Search

LHR T3 CX F lounge or BA F lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
LHR T3 CX F lounge or BA F lounge?

Good morning all.

I and Mrs drpabs are off to NBO soon (21st Dec since you ask) from LHR T3 (in F, natch). I've heard good things about the new CX F lounge in T3 so the simple question is: which should we go to, the BA F lounge or the CX F lounge? Our flight leaves at 0855 so brekkie will be the order of the day.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:24 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
You'll find the info you need within the T3 Lounge thread. Frustratingly, I'm on mobile so cannot link properly (sorry).

Question was asked recently, and the clear response was CX.

M
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The breakfast options remain more comprehensive in the BA First lounge, but assuming you're not drinking alcohol, all other factors point you to the Cathay lounge. [OK, BA's dining room has a fantastic view on to the apron]. The main thread is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...e-reviews.html

I've put comments and photos in the first post, and there are various third party links with other photos and impressions.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 11, 2016 at 1:07 am Reason: CX forum restructured.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
This may go against the grain, but other than the food I was a little disappointed with the CX F lounge. It didn't encourage me to relax - too much light, no privacy. So for me, the BA F lounge is a better bet.

I did wonder if the CX business lounge might have been a better bet and if it would be more relaxed?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Schiehallion
This may go against the grain, but other than the food I was a little disappointed with the CX F lounge. It didn't encourage me to relax - too much light, no privacy. So for me, the BA F lounge is a better bet.
I am a bit surprised, since for an occasional visitor, my view is that the Cathay First lounge is one of the finest in the aviation world. It's not big (50 seats, a tenth of the size of CCR) and there's one main seating area, so I can see your point about privacy, but note there is a small and private sofa seating area if you go down the Pantry and turn right along the windows.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Surely the only answer to this question is both!
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am a bit surprised, since for an occasional visitor, my view is that the Cathay First lounge is one of the finest in the aviation world. It's not big (50 seats, a tenth of the size of CCR) and there's one main seating area, so I can see your point about privacy, but note there is a small and private sofa seating area if you go down the Pantry and turn right along the windows.
I agree with this entirely, but one part of your reply stood out: wow, are there really 500 seats in the CCR? That surprises me!
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
New CX lounge is superb. Forget GF imo.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I love CX and would always choose CX, but I am biased! DAN DAN noodles all the way!!!
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It's a close run thing. If you have time for one, either will be fine. If you want food with attentive table service, go to CX. If you want to get yourself a drink and sit down in a more secluded style, go to BA.

If you have time, try both.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Schiehallion
It didn't encourage me to relax - too much light, no privacy.
Funnily enough, in today's Financial Times, the nonpareil Tyler Brűlé made a very brief reference to the new lounge in his The Fast Lane column. To quote: "Sat down briefly in Cathay's new lounge (turn down the lights and music please), then trekked out to the gate".

[He then made the mistake of taking a car from HKG to town during the rush hour, rather than the Airport Express - what an amateur! - and got stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam].
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:36 pm

Having had the pleasure to try the new CX F lounge at T3, I have no idea why anyone would ever use BA GF T3 ever again.

CX completely wipes the floor with BA (again).
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I had breakfast in the new CX lounge just the other day. It was fanastic. I ordered the eggs royale and then asked if I could also have the pancakes, to which the reply was "Of course sir, you can have as much as you like!"

Both were delicious.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Funnily enough, in today's Financial Times, the nonpareil Tyler Brűlé made a very brief reference to the new lounge in his The Fast Lane column. To quote: "Sat down briefly in Cathay's new lounge (turn down the lights and music please), then trekked out to the gate".

[He then made the mistake of taking a car from HKG to town during the rush hour, rather than the Airport Express - what an amateur! - and got stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam].
A little OT but I have waited an hour for a taxi in central and then spent another 30 mins getting to the Conrad. My preferred option these days is a taxi to central.

Back on OT - try both and know better next time. For me it is CX would not darken the doors of BA F lounge.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by stevie
A little OT but I have waited an hour for a taxi in central and then spent another 30 mins getting to the Conrad. My preferred option these days is a taxi to central.

Back on OT - try both and know better next time. For me it is CX would not darken the doors of BA F lounge.
You can normally get an uber within 5-10 mins by going upstairs to the check in area if the queue for taxis looks bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.