Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Wing at T5

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2024, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The personal item (second bag) is 40 x 30 x 15 cm, and it's the 15cm which is problematic. I once made a discreet check of all the second bags in CCR one morning, and the only one I saw which was under 15cm was mine. Now as the previous poster mentioned, a bag much wider that 15 cm can neatly go under the seat in front, easyJet's equivalent is 45 x 36 x 25cm. Now that's not a direct comparison since this would be an only bag on the cheap fares, but it is intended to be the guaranteed "under the seat" size, and many of easyJet's and BA's shorthaul seats are the same manufacturer and same size. But the under the seat bag on easyJet is more than twice that of BA, in volumetric terms.

My usual take on these questions is (a) you will get away with it almost certainly, but I think you then have to stay stumm about the complaints about not finding an overhead and (b) if you really want zero challenge on sizing, then it's best your bags really do conform to BA's sizes and (c) if below group 3 then irrespective of (a) and (b) there is a chance that any large bag will be hold checked, for free, at the gate, if the flight is busy on shorthaul. Longhaul it usually all fits in, just about.
My backpack is definitely larger than 40x30x15 (I just double-checked) and I've never had any trouble stuffing it under the seat in front of me on any aircraft I've ever been on, from small regional aircraft to jumbo jets, whether long- or short-haul, domestic US or international, regardless of which cabin I was seated in. Conversely my backpack has never been questioned anywhere except at LHR T5!

As far as my carry-on bag, whenever I go to Europe I do everything I can to squeeze into the smaller one. But now for this trip I have bulky and very expensive electronics that I could bring, but only if I use the larger bag. So if I bring the larger bag, the contents will not allow it to be checked - I wouldn't feel comfortable and it would be against the airline policy. I have zero concern about being able to store it in the cabin of the 777, but I have lots of concerns about the gate agents or airport personnel deciding that it's too big, which then leaves me in a rather precarious position if I have the electronics inside.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
As far as my carry-on bag, whenever I go to Europe I do everything I can to squeeze into the smaller one. But now for this trip I have bulky and very expensive electronics that I could bring, but only if I use the larger bag. So if I bring the larger bag, the contents will not allow it to be checked - I wouldn't feel comfortable and it would be against the airline policy. I have zero concern about being able to store it in the cabin of the 777, but I have lots of concerns about the gate agents or airport personnel deciding that it's too big, which then leaves me in a rather precarious position if I have the electronics inside.
Despite your previous experience, you should be fine, it is rare that people get pinged, but by all means look at bags that are within BA's sizing, which efficient space handling and which are inexpensive. A number of us have gone the Skypak route
Amazon Amazon

The other thought is whether every bit of electronics and other travel item - are they all really necessary? What happens if you don't have it with you? Sometimes there is a professional reasons for saying "yes, it's all essential", but overall PCs, tablets, phones are getting both smaller and more powerful and more functionality rich. So I've certainly learned to manage with less. For example I rarely take my cameras travelling these days, realistically my phone takes a pretty good snap. It's a compromise, and my Olympus Trip 35 isn't that big, but it has advantages in terms of simplifying life.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The other thought is whether every bit of electronics and other travel item - are they all really necessary? What happens if you don't have it with you?
Oh it is definitely not required -- completely a "nice-to-have" type situation. Hence my dilemma.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.