Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cheap and Cheerful and Cheap and Miserable vs. Refined and Professional

Cheap and Cheerful and Cheap and Miserable vs. Refined and Professional

Old Dec 1, 16, 3:49 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Then I go and fly LCY -JFK and come away delighted. This is a LGW crew who when they first moved into Long Haul came in for quite a bit of stick. They've got their act more than together as I don't hear too many complaints about them.

I honestly feel sorry for MF as they've been sold a pup and I'm embarrassed that You the most frequent fliers are suffering as a result.
Old Dec 1, 16, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Krisflyer Gold
I've enjoyed my MF flights in F and CW. Yes, the crew are often comically out of their depth - particularly with discussions about the wines on offer when it is often very difficult to keep a straight face. But they have always interacted with me in an enthusiastic, proactive and informal manner. I generally find the service rather endearing and the banter levels have been good, by and large.

What I do find particularly amusing is the inappropriateness that can sometimes be on show - especially with regards to recounting stories of the antics that go on down-route. I had anticipated that there might be something of a party atmosphere, I was not quite expecting to hear breathtaking tales of 'last days of Rome' style debauchery!
Old Dec 1, 16, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
This is all so sad. I feel sorry for a lot of the MF crew. BA have no long term investment in them and given some of the scheduling it's no wonder the less professional amongst them say stuff it and just go through the motions (or in this case don't even bother doing that). I haven't flown longhaul with MF since the spring and my experiences have been an, ahem, mixed bag. But I have been reminded recently just how much a good crew (pace the other thread) make the difference on a BA flight. I came out to Canada last week in F with an excellent crew - attentive, friendly, cheerful - and this mirrors precisely a recent F trip to NYC where again the crew into EWR and out of JFK were really ambassadors for BA in the best sense. As I say, it's all such a shame

I would like to think PG is correct and this is cyclical: at some point rock bottom will be hit and then improvements will have to take place. But who'll be left to see them?
Old Dec 1, 16, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy View Post

.................................................. ...

I had anticipated that there might be something of a party atmosphere, I was not quite expecting to hear breathtaking tales of 'last days of Rome' style debauchery!

My PM inbox is open for business (feel free !) and my breath is ready to be taken ....
Old Dec 1, 16, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy View Post
What I do find particularly amusing is the inappropriateness that can sometimes be on show - especially with regards to recounting stories of the antics that go on down-route. I had anticipated that there might be something of a party atmosphere, I was not quite expecting to hear breathtaking tales of 'last days of Rome' style debauchery!
Clearly, I need to spend more time talking to MF crew. If only I'd known; that tech delay at LHR a few weeks back would have been perfect!
Old Dec 1, 16, 4:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by BA235 View Post

I would like to think PG is correct and this is cyclical: at some point rock bottom will be hit and then improvements will have to take place. But who'll be left to see them?
But would any such improvements merely serve to restore the previous position ? In which case .....not actually an improvement at all.
Old Dec 1, 16, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm not a a particularly frequent flyer, maybe 4-5 TATL a year in J. My most recent trip was LHR-MIA-LHR , outbound with BA on 747 UD , return with AA on the 77W.

I've never really known how to determine the difference in fleet (is it sligt uniform differences??) , but having read this thread I have to assume i had MF on my LHR-MIA outbound on UD. I was slightly taken a back by the age of the crew when I took my seat, very very young, and wondered to myself how much experience they could have at such an age. My question was soon answered and echoes many points already made by OP.

- shaky/nervousness when serving drinks and food. Was asked by the guy sitting next to me what a particular dish on the menu was and didn't have a clue.
- taking forever to serve the (cremated and inedible) food
- taking even longer to come around and clear away the trays
- after it became very clear we weren't going to be offered a refill of our drinks I went to the galley and asked for another champagne, which they said they would bring to my seat. 10mins later a glass appeared which I took a quick sip from before realising it was wine.

The flight back home with AA on the 77W was the polar opposite. A really fantastic J product, head and shoulders above Club. The crew were superb. Friendly, attentive, helpful, proactive. Nothing was too much trouble, from offering extra food as I didn't like one dish, to offering samples of drinks to try (and refilling them on a regular basis), making recommendations for the in flight entertainment....

My lost 4-5 trips a year won't register with BA, and it's a shame as I always used to really enjoy my BA flights, but when comparing the two choices available to me now, it doesn't even need thinking about.
Old Dec 1, 16, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by RedDevil83 View Post
I'm not a a particularly frequent flyer, maybe 4-5 TATL a year in J. My most recent trip was LHR-MIA-LHR , outbound with BA on 747 UD , return with AA on the 77W.

I've never really known how to determine the difference in fleet (is it sligt uniform differences??) , but having read this thread I have to assume i had MF on my LHR-MIA outbound on UD. I was slightly taken a back by the age of the crew when I took my seat, very very young, and wondered to myself how much experience they could have at such an age. My question was soon answered and echoes many points already made by OP.

- shaky/nervousness when serving drinks and food. Was asked by the guy sitting next to me what a particular dish on the menu was and didn't have a clue.
- taking forever to serve the (cremated and inedible) food
- taking even longer to come around and clear away the trays
- after it became very clear we weren't going to be offered a refill of our drinks I went to the galley and asked for another champagne, which they said they would bring to my seat. 10mins later a glass appeared which I took a quick sip from before realising it was wine.

The flight back home with AA on the 77W was the polar opposite. A really fantastic J product, head and shoulders above Club. The crew were superb. Friendly, attentive, helpful, proactive. Nothing was too much trouble, from offering extra food as I didn't like one dish, to offering samples of drinks to try (and refilling them on a regular basis), making recommendations for the in flight entertainment....

My lost 4-5 trips a year won't register with BA, and it's a shame as I always used to really enjoy my BA flights, but when comparing the two choices available to me now, it doesn't even need thinking about.
This is pretty much me as well. We've stayed loyal to BA, but then we flew AA in July and were shocked at the difference. Much better hard product, and a really solicitous crew (not the surly, angry FAs you tend to associate with AA). Food is not as ambitious, but it's well executed, so on balance, I think that's better. Wine in J has been declining steadily on BA, and the crew seem so flummoxed by the various choices I'd just about given up on drinking on the flights. We've got one more RT left on BA, and the rest of our flights are being booked on other carriers.
Old Dec 2, 16, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold CCR / GGL 8 months till Lifetime Gold
in F and most certainly CW, we have too noticed a difference in the crew. They seem less excited to be working, less willing to do what they used (or unable - i.e.. maybe restricted in the freedom they are given).

This is not to say they are not very good most times, its just before they were excellent most of the time. It is so noticeable CW on the lower deck re the enthusiasm.

However CE hasn't changed - its still great service all the time.

It may just be a limited number but I feel things have changed and I have loyalty to BA not for flying, but as I worked for them many years ago, and they were a great employer then - I can assure you.

AA really has upped their game in the last few years and their crews are great - both domestic and intl. It could be that I have an English accent or they are not used to someone who smiles a lot when flying!
Old Dec 2, 16, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo View Post

AA really has upped their game in the last few years and their crews are great - both domestic and intl. It could be that I have an English accent or they are not used to someone who smiles a lot when flying!
Exactly our experiences with AA over the last couple of years (18 sectors, TATL J or Domestic F).

And who ever saw a BA TATL crew going around the J cabin and shaking hands with all the pax and saying 'goodbye' before arrival?
Old Dec 2, 16, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo View Post
However CE hasn't changed - its still great service all the time.
I have had my share of faulty-toweresque M/F CE service on shorthaul, such as not getting a meal until until half an hour before landing on a two-hour band 3 flight with a CE cabin of only four rows and a request for a drink (with only one drink having been served in the whole 1H40 mins before) at 20 mins to landing resulting in a sheepish return and apology at 10 mins to landing to say that "Sorry there is not enough time."