Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dine in Lounge to maximize sleep onboard?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Dine in Lounge to maximize sleep onboard?

Can anyone provide more information on the below? our flight, as of now, is one where this is an option (the dine in the lounge to maximize sleep). Our flight doesn't leave until 21.30. EWR to LHR, Is the meal whatever is being offered in the Galleries Lounge or something different?

Thank you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our Galleries lounge

When you enter our Galleries lounge you are greeted with calm and tranquil surroundings, featuring Osborne and Little exclusively designed fabric, fine wines or ask for a nicely chilled glass of champagne. Your quiet time before your flight will be time well spent.

Light meals or snacks are especially prepared for you, with some flights offering the opportunity to dine in the lounge, maximising your sleep on board. Our Sleeper service is also available on selected flights.

The exclusive work and entertainment zone is a perfect place to catch up on last minute emails, or at London Heathrow you can watch live sport or selected entertainment in our 20 seat cinema.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:11 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
If you are referring to a sleeper service for overnight flights from the east coast US/Canada, the main meal will be offered in the lounge. Depending on the flight there will also be a light meal available on board, but it will not be very substantial and most people will prefer to eat in the lounge beforehand.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Both EWR-LHR are sleeper service flights in CW, as far as I know.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Thank you and is there anything I need to do before arriving at the airport such as note this somehow or request it?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Ziz
If you are referring to a sleeper service for overnight flights from the east coast US/Canada, the main meal will be offered in the lounge. Depending on the flight there will also be a light meal available on board, but it will not be very substantial and most people will prefer to eat in the lounge beforehand.
Has this changed recently? I've always had a full meal available on board but with the lights dimmed and with less service. Also see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...service-5.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-out-ewr.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ights-out.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...r-service.html

Thank you and is there anything I need to do before arriving at the airport such as note this somehow or request it?
No.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Full meal on a recent JFK-LHR Jumbo UD with lights on, albeit starter and cheese plate on the tray and no chocolates
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Has this changed recently? I've always had a full meal available on board but with the lights dimmed and with less service. Also see:
No, it hasn't changed. I haven't got a recent EWR-LHR photo, but these are from a Sleeper service BOS-LHR from a few weeks back, the main course being roast chicken and gravy. EWR-LHR would be something similar, with another 2 alternatives, plus an express single tray salad option.

Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
your bread rolls are self multiplying !
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, KF Gold/PPS
Just flew this exact service, had dinner in the lounge and I don't think anyone had a dinner service onboard the aircraft in J. Just note was a 789 on this flight!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:59 am

That tart looks yummy
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
I've said before. Eat in town....
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
That tart looks yummy
I would be quite happy with the whole meal.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by madfish
I would be quite happy with the whole meal.
Yes, although I may substitute the water
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
The lounge buffet is awful, in my opinion. I'd eat before the flight, or else on board - full meal available, tho with fewer choices, but a quicker service.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
sleeper service

For what its worth, here's my impression of sleeper service.
I find the sleeper service is a good concept and usually works very well.
I fly quite a lot of east coast USA flights and have flown sleeper service from several destinations.
Crew generally are on the ball and proactive in getting drinks orders pre-takeoff and delivering the service according to the particular passenger's desires and
that's great.
My big beef about it is that at some airports the pre-flight dining buffet is awful.
In particular, at Washington Dulles airport. The new lounge there is not that pleasant in my opinion (its a corridor) and the quality of service , food and beverage is poor. I've travelled though JFK and ORD and had a much better experience. I find I do want to eat on-board from IAD, not so much when I've had nice supper at other airports.
One of the best things about sleeper service is that you can miss the on-board breakfast , which at its best is not great, and sleep until 30 mins before landing, then get breakfast in the arrivals lounge at LHR.

Sleep well night flyers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.