Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA willing to lose £40K worth of business for €18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

‘How to lose friends and alienate customers’,

I am certain this must have been the title used during oneof BA’s cost cutting meetings and something I wanted to share and also ask ifanyone else has experienced anything similar.

As a British Airways, Executive Gold member, I was under theimpression that I could pre-book my seats on any flight, and hence my surprisewhen booking flights to Spain online, it asked me for €18 to choose my seat andplace baggage in the hold. Surely, I thought this is a mistake and calledthe dedicated Gold Card help line, only to be told, as I explained thesituation to the operator, ‘I know where you are going with this’. Ah, I said, ‘you can fix this? ‘Ah’ he said, ‘no Icannot as this is now BA policy’.

So I carefully explained to the operator, myself and myfamily had spent in excess of £30,000 with BA during the past year and surelyyou could over rule this new policy and fix this so as not to lose my businessonly to hear the retort ‘policy is policy and we cannot change this’

To cut the long story short, I tweeted my concerns andalthough BA has refused to budge on this, Virgin Atlantic has offered tofast-track me to their equivalent gold status. Since then, my wife and son havebooked 2 flights with Virgin Atlantic to Hong Kong and they are looking forwardto trying out their Upper Class, having been a loyal customer to BA for thepast 7 years. I myself have also booked my next business flights to China withVirgin too, so already BA has lost in excess of £10,000 in a matter of onemonth.

Surely BA can do the maths here, £40,000 for €18, wish Icould afford to lose that business so easily ! To qute Julia Roberts in the film Pretty Woman., “Bigmistake, HUGE mistake”
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
As a Gold member, you would only have to pay if you booked a HBO fare. Otherwise, your seat and baggage are included. Seems like you booked the wrong fare - Bigmistake, HUGE mistake - that's hardly BA's fault.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Neil661

I am certain this must have been the title used during oneof BA’s cost cutting meetings and something I wanted to share and also ask ifanyone else has experienced anything similar.

As a British Airways, Executive Gold member, I was under theimpression that I could pre-book my seats on any flight, and hence my surprisewhen booking flights to Spain online, it asked me for €18 to choose my seat andplace baggage in the hold. Surely, I thought this is a mistake and calledthe dedicated Gold Card help line, only to be told, as I explained thesituation to the operator, ‘I know where you are going with this’. Ah, I said, ‘you can fix this? ‘Ah’ he said, ‘no Icannot as this is now BA policy’.

So I carefully explained to the operator, myself and myfamily had spent in excess of £30,000 with BA during the past year and surelyyou could over rule this new policy and fix this so as not to lose my businessonly to hear the retort ‘policy is policy and we cannot change this’

To cut the long story short, I tweeted my concerns andalthough BA has refused to budge on this, Virgin Atlantic has offered tofast-track me to their equivalent gold status. Since then, my wife and son havebooked 2 flights with Virgin Atlantic to Hong Kong and they are looking forwardto trying out their Upper Class, having been a loyal customer to BA for thepast 7 years. I myself have also booked my next business flights to China withVirgin too, so already BA has lost in excess of £10,000 in a matter of onemonth.

Surely BA can do the maths here, £40,000 for €18, wish Icould afford to lose that business so easily ! To qute Julia Roberts in the film Pretty Woman., “Bigmistake, HUGE mistake”
So if you've already spent 40k, whats another 18 quid? That amount isn't even a rounding error.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT.

I am surprised as a frequent BA passenger you haven't run in to the HBO/basic fares so far - although depending on travel patterns this may have been possible. They have been around for a while now (1-2 years I think). Basically you pay less but do not get any free seat selection. This is noted on ba.com when you book.

If free seat selection was available by merely invoking past spend and flights with BA many of us would have been able to circumvent the HBO fare rules. Sadly, they apply regardless of status.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Neil661

Yes it indeed is BA policy to everyone including GOLDS.
But yes move your business anyway, being Gold doesn't mean much as you can see. People are too easily bribed with lounges haha. If you can afford to fly gold, you can afford a drink or 2 at the airport restaurant!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Unless you have a particular set of routes, it isn't easy to show Virgin the same level of loyalty you've shown BA... and then the question becomes who else is more convenient, who gives you the same benefits on short haul, etc.

BA is calculating that you'll be back, and the thousands of others who'll cough up the difference between HBO and non-HBO will more than offset your temporary absence.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
You clearly booked a hand-baggage only fare (at a cheaper price), so of course you have to pay to check in a bag...you can't have it both ways: HBO fares are a nice way to save a few quid on those trips you don't need a bag for - for anything else, just pay the "regular" fare and use your huge Gold luggage allowance

As for the seating - yes it's silly (in my view) not to allow Silver/Gold their usual seating choice when on a HBO fare - though with "theoretical seating" (done by the computer) in practice you will often have the same seat anyway...combine this with the fact for a short European flight in Euro Traveller, other than the exit row (which you can live without for 1-2 hours if you have to) all seats are basically the same anyway

Long and short - you are entitled to fly another airline, of course. But on this particular point BA are right and there's no reason on a HBO fare you should especially expect any more than anyone else just for being Gold (other than First check-in, Fast Track security, First Lounge, priority boarding.....)
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
by the way, compared with e.g. flying US domestic as an elite member of a US airline programme, it's still incredible you can have lounge access and all the rest when flying short-haul economy on BA as a Silver/Gold - I mean, when me & the Mrs fly on Avios RFS fares (£35 each return) or cheap Euro Traveller tix (sub-£100 return) it's pretty generous we get to down half a bottle of champagne and food in the Flounge at all...
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:11 am

I must admit I hate these HBO fares and I try and avoid them, they close a lot of doors and they don't seem to save much.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Well, some other airlines do allow status customers to still take a bag and select a seat for free on their cheapest fares. Even some in the OneWorld alliance.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ratypus
by the way, compared with e.g. flying US domestic as an elite member of a US airline programme, it's still incredible you can have lounge access and all the rest when flying short-haul economy on BA as a Silver/Gold - I mean, when me & the Mrs fly on Avios RFS fares (£35 each return) or cheap Euro Traveller tix (sub-£100 return) it's pretty generous we get to down half a bottle of champagne and food in the Flounge at all...
This is true but I think the point is that with the sums you spend to get status including probably some fares that would provide you with lounge access anyway it's an enticing but relatively low-cost benefit to offer. While valuing lounge access on the cheapest RFS they are a very small percentage of my flights.

Most of the US carriers, while not offering lounge access, do offer frequent upgrades to their status customers which BA and other European airlines do not. Swings and roundabouts.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Well, some other airlines do allow status customers to still take a bag and select a seat for free on their cheapest fares. Even some in the OneWorld alliance.
I am sure that is true but BA HBO confuses this as well, recently I booked a LGA-DCA return via BA and the ticket stated it was HBO. However this is a AA operated route and our tickets did include checked luggage, AA luggage allowance seems complex but mrs wytco0 has no status with BA or AA and i am only Silver on the self service luggage check in machines we both had free checked luggage.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
For now but with UA introducing something similar to HBO next year....wouldnt be surprised with others following suit and things looking more like the LH and BA style cheapo fares.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Some do

BA chooses not to

Way back in march 2015.....

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ne...ge-only-fares/
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Yes OP you are not satisfied with the recent BA policies and service enhancements and you did choose to move on as so many of us have done already. Voting with your feet is what you should do if you are unhappy with BA. Complaining does not help and even the customer service centers for the most loyal customers (GGL) are in the process of being outsourced to India. That tells enough. There are plenty of carriers which will be glad to take your business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.