Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] New "enhancement" only one bottle of Champagne per passenger in Club Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rumor] New "enhancement" only one bottle of Champagne per passenger in Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:24 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
The should offer the second (and further) bottles for sale.

And maybe the complimentary first bottle should be restricted to just GGL/Gold/Silver (delete as applicable) on J/C/D fares in CE. And maybe the cost of the additional bottles can be dynamic and linked to pax status and fare basis... @:-)

Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
More 'tales from galley' which doesn't enhance debate and discussion on this website.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 11:01 pm

Replacing the piccolo size individual bottles with full size bottles "a la Club World and GB Airways back in the day"(top ups on demand style)would address any consumption issues and allow everyone fair crack of a potentially half decent glass of bubbles (assuming they don't order in stuff especially selected for Club Europe and instead open up the Club World cellar for all Club passengers. I would call this an enhancement in the passengers favour.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Dec 29, 2016 at 4:58 am
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LH4116
Personally I'm in favor of this move, as clearly it's not intended to drink 8 miniature bottles of Champagne on a 2 hour flight.
??? you live in Stockholm, those two things don't add up
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Friend of mine who works at BA told me about an upcoming enhancement to the service concept in Club Europe. Starting next year the cabin crew will be instructed to only serve a maximum of one miniature bottle of Champagne per passenger in Club Europe.
If true, is the next step to pay for the Jam with Scones and bring your own filling for the 3 finger sandwiches.

I personally would consider other airline options. Recent weeks based in Amsterdam, have reminded me of the other airline options out there and some are very good
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nimrod1965
I recently flew CE to TFS and had 2 bottles of the Castelnau and was proactively offered a third (which I declined). I don't mind the stuff but I've never tasted Krug or LGPS so I know no different.
ON Lufthansa the other week I didn't even have to ask for refills, as soon as my glass go low, it was topped up.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ComputerCommuter
ON Lufthansa the other week I didn't even have to ask for refills, as soon as my glass go low, it was topped up.
Lufthansa does not even serve champagne in business class on shorthaul. Although I wish BA were servicing nicer (and cheaper) sparkling wine than the champagne that it is on offer now.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
??? you live in Stockholm, those two things don't add up
Doesn't add up how an unemployed teen knows so much about champagne either, but there we go...
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Oh dear! Let's not let the facts get in the way.

BA are currently serving Castlenau in CE. Previously it was Monopole then Pommery then back to Monopole. There was a very brief period of German sparkling wine during a change in catering contractor. GB also used to serve Piper Heidsieck red label poured from full bottles.

At each change point the current wine was viewed as vile battery acid and its replacement as great. Which means that Monopole was both slated and praised at different times.

In reality some critics clearly haven't actually tasted the product and others just go with whatever is fashionable on here.

BA on the other hand seem to pick middle of the road Champagne from reasonably sized houses. They don't pay a premium for name but nor do they serve the fizzy water which passes for many supermarkets £10 Champagnes.

I personally don't find the Castlenau too bad, but preferred the Pommery. I would put those two and the Monopole ahead of any cava or prosecco simply because I enjoy the méthode champenoise (with or without malactic fermentation) to other methods of sparkling wine making.

That of course means I like my local English sparkling wines. Maybe one day BA should serve one of those.
At last someone who knows what they are talking about in this thread. This is indeed the history of the champagnes BA has served in CE over recent years. I too liked the Pommery. Compared with the Monopole, I find the Castelnau has a stronger flavour but to me it tastes good at altitude, particularly with the quite highly seasoned foods that airlines insist on serving.

I hope this is nothing but a silly rumour as I enjoy a bottle or two of champagne on the flight when I have paid a premium to fly CE.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:16 pm

Friend of mine who works at BA told me about an upcoming enhancement to the service concept in Club Europe. Starting next year the cabin crew will be instructed to only serve a maximum of one miniature bottle of Champagne per passenger in Club Europe.

Obviously this is a cost cutting measurement, which primarily grounds itself in the fact that management aren't too happy with some cabin crew members being a bit liberal on the Champagne consumption onboard. Additionally there is a crackdown on crew members giving out bottles for passengers to bring off the flight.

Personally I'm in favor of this move, as clearly it's not intended to drink 8 miniature bottles of Champagne on a 2 hour flight. While I find one bottle to be enough, I would be pretty sad to see the Champagne go away completely.

It's only a rumor at this point, and while it hasn't been decided whether it'll be implemented or not, the fact that it has been considered is indeed a tell tale sign that we should expect changes to the CE service concept in the near future.
I heard from a source in BA that since both Cpt and FO of the "Miracle on the Hudson" flight had 'staches, BA will force all its flight deck crews to grow big handlebars and horseshoe moustaches.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Lufthansa does not even serve champagne in business class on shorthaul.
Lufthansa serves Sekt or Italian Trento DOC sparkling wine, from the full bottle on the trolley, but not champagne on European routes.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Don't be silly UK is a HUGE importer of champagne. France can't live without UK buying so much from them, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of French in the UK.
In light of global warming (facilitating domestic production of champagne-style sparkling wines) and Brexit (tariffs on imported champagne, and departure of significant numbers of non-British nationals), the UK may be able to strive for sparkling wine self-sufficiency!
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AJLondon
The should offer the second (and further) bottles for sale.

And maybe the cost of the additional bottles can be dynamic and linked to pax status and fare basis... @:-)

And also day of the week - there should be a premium on Friday night, particularly for Band 3/4.

Purely tongue in cheek, of course; I rarely have more than one drink on a SH flight, but on the 1-2 occasions per annum I do, I don't want any sorts of limits imposed so long as the total consumption is responsible.

Last edited by chalf; Dec 13, 2016 at 3:45 pm
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:42 pm

I have about 8 mini bottles of champagne from a flight my wife & I took about 4 years ago to Nice in CE.

We mentioned that to the air stewardess it was our anniversary - the next minute she started to give us bottles of champagne - didn't have the heart to tell her I cann't stand the stuff!!

Still seating in the cupboard 4 years later!

Mark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.