Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Wing at T5

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by madfish

Yes. Just keep your boarding passes from your inbound flight to show when required.

No problem at all. You will have to go to the manned desk as you enter security as the automatic gates won’t recognise you.

The landside route via F wing is IME not necessarily faster but has more walking and less queuing so I generally prefer it. (This is based on arriving on international flight and connecting to domestic with UK passport.)
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:56 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by BobServant

No problem at all. You will have to go to the manned desk as you enter security as the automatic gates won’t recognise you.

The landside route via F wing is IME not necessarily faster but has more walking and less queuing so I generally prefer it. (This is based on arriving on international flight and connecting to domestic with UK passport.)
Great, they have a very long layover so will be heading into the city and then returning to T5, that will be a nice perk to use the First Wing after the inbound flight!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:58 am

Short connection to GLA inbound F from IAD. Transit broke down and so had to do walkway. Thought id have more predictable security at First wing.
Asked standing agents at end of Club check-in. They said no, I had to go through standard Security. In fairness when I queried one of them took me through to actual podium entrance, where I was eventually allowed through with some explaining.
Reasonable queues on both sides but made it through and the long walk (run) through GF and along to A gates. Pheeeow.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:07 pm

Hi, hoping someone can advise.

First F flight with BA, (normally club though have flown F with EK) flying in on a domestic flight the day before staying at th Sofitel T5 and debating if we should get our luggage checked all the way through or pick it up in LHR so the next day we can experience the ‘whole’ First class offerings including checking in at the first wing - or is this just a waste of time and should we just go straight to the Concorde lounge having checked our luggage straight through?

opinions very welcome please and thank you!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Lady Northumberland

First F flight with BA, (normally club though have flown F with EK) flying in on a domestic flight the day before staying at th Sofitel T5 and debating if we should get our luggage checked all the way through or pick it up in LHR so the next day we can experience the ‘whole’ First class offerings including checking in at the first wing - or is this just a waste of time and should we just go straight to the Concorde lounge having checked our luggage straight through?

If I've understood you right you have two options:

1. Arrive the day before your F flight, collect your baggage, go to First Wing the following day, check it in and proceed to the CCR.
2. Arrive the day before your F flight with luggage checked through to your destination. Go to First Wing the following day and proceed to the CCR.

If you are able to check your luggage all the way through and have it stored overnight in LHR and you don't need anything from it during your layover then there is absolutely nothing to be gained from option 1. You will not miss out on anything by going for option number 2.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the question?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

whether you check your luggage through or not you should go through the first wing for security. The only addition if you had luggage to check would be to use the check in desks in the first wing too - but they are just normal check in desks so I really wouldn’t suggest you collect bags the day before merely to use them.

once through first wing security pass through the galleries first lounge, and across to the CCR.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
If I've understood you right you have two options:

1. Arrive the day before your F flight, collect your baggage, go to First Wing the following day, check it in and proceed to the CCR.
2. Arrive the day before your F flight with luggage checked through to your destination. Go to First Wing the following day and proceed to the CCR.

If you are able to check your luggage all the way through and have it stored overnight in LHR and you don't need anything from it during your layover then there is absolutely nothing to be gained from option 1. You will not miss out on anything by going for option number 2.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the question?
no you haven’t misunderstood- that’s very helpful thank you. I just didn’t think we would be able to access the first wing if we already had our boarding cards but to be fair we don’t normally stay overnight in LHR so I’m not really familiar.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA

whether you check your luggage through or not you should go through the first wing for security. The only addition if you had luggage to check would be to use the check in desks in the first wing too - but they are just normal check in desks so I really wouldn’t suggest you collect bags the day before merely to use them.

once through first wing security pass through the galleries first lounge, and across to the CCR.
that’s great thank you for clarification- we will just check the luggage through then and make sure we have everything we need in our hand luggage!

really looking forward to it!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:01 pm

no you haven’t misunderstood- that’s very helpful thank you. I just didn’t think we would be able to access the first wing if we already had our boarding cards but to be fair we don’t normally stay overnight in LHR so I’m not really familiar.
Ah ok. The First Wing is just a priority area where you can drop bags, head through security and get plonked straight into the F lounge (for the CCR take the second left, exit the F lounge and just keep going). You can just miss the drop bags bit if you check your luggage through. Have a lovely trip.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The other option you have is to check in, and get your baggage checked, inside the Sofitel itself, which is a new service. Then stroll over to the First Wing for security.

The main benefits of the First Wing are security and direct access to the lounges. The check-in process itself (including checked baggage) isn't a huge step forward since depending on the time of day even in economy you don't have to do much waiting around in Terminal 5. Any check-in desk will do.

But yes, check your bags in at (presumably) Newcastle if you don't actually need them in London.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle

that’s great thank you for clarification- we will just check the luggage through then and make sure we have everything we need in our hand luggage!

really looking forward to it!

If you have no bags to drop off, but still want to 'use' all the features of the First Wing, I would suggest going in, taking some flavoured water and a cold towel from the attendant, sitting down for a moment by the flowers and gently rearranging your carry on bag whilst you look around and enjoy the semi-seclusion and pleasant air of exclusivity.

Once ready, (perhaps after a second cup of that delightful cucumber water) saunter over to a free desk and get a hard copy of your boarding pass from one of the agents. Enjoy the same premium chit chat you would if checking in a bag. At this point you can glide over to the eligibility check before security, having seen, been seen and seen it all!

On your next visit you won't notice much difference between this and regular check-in, so you may as well appreciate it all first time..
Swanhunter and SirToby like this.

Last edited by noFODplease; Mar 7, 2019 at 4:25 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
I’ve never been allowed to check bags all the way through if I had an overnight stop at LHR. The Ncl agents say it’s not allowed
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chipster
I’ve never been allowed to check bags all the way through if I had an overnight stop at LHR. The Ncl agents say it’s not allowed
What specific itinerary are you doing and is it one ticket?

there is a large bag store under T5 precisely for this. If you are on one ticket and have less than 24 hour overnight connection the agent should offer to either check the bag through or let you collect it at LHR and recheck the next day.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:16 pm

It should be possible for connections at LHR T5 under 24 hours. I've not done it myself but there are several threads on this forum that reference it.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi,

Never had a problem being offered it at EDI for overnight LHR connections ( I have always asked for it just to be checked to LHR though so that I can access clothes the next day etc)

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.