Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlife Connect (Inflight Wi-Fi)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
A backup power bank works wonders for hand held devices though doesnt help the lap top crowd
Agree, but it's pretty simple. People will be more likely to use (and pay for) the wifi if their device is charged.

It's another case of penny-wise and pound-foolish.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
I don't Know anyone who travels long haul and doesn't now take a power bank or a spare battery for their devices.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:05 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by SonTech
I don't Know anyone who travels long haul and doesn't now take a power bank or a spare battery for their devices.
You do now. Pleased to meet you.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Apart from a power bank, the battery life of some devices is quite long these days. My iPad will do web browsing or document and book reading for 8-10 hours, some phones last several hours of web browsing or lightweight app usage, even my laptop runs for over 3 hours doing lightweight tasks (acting as a data terminal to the Internet). While I do carry a small power bank, I don't use it very much on aircraft; it's mostly there as a backup for when some app goes amok and drains my phone battery.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC
This was trialled on an aircraft I was on recently. It was quite impressive and allowed me to watch YouTube, although I don't know how many people were connected. I can't remember the cost breakdown but I think it was around 29 usd for the entire flight.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Just a question, I was on G-CIVV on 6th April - no sign of WiFi mentioned on IFE.
If this aircraft has been fitted with the hardware I would have thought BA would have been keen to make passengers aware of it - after all not everybody is an FTer....
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC
I was approached and given a code. I had spotted the network before that and saw the price plan, I can't remember the details but It wasn't a bargain.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by My_head_is_spinning
I was approached and given a code. I had spotted the network before that and saw the price plan, I can't remember the details but It wasn't a bargain.
I was on the morning flight from JFK - maybe the crew thought we were not awake enough to cope with WiFi - or maybe I wasn't !
Hopefully someone will share a price plan if they come across it - or perhaps they are trialling it with a few 'hand selected' passengers.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by My_head_is_spinning
I can't remember the cost breakdown but I think it was around 29 usd for the entire flight.

That price will at least keep the contention manageable.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:38 am

I was on a morning flight back from JFK away back in July 2015 and they were trialing wifi on it. Can't remember which 747 it was. The connection was via a T-Mobile service based in Germany and the cost was £10 for 24 hours access.

Going over the Atlantic it was terrible. Barely enough to browse social media or get emails. It did help pass some time and allow a bit of work to be done... slowly.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:45 pm

So at this point, is G-CIVV the only 747 equipped with this?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
IIRC, wifi be gradually introduced from September.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I understand the A380, 787 and Super-Hi J 744s already have the system installed, it just needs to be switched on, possibly the 77Ws too. So a relatively high proportion of the fleet should be good to go on day one.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:18 am

The satellite for this (the provider to which BA have signed up for) has or is about to be launched
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
my guess is my flight tmw on the a380 lax-lhr wont have it as well ? lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.