Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Wing at T5

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something we had in T1 12 years ago now being presented as an amazing improvement. 👏
Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Something we had in T1 12 years ago now being presented as an amazing improvement. 👏
You used to be so much less cynical.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Although not original it will be an improvement. It should have been in place from the beginning of T5

I am glad it is happening.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:43 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Do we have a date for the Grand Wing opening?
April 2017
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The new First Wing has been accurately written up by the travel media in the thread linked. It's more than just a doorway, if you look at the area concerned, best done from the smokers' box by drop off parking, it's quite a chunk of the building. The current First check in area will "flow" through a curved channel around to some fairly spacious and open security lanes, compared to the rather boxed in South Fast Track. First Lounge entry and conformance will effectively be combined, so it's one stage less than now.
So it sounds like the new BA First class check in will be almost as good as the TK business class check in at their hub at IST?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by stimpy
So it sounds like the new BA First class check in will be almost as good as the TK business class check in at their hub at IST?
Hopefully better, since there won't be the IST passport palaver to contend with.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Hopefully better, since there won't be the IST passport palaver to contend with.
Yes, but that only takes 30 seconds. I just went through it and of course what is nice is that the lounge is just a few steps behind that security and passport check.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:12 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The new 'Wing' should have a sign above it saying 'Zone R'.

M
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The new 'Wing' should have a sign above it saying 'Zone R'.

M
Or Area 51, if there are delays in opening.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:37 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ukgooner
You used to be so much less cynical.
I've only been around here for a couple of years, but I am increasingly seeing those who I don't think I've seen criticise BA before being either cynical or openly negative about BA.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: Some
Do we know what will happen to F check in whilst the construction is ongoing - have BA said anything about opening temporary desks elsewhere or likely to just be redirected to J check in?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Do we know what will happen to F check in whilst the construction is ongoing - have BA said anything about opening temporary desks elsewhere or likely to just be redirected to J check in?
Isn't the work taking place behind the F check-in desks?

There's already a door, albeit it's for Staff Only, and I thought that was where the entrance was going to be?

M
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Mostly this is using office and storage space, so there is now a false partition along the First check-in area back wall, work started many months ago, mainly at night. You can see the scale of this from the smokers' shelter referenced above. I imagine there will be one night when the partition will come down, and maybe a day or two of slightly disrupted operations around this period, but I can't see any major outage.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Confused...

Great to see these planned improvements but still confused whether (for a real life example) Gold + Silver plus 2 kids will be able to use the new facility? Am I misreading or does the post security corridor open directly into GF?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Dambus
Great to see these planned improvements but still confused whether (for a real life example) Gold + Silver plus 2 kids will be able to use the new facility? Am I misreading or does the post security corridor open directly into GF?
It opens into Flounge directiy, and unless I've misunderstood this, only those allowed to use Flounge or CCR can use the facility. So you'll have to select your favourite offspring and send the others to South Fast track. Which may sound harsh, but it's the same as the current arrangements, minus all those Goldies currently cluttering up South Security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.