overreacting. Comments in CAPS. The idea that BA F is worse than AA, CX, or QR J is just laughable. I often say that QR J and BA F compare well but BA F is always still the winner.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by sts603
I think you're grossly overreacting. Comments in CAPS. The idea that BA F is worse than AA, CX, or QR J is just laughable. I often say that QR J and BA F compare well but BA F is always still the winner.
I have long been among those agreeing that while BA F is weak, it is still better than most J products. Very recently, I have had a few experiences that escape this however.

One week from each other, I did BA F on LHR-MIA (morning flight), JFK-LHR (overnight) and QR J to Australia.

The outbound LHR-MIA was appalling. The main meal breakfast was quite frankly disgusting and did not have a single non-breakfast option (unlike daytime JFK-LHR flights), and the second 'meal' was the ghastly afternoon tea. My IFE kept failing on that ageing 744. On the return from JFK, the menu was one of the poorest I've had from JFK in month and the crew was one of the worst I have had on BA. They also chose to ignore status priority for meals ordering and take orders back to front, so despite being GGL-CCR, as I sat in 1K, neither my first nor my second breakfast preferences were available.

On QR, the mattress was slightly better than the BA F one, the food was much better, the Champagne was Comtes de Champagne which is quite a bit better and more prestigious than LGPS (and yes that was in J and the Champagne listed on the menu), the wines at least as good as the BA F ones and the port better. They also have much better orange juice, fixed me a great macchiato, much better than the BA one. Even the individual water bottles were bigger!

All in all, i'd choose those QR J flights over those BA F flights any day, and while this is not the norm to me, it is not a one off case either.

Also, with regards to your question to binman, yes, I personally find it much easier to get spa treatments with QF, EY, or AF (QR is for a fee), and in fact, their treatments are of a much higher quality too. I also do think that the CCR, whilst nice, is weaker than many other airlines F lounges (AF, GA, LH, CX, SQ, in my view QF, etc) and I have had disinterested crew (rarely) and broken IFE (multiple times) as well as dirty planes (more than occasionally).

Finally, I partly disagree on your point on price differential. Now clearly, there are ways to get BA F much cheaper than competitors through awards, GUFs, free upgrade promotions, and sale prices. However, on regular fares, they are actually perfectly aligned with the much better AF, LH, and LX fares. I'd venture the guess that (hopefully for BA at least!) more pax pay the latter price than the former.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:21 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
Originally Posted by simons1
"Word on the streets" normally = complete nonsense.
Maybe so, but not on this occasion.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:44 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by simons1
"Word on the streets" normally = complete nonsense.
Very well informed in fact.

Told by an attendee that Cruz was meant to be there but then decided not to turn up.

Seems to suggest he dislikes even his most valuable customers as much as the staff seem to dislike him!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: Some
I think AC probably has some quite serious performance issues on his plate at the moment (some of his own making), so whilst this doesn't reflect well, I don't necessarily blame him...
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by hemschmall
*snip*
Whilst you can argue that there is a two-pronged attack on BA, with premium cabins under pressure to be more premium (ME3, SQ, CX etc.), and economy cabins to be cheaper (Norwegian, Easy, Ryanair etc.), this also creates an identity crisis. This also creates factions within the company that believe that the two types of product can be separated, those that think they can't, those that think one area needs to be less premium, whilst the other needs to be more premium. This slows everything down, and potentially waters some really good ideas down too. We're getting there, but it's been a bit of a slog. As I say, I think the investment will be well received and once the results come in I hope it will set a more positive tone moving forward.
*snip*
Interesting comment hemschmall, and I have been in similar corporate environments before where a number of different, potentially incompatible strategic objectives are competing for resource for delivery. I think you have the dynamics of the premium and economy cabins spot on.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I have long been among those agreeing that while BA F is weak, it is still better than most J products. Very recently, I have had a few experiences that escape this however.
This.

Some concrete examples:

- I seldom press the call button (other than on CX, where the whole service is designed so that you have privacy until you ask for service). Pressed call button on BA F back from HKG a couple of weeks ago and waited about ten minutes for no one to show up, before getting up and going to the galley (all I wanted was to ask for a bottle of water). Crew were chatting to each other and despite being as polite as possible I didn't get a particularly friendly reception. Have never had this happen in QR J.

- Have never had a QR J where hot towels were just not handed out (other than when I've asked for a cold one, given you usually get the option of hot or cold on QR J!). Have had two BA F flights in the last couple of months where this has happened.

etc, etc.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Dec 14, 2016 at 5:18 am
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by DFB_london
Very well informed in fact.

Told by an attendee that Cruz was meant to be there but then decided not to turn up.

Seems to suggest he dislikes even his most valuable customers as much as the staff seem to dislike him!
So why wasn't he able to attend then?

I honestly doubt it was because he was afraid of a bunch of FT types.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DFB_london

I've no doubt that he would have disliked them even more if he had come as he would hopefully have been give a run for his money!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Yes, sorry, my phrasing was a bit provocative. As I have stated many times, I like BA crew, but with both respect and - dare I say, affection for them, I just do not see how they are any 'better' than the other ones that I mention. If anything, F crew on airlines such as AF and LX are cabin-specific and get a lengthy and very comprehensive training and it really shows. They are not only typically very friendly and pleasant but also remarkably competent and effective. Some BA crew are intuitively just as good, but in many ways, it is purely personal talent when it happens and many, whilst nice and efficient are just not quite as good.

Could you say which other airlines? I do not really know others who rate their BA F experience higher than, say, JL, CX, the new AF, the new GA, SQ and a few others. Personally, I rate BA F lower than competitors on virtually every front. The ground experience is worst than most and miles behind the likes of AF, GA or even, to a lesser extent, LH; the seats vary a lot, but even the best one by far, on the A380, is way behind the new AF, the new SQ, or CX, let alone EY's apartments; onboard food and drink pales in comparison to AF, SQ, LX, or even QF, let alone JL; the F mattress, duvet, and pillows are actually the worst ones I can think of any F product even the US airlines ones, and massively behind AF; pyjamas and toiletry bags are also behind most. In short, of course flying F is always nice, but by F standards I cannot really imagine against which other F product BA compares favourably.
In the last couple of years I have only flown F on BA, QR and EK and while I have found the F staff on QR and EK helpful, efficient, friendly, they did lack just a bit of personal warmth. I do have some sympathy with the view that the some of the BA lounges are getting a bit tired, and possibly I've been lucky not to have travelled in F on one of their very elderly 747s. However overall I have fonder memories of my BA F flights than those on QR and EK and that's why I made the assertion I did. Others may have had a different experience but that's mine. However maybe I need to get out more and sample some of the other F cabins mentioned.

I fly QR J a lot. It is certainly the best business class I have flown on, even when there are last minute aircraft changes and one ends up on a different aircraft to that expected. The seat/bed is comfortable, the food is generally very good (except on morning flights, when I resent having no choice other than breakfast style dishes), the wine list normally offers a claret that is the equal of the offering in many other airlines' First cabins, and bizarrely imho occasionally better than QR themselves serve in First, and there often other standout wines on the list too. The crew are very well trained, but again mostly lacking that personal warmth, that makes an encounter a personal one, rather than a training manual one. All in all, a great product, particularly when bought at sale price, but I wouldn't say it's quite up there with any of the First products I know.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
This.

Some concrete examples:

- I seldom press the call button (other than on CX, where the whole service is designed so that you have privacy until you ask for service). Pressed call button on BA F back from HKG a couple of weeks ago and waited about ten minutes for no one to show up, before getting up and going to the galley.
I used the call button for the first time on a CX F flight last month and it couldn't have been more than 5 seconds before someone was at my seat.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by xenole
I used the call button for the first time on a CX F flight last month and it couldn't have been more than 5 seconds before someone was at my seat.
Yep, is part of the service mentality on CX (and most other F).
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Yep, is part of the service mentality on CX (and most other F).
In fairness, whilst indeed staff would answer the call button especially on F on most airlines, on CX and many Asian and Middle Eastern airlines, it really is first and foremost a cultural difference. Passengers think of it as a service button on those whilst typically, on most European/North American airlines, very few passengers culturally tend to use it except in emergencies (I never do myself). Conversely, one doesn't really expect "routine patrols" by staff on CX whilst on many Western airlines you would.

Of course, it doesn't change anything to your point about service attentiveness.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
the food is generally very good (except on morning flights, when I resent having no choice other than breakfast style dishes)
Like you, I tend to dislike breakfast flights. However, to be honest, I find QR breakfasts better than BA even in F, and at least they tend to almost always include an Indian main (usually very good), which I find quite lunchy. The breakfast on my recent LHR-MIA as I mentioned earlier was really ghastly. Choices were English breakfast, tomato omelette, the driest French toast one could think of, a bacon sandwich, or a cold plate similar to the CE 'brunch' one. Not a single dish was decent. I had the full English which seemed the least bad but the scrambled eggs were the industrial carton rubbish, meats were dried/burnt and the whole plate was frankly less pleasing than your average Premier Inn cooked breakfast. The second meal was the ghastly afternoon tea - compulsory dried sandwiches, uninteresting scones, ok miniature pastries. At least, QR J offers a nicer light meals selection even on flights 4 hours shorter including salads, sandwiches, soup, etc.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
[...] typically, on most European/North American airlines, very few passengers culturally tend to use it except in emergencies (I never do myself). [...]
Whilst it might be true that we shy and retiring folks are less likely to press the button, the fact that it gets ignored 50% of the time becomes even more serious if it's only being used for emergencies, no?!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.