Wiki Posts
Search

First Wing at T5

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 2:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by golfmad
Good grief. How have we turned something positive into a conspiracy theory that the CCR is to be closed?
Indeed. It was always the case that the 'Millionaires Door' entrance would be closed once the First Wing became fully operational.

I asked both Alex Cruz and Troy Warfield about the CCR's future and both were very clear and unequivocal in their response - the CCR is here to stay.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I still don't understand why the First Class Lounge is called the First Class lounge when in fact it is a business class lounge and the real First Class Lounge is called the Concorde Lounge... all a bit misleading to me... but hey ho...
Old May 20, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Premier Owl
I still don't understand why the First Class Lounge is called the First Class lounge when in fact it is a business class lounge and the real First Class Lounge is called the Concorde Lounge... all a bit misleading to me... but hey ho...
It is not a business class lounge, travelling in business class will not allow you access. The First Class lounge is for passengers travelling in (or connecting from) first class on oneworld airlines and for oneworld Emerald frequent flyers. The CCR is for passengers who are flying in First on BA.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It is not a business class lounge, travelling in business class will not allow you access. The First Class lounge is for passengers travelling in (or connecting from) first class on oneworld airlines and for oneworld Emerald frequent flyers. The CCR is for passengers who are flying in First on BA.
Though, that doesn't really make it a 'first class' lounge - and obviously, the service/offer doesn't compare with real First lounges. The name Galleries First is a bit misleading...

That said, I'm happy enough when I get in there...
Old May 20, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I am not disputing who has access to lounges Tobias, but the fact remains that BA Galleries F lounge is a good business class standard lounge and the Concorde lounge is nearly equivalent to most other airlines true First Class lounge.

The one and only negative I have found about the Wing is for some reason the Galleries F lounge is now generally heaving. Whether the CCR room passengers cant be bothered to go into the CCR or whether there is another reason why, but I have certainly noticed the F lounge is filling up much quicker and on occasions, finding 'real estate' can be a challenge.

I hear through the grapevine, there may soon be some design changes to the lounges..
Old May 20, 2017, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The CCR is about the same standard (champagne aside) as 4 LHR business lounges - VS, UA, EY and QR.

However the First Wing is a genuine enhancement and brings the check in and security experience in line and even beyond Virgin at T3.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Premier Owl
... I hear through the grapevine, there may soon be some design changes to the lounges..
Yes, there are major lounge upgrades being worked on for all LHR (BA) lounges.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:15 am

The one enhancement I think would work for the First Wing is to move one member of staff from the front end to the entry point in the F lounge, just to welcome/greet and direct passengers to where they would like to go..
Old May 20, 2017, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by bafan
Though, that doesn't really make it a 'first class' lounge - and obviously, the service/offer doesn't compare with real First lounges. The name Galleries First is a bit misleading...

That said, I'm happy enough when I get in there...
Of course it's a First Class lounge, BA has designated that way for the exclusive use of first class passengers and OWE - ergo it is a First Class lounge. BA provides Business Class lounges for business class passengers and OWS. Nothing misleading about it at all.

As for the quality of the provisions, that's a subjective point and a discussion I am not getting involved in.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Of course it's a First Class lounge, BA has designated that way for the exclusive use of first class passengers and OWE - ergo it is a First Class lounge. BA provides Business Class lounges for business class passengers and OWS. Nothing misleading about it at all.

As for the quality of the provisions, that's a subjective point and a discussion I am not getting involved in.
Except, as you pointed out above, the CCR is designated for (BA) first class passengers; and the 'First' lounge is primarily for gold card holders and equivalent, who may in fact be travelling in economy or business...

But, lets agree to disagree...
Old May 20, 2017, 3:46 am

Except, as you pointed out above, the CCR is designated for (BA) first class passengers; and the 'First' lounge is primarily for gold card holders and equivalent, who may in fact be travelling in economy or business...

You make it sound like it is not a proper F class lounge but a business class one. If you were right about that, what would that make the three galleries club lounges? You seem a little hard on BA in this regard.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:56 am

Galleries First is exclusively for oneworld first class passengers and OWE. If you are not travelling on (or connecting from) a oneworld first class flight or have OWE then you will not get access - that makes it a First Class lounge.

I really don't understand your difficulty in accepting or understanding that concept.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:14 am

@Tobias - its not just about how a lounge in named - its about what's inside.

I actually prefer the Galleries First over the CCR (even when travelling First), but apart from their names, you can not put either lounge in the same category as the LH, CX or QF, First Class lounges & probably some ME lounges.

May be First in name, but like BA F class itself, it is not a First class experience. Can you imagine being in any of the "real" First class lounges and having to put up with the filthy tables you get at LHR.

I see staff are now leaving trays on trestle tables for the rubbish to pile up.

Sure its First class in name - but not in service.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
BA F passengers can go to the CCR though so that would be the comparison to any other airlines lounge for their F passengers.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Having now been thru the F Wing more than a handful of times, broadly I like. It takes away my previous choice of occasionally cutting thru North Fast Track, but the stroll Land-side on T5 departures level is nice enough (from HEX or Tube) and the wander through the F area and podiums and BP readers is pretty good.
I've noticed only one of the two scanner lanes operational my last three trips, but the tailback wasn't more than 60 secs or so.
Still can't get on with T5 F-lounge though ... the wi-fi is persistently awful, so I use the business centre terminals. And, what, its up to four advertising podiums now I think including two on the terrace. I do miss the CCR pre my evening hops short-haul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.