Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Rumor] New "enhancement" only one bottle of Champagne per passenger in Club Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rumor] New "enhancement" only one bottle of Champagne per passenger in Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:36 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Presumably you'll be able to BUY another bottle if you so wish?

M
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Rowdy flight? Mmmmm. GB airways to Palma.... morning flight.... All airline staff on a golf jolly, having a very good time....
champers in CE ? Well I rarely bother but don't think it should be restricted to 1 bottle!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by rowpott
Just returned on a BA codeshare with Iberia Express from LPA. A 4hr flight. NO CHAMPERS NO CAVA. Awful food, seats fixed. The future of BA club I fear.
The worst Europe club I have ever experienced
Iberia Express food is the same as IB mainline, and typically better than BA CE (despite BA's clear improvement of CE lunch/dinnertime food in the last two years in my view).
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Originally Posted by Mr 1A
It is so vile I can't imagine why anyone would want even one
Absolutely, The last couple of times I've drank the stuff they serve I had indigestion and heartburn for 2 full days, so I don't bother now. Probably part of BA's plan!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:13 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Many airlines do indeed serve sparkling wine (you can add quite a few to the two you mention!).

The Champagne AF serve in long haul Y is actually good, and much better in my view that the sparkling wines that I have had in both Y and J on NZ. You can think I am snobbish but quite frankly, it has nothing to do with that: the sparkling wines served by NZ are not nearly dry enough to my taste, and the bubbles are quite aggressive, it really tastes and feels entirely different from Champagne. I am sure many people might prefer it but I personally like it much less, either way it is simply completely different.
I think AF is looking more and more appealing now!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:28 am

Champagne as an aperitif is a Frence thing. Only Brits slug it back like brown ale at all times.

Now we've left Europe we won't have to drink it at all. What with the special trade agreements we will be able to make, BA will be serving pulque in all classes.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Champagne as an aperitif is a Frence thing. Only Brits slug it back like brown ale at all times.

Now we've left Europe we won't have to drink it at all. What with the special trade agreements we will be able to make, BA will be serving pulque in all classes.
Don't be silly UK is a HUGE importer of champagne. France can't live without UK buying so much from them, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of French in the UK.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
If this is true this is indeed really bad. But then, people will just drink several bottle of wine or several G&T. What's the point?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I think AF is looking more and more appealing now!
Don't worry, there is plenty wrong with AF too! I'd rather they had got rid of Champagne than implemented 10 across in Y on the 777 (mind you, BA is now joining them!)
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Dec 30, 2016 at 8:16 am
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OttoMH
The thought of two bottles gives me heartburn
Yeah, how anyone could finish the first bottle is beyond me. I assume we're talking about the Monopole? Nasty stuff.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by Purim
Its either available or it is not. What the punter decides to do with it and in what quantity, is a matter for the punter.
Spot on IMO. If someone is going to extremes or got to the point where they've clearly had enough then the crew needs to deal with them in the appropriate manner. Having said that I've never seen anyone getting drunk and disorderly on a CE flight. Also, in my limited experience, loading just one bottle per passenger would mean just 2 or 3 mini bottles left after the first drinks run.

Flying CE to both HEL and NCE my wife and myself have got through 3-4 minis each at a very leisurely pace. No one was guzzling it, no one was drunk, no one was demanding more. Crew were great and more than happy to serve us another bottle each when asked politely. Given the premium paid for CE, the uninspiring meals, and lack of extra leg room I can see A LOT of angst if this does come to fruition.

One last point, if this does get implemented or become a "trial", is it a case of BA using the same tactics in the run up to BoB? Make the offering so poor that they start to get feedback that if passengers could get more of it and better quality they'd be willing to pay? Then "hey presto", BoB champagne for CE.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yeah, how anyone could finish the first bottle is beyond me. I assume we're talking about the Monopole? Nasty stuff.
Oh dear! Let's not let the facts get in the way.

BA are currently serving Castlenau in CE. Previously it was Monopole then Pommery then back to Monopole. There was a very brief period of German sparkling wine during a change in catering contractor. GB also used to serve Piper Heidsieck red label poured from full bottles.

At each change point the current wine was viewed as vile battery acid and its replacement as great. Which means that Monopole was both slated and praised at different times.

In reality some critics clearly haven't actually tasted the product and others just go with whatever is fashionable on here.

BA on the other hand seem to pick middle of the road Champagne from reasonably sized houses. They don't pay a premium for name but nor do they serve the fizzy water which passes for many supermarkets £10 Champagnes.

I personally don't find the Castlenau too bad, but preferred the Pommery. I would put those two and the Monopole ahead of any cava or prosecco simply because I enjoy the méthode champenoise (with or without malactic fermentation) to other methods of sparkling wine making.

That of course means I like my local English sparkling wines. Maybe one day BA should serve one of those.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
I love good champagne (Krug etc) but if it's bad I would rather have a good vintage Cava or a prosecco than a bad champagne. I agree with those that find it not much better than Monopoo. I doubt many people would complain if they swapped Castle No for something decent but fizzy if it meant not appearing stingy by restricting what you can drink. English sparkling would be great but often more expensive than champagne with the small production.

I am sure cava is made in the exactly the same method as champagne just with different grapes and not aged as long.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
It tastes like petrol anyway but I agree with the principle, if someone has paid that amount of money for CE they should be able to enjoy a bit of "luxury" in their beverages

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.