Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cheap and Cheerful and Cheap and Miserable vs. Refined and Professional

Cheap and Cheerful and Cheap and Miserable vs. Refined and Professional

Old Dec 1, 16, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, SAS Silver
I recently did LHR - BOS - LHR in F. The crew were both chatty and attentive on both flights. But I don't fly as much as some of you. What do you reckon should be done to get BA back on track in this age of cost cuts and 'enhancements'?
Old Dec 1, 16, 5:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
What sad reading this thread makes, and how predictable it all was. This has not happened to me, but there are names here that I know are balanced and fair , and that is what makes this thread so depressing.

I quite understand how vexed everyone is. Oddly enough it sounds so like AA a few years back. Look at it now. An example To BA. Hopefully it will filter through that this level of service and behaviour is not acceptable. Until then, it may be grim.
Old Dec 1, 16, 6:10 am

It is sad, and believe me I know about the consistent inconsistency - I average 6 BA flights per week being London based.

I don't expect much or ask for much. I travel for business, so I need a good nights sleep (incidentally slept like a baby on this flight!) and flight times that suit my schedule. If i dont have time to eat before, I'll eat on the flight, which exposes me to the service every now and again. I've put up with a lot but even my patience has its limits.

I'm not even fussed when I don't get service with a smile, but if I get some sort of service, I'm happy. I'm away from MF for a while, but I'll be back in a few weeks - I doubt I'll see much difference.
Old Dec 1, 16, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC, Marriott, Fans of MO
Petrus, I understand exactly what you mean. The few longhaul MF flights I have taken in F have been very poor. The lack of experience was just woeful for First Class, and BA management should be ashamed.
Old Dec 1, 16, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I'm going to concur, I'm afraid. Had a MF crew to and from Chicago last month in J. While the outbound two on the UD were quite good, the return was something else. On both legs the food was absolutely cremated and inedible. The call bell was just a light that went on and made a noise to them.
Old Dec 1, 16, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
All very sad to hear but the answer is simple, put the experienced crew and new enthusiastic crew together.
We all know that this isn't not going to happen so meanwhile the customers suffer as does our reputation.
Old Dec 1, 16, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond
I think the inconsistency is the most frustrating thing about BA. If it was always terrible then you wouldn't get your hopes up only to be be dashed. The second most frustrating thing is how unhappy BA staff (air and ground) always seem to be. Morale appears to be rock bottom and it takes a lot to get a smile these days. (I've given up the Concorde Room and go self service now to avoid the Dementors) Separately a friends daughter recently joined BA as CC - and three months later has left because her colleagues were so unfriendly and stressed. IMO this is all one BIG leadership issue. BA staff are only unhappy and inconsistent because they're mismanaged and shown little respect.
Old Dec 1, 16, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by WardourWill View Post
BA staff are only unhappy and inconsistent because they're mismanaged and shown little respect.
Hallelujah WardourWill.
Old Dec 1, 16, 8:53 am

Programs: GGL
In my opinion what is most worrying for BA, and obviously travelers, is the number of high mileage/premium customers on here who are just not happy. Petrus is a very good example. Many of those complaining have previously been strong advocates for the company.
Old Dec 1, 16, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by cjb666 View Post
In my opinion what is most worrying for BA, and obviously travelers, is the number of high mileage/premium customers on here who are just not happy. Petrus is a very good example. Many of those complaining have previously been strong advocates for the company.
And that may go for occasional leisure flyers too. We may individually be worth much less to BA (except perhaps for some TP runners who are probably unprofitable) but on any given flight we may make up a large proportion of the load. With less context and exposure we may be far more likely to abandon BA after our annual trip in F or J is spoilt. Very sad what appears to be happening with crew morale and lack of respect and training.
Old Dec 1, 16, 9:01 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
The post of the here well respected OP adds to the credibility of the numerous reported bad experiences. On a recent flight from CPT in F, the MF crew member in charge of the left side of F asked me if I wanted wine. I asked for a Meursault and he replied : " Don't tell me which one you want, just white or red, I don't know anything about wines". I was served a white wine (not a Burgundy) and it was never topped up. I then concluded that it was hopeless and that I had to look out for another carrier. I still have one already booked LH flight with BA in F and then it will be bye-bye. There are so many other carriers providing excellent F service.
Old Dec 1, 16, 9:13 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
And that may go for occasional leisure flyers too. We may individually be worth much less to BA (except perhaps for some TP runners who are probably unprofitable) but on any given flight we may make up a large proportion of the load. With less context and exposure we may be far more likely to abandon BA after our annual trip in F or J is spoilt. Very sad what appears to be happening with crew morale and lack of respect and training.
I wasn't trying to dismiss the value of the occasional leisure traveler. It just really hits home when people who have previously been labelled as "BA Fan boys" (not my words) giving up. There are fewer and fewer people jumping to the company's defence.
Old Dec 1, 16, 9:22 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Agree 100% with Petrus' OP.

Exact similar experience here with Miserable Fleet in transatlantic First last week. Just so so poor.
Old Dec 1, 16, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by cjb666 View Post
I wasn't trying to dismiss the value of the occasional leisure traveler. It just really hits home when people who have previously been labelled as "BA Fan boys" (not my words) giving up. There are fewer and fewer people jumping to the company's defence.
I didnt think you were, just expanding on your valid post
Old Dec 1, 16, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
All very depressing and, even more sadly, unsurprising. I'm sure we all have a sense of how/where BA is going, and even fairly frequent l/h leisure pax have seen the writing on the wall.

We're doing LGW-CPT in J on Monday - at least that won't be MF. And, apart from JER-UK connections, that looks like being our last BA l/h for a while [unless there's a fantastic sale, or we're burning a 2-4-1].

Search this Thread