Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA tier points and avios earned on redemption flights - mistake?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

I recently booked two long haul return redemption flights in Club World with the Amex companion voucher. Before flying I upgraded the outbound flight to First with additional avios. A couple of days after the flight I see that the BA Executive Club website and my iPhone are saying that I have earned both avios and 240 tier points for the outbound flight.
My understanding was that you could not earn tier points or avios on redemption/reward flights. Is this a mistake and will I lose the points?

Last edited by Nrsm; Dec 2, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:24 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nrsm
Is this a mistake and will I lose the points?
Yes. You won't lose the points, since you will never gain them in the first place

It's just another bug on BA's IT systems.

Welcome to FT.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I recently booked two long haul return redemption flights in Club World (from London to Tokyo) with the Amex companion voucher. Before flying I upgraded the outbound flight to First with additional avios. A couple of days after the flight I see that the BA Executive Club website and my iPhone are saying that I have earned both avios and 240 tier points for the outbound flight.
My understanding was that you could not earn tier points or avios on redemption/reward flights. Is this a mistake and will I lose the points?
Yes, mistakes do happen occasionally.

It is unlikely that BAEC will catch their error and claw back the avios and TPs unless you contact them to point out their error.

I believe that gms is referring to the situation where manage my booking incorrectly states that you will earn avios and TPs for a future reward flight. From your post, I understand you to be saying that you have taken this flight and the avios and TPs have posted to your account.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Nrsm, welcome to the BA forum. I hope you have a great trip to Japan, I also hope that we see plenty more of you here. Welcome on board.

Yes, I'm afraid this is a longstanding glitch. Unless there's a snafu along the way, you will not get TPs or Avios for a booking that is fundamentally a redemption. However Manage My Booking may give the wrong impression. It seems to me to very easy to fix, so I've no idea why it's been like this for pretty much as long as I can remember. I would assume, at least at this stage, that you won't get these TPs or Avios.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
It happens. Seems to be on complex reward bookings made (or changed) on the phone, presumably because the agent makes a mistake when they enter it in the system or has to do some sort of manual override (maybe related to the 2 for 1). BA won't notice if you don't tell them.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for your replies. As Jerry A. Laska says, it's not that the points are showing in manage my booking. I have already taken the flight and they seem to have been posted to my account on Executive Club. It will be great if I get to keep them but I won't get my hopes up!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
It does happen from time to time, as others have said usually if there is a modification of some sort to the booking.
Years ago reward segments on SWISS would credit to Diamond Club as revenue bookings. Although I never benefited from this myself.
I've once been rerouted on an award booking with EI and earned full points (in their Gold Circle Programme, at the time). Quite a nice slug of points for a transatlantic sector in Business!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
I have already taken the flight and they seem to have been posted to my account on Executive Club.
Maybe a little bit of BMI does live on in BA after all.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Many moons ago I used bmi miles for a TK redemption in F and the a/c got changed on the return so I was bumped down to business, in a revenue class which effectively gave me back most of the miles I had spent in the first place! ^
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I earned BA Avios and tier points on two separate redemptions on LAN Peru (short internal flights) in September. Very unexpected. They were booked online through the BA website and no changes were made to the bookings as far as i'm aware.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
It does happen from time to time, as others have said usually if there is a modification of some sort to the booking.
Years ago reward segments on SWISS would credit to Diamond Club as revenue bookings. Although I never benefited from this myself.
I've once been rerouted on an award booking with EI and earned full points (in their Gold Circle Programme, at the time). Quite a nice slug of points for a transatlantic sector in Business!
Bear in mind bmi's own metal redemptions booked into I class which was also a business revenue class. Used to confuse the computer no end, especially when there was a x4 status miles on business classes promotion on!!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:27 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
My experience has been that if I call BA by phone to either use the 2-4-1 (or to upgrade using Avios or a GUF voucher), that I am always given the TPs for the cabin I'm sat in.

A similar question was asked a while back, and I believe the answer was related to the 'manual input of the upgrade' opposed to an 'automated upgrade, which is done online by the passenger directly'.

Obviously this is contrary to how things should be, but gone are the days where I raise it with BA!

M
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Looks like it worked for me too

Just had almost 3k avios post from award travel on latam from mco to lim. An already sweet spot just got sweeter! So it came out to just under 10k each way. PS - no upgrades, no changes (not even a schedule change), no extra money paid (except for that annoying departure tax, paid at time of ticketing).

Last edited by UsernameChuck; Aug 20, 2017 at 3:05 pm
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:11 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
In around 2009, there was a phase where at least 3 of my AA ticketed BA F Redemptions from LHR-MCT and return credited as full F to my AA account. Family had the same occur. It was just 80,000 AA miles return those days and then the earn was around 12,000 miles
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:19 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
[deleted]

Last edited by IMH; Mar 19, 2018 at 10:08 am Reason: removed remaining content

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.