Cabin Crew Luggage

Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:56 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I also go for Row 1 when I can, and it drives me mad when I get on early (as I usually do) and find a crew bag there. It is (just about) the only row on the plane without a 'seat in front of you', so it needs an overhead space. And we all know what a pain it is for everyone to try swimming against the tide on arrival to get to your bag.
I commented on this some years ago. A crew member said that it was important that they could keep an eye on their bags because of the risk of theft. But surely that applies to the passengers' bags as well?
Oh, BBB, I have no gripe (or peeve) about crew bringing their bags on board!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Tim1975
If the crew don't get off, then what do they need a large bag for? genuine question. My wife is a train guard and when she works an out and back shift, she leaves her big bag at the booking-on point (or in her car) and boards with her jacket and handbag only (and ticket machine), works for 2 or 3 hours, has a short break in the staff mess room (toilet, cup of tea) and then comes back to her starting point.
This:

Originally Posted by Door1Left
The crew may also be at the start or end or during a euro tour, where they don't go home in between. The crew may not get off in say MAN, but when they get back to LHR they could be then flying off to PRG for the night. Euro tours can be 3 nights away from base, hence why larger trolley style cabin bags are often carried. They may also have been called from airport standby, which again will result in larger bags.

Regards
D1L
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
At LGW, from 25th January and the terminal move crew will no longer be able to check bags into the hold on a short haul flight, and some trips can be three days long. So the bags have to go into the cabin, and obviously on a longer trip, crew are going to have quite big cases. Even on a "there and back" it's still advisable to take a night stop kit, just in case.

What's interesting is that there are fewer and fewer approved storages for crew bags with the "densification" of aircraft. Think about the G-GATx A320s with no bulkhead. There's no wardrobe at the front, and no wardrobe at the back since earlier this year. Clearly, there is nowhere to store bags in the galleys, and the flight deck and toilet are not suitable either. That leaves the overhead lockers, and that's with all the safety equipment, spare headrest covers, skyflyers packs.... Unfortunately someone is going to be incovenienced, even though we try not to. Certainly above row 1 is in an ideal world not the place, and I personally try to store my bag around the divider (when there is one). We don't do it on purpose - promise!
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Crew can't win wherever they put their bags.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Dec 29, 2016 at 4:56 am
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not a BA problem, it is a narrow-body problem complicated by "densification" and more efficient crew scheduling pretty much worldwide.

Yes, crew do come before passengers because the aircraft sits until the aircraft is properly crewed and the crew don't board until they are properly dressed and have their luggage with them.

Thus, if the last passenger to board is delayed while he waits for the bag he thought he would carry on with him but won't now fit, that is better than 120 delayed while the aircraft sits waiting for one crew member to retrieve one case from a distant luggage office.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OnslowSW7
A pet peeve of mine, and wondering if it's just me...

Am I alone in this frustration...?
No.....it isn't just you I raised this a couple of years ago when seat capacity was increased but overhead space couldn't be. More pax, same space! Now I don't want to start a MF vs Old Fleet discussion but I notice that MF are more reluctant to move bags until they have too and even then ....

Mrs had a recent one, seated in 1A, popped the above overheard open and was quickly told she couldn't use that as it was needed for crew. She said there was no signs saying crew baggage.

Last edited by ComputerCommuter; Dec 13, 2016 at 12:27 pm
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by ComputerCommuter
She said there was no signs saying crew baggage.
Though it would be nice if BA followed their sister airline EI with a sign on the first locker, "Row 1 bags only". Might not deter crew or those from further back determined to drop their bags up front but might help a little.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Bearface
Crew can't win wherever they put their bags.
So it seems, from what has been written on this thread. I think the most valid point is that densification of seating, HBO fares and removal of stowage facilities for crew baggage has created the perfect storm where ever more people are competing for less space. I must say I've never had a problem and yesterday stowed my case above row 1, only to see when the locker was closed that it had "no stowage" written on it. No complaints from the cabin crew though about using this space just above my seat.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by IanAsiaTraveller
I must say I've never had a problem and yesterday stowed my case above row 1, only to see when the locker was closed that it had "no stowage" written on it. No complaints from the cabin crew though about using this space just above my seat.
Was it an ex-bmi aircraft? Some of those previously had IFE or emergency equipment above row 1.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:34 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
It wouldn't be so bad if BA crew would stop passengers getting up out of their seats to pick up their luggage before the plane has fully arrived at the gate. On my last three flights there has been a mass of people getting up with the plane still moving towards the gate so if your bag is further back you have no chance to swim against the tide as everybody is up before you. And no not any of those occasions did the crew tell people to sit back down.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:53 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Just for the record, evening flight yesterdayout of T5, seat 1A, crew bag in overhead. CSD was rather disparaging when I looked at it quizzically. Altogether not a pleasant interaction as she huffily made her points.
When we landed, there was a fairly mad rush of people (including two mothers with babies) getting up before we had got to the gate. It would have been impossible to get back even a couple of rows to retrieve a bag.
Feedback to BA via e-mail and Twitter.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

DUB LHR last night and the usual announcement of volunteers to check hand luggage as full flight... several people complied. Everybody else got yellow tagged where appropriate.

It was therefore a little strange to see a crew member board as a pax carrying a regulation issue handbag, two carry ons and a hat box.

Nowhere near as annoying as the pax directly in front of me who put their large bag in the overhead then their smaller bag in the space I was just about to fill with my single carry on directly above my exit row seat. (He was not in the exit row but behind).

I moved his smaller bag a couple of lockers back so it was actually opposite him and you'd think I'd murdered his first born. Apparently the explanation that it ought to be under the seat in front of him carried no weight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.