Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can't Upgrade AARP Club World ticket to First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't Upgrade AARP Club World ticket to First?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Former BA Executive Club representative Nicci has stated in the past that you cannot UuA a ticket that has been subject to a discount already, whether it be the old shareholder discount, aarp, or chase. That said a few people have reportedly been able to do it, others have not. See these threads and posts (there are others):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26925507-post444.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...iscount-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-fee-uua.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23583066-post51.html

There was a period of time that the agents would simultaneously claw back the discount in order to process the UuA.
That's correct. Many people have managed to get their upgrades over the years anyway but Nicci was very clear that it should not be allowable, so unfortunately the more negative agents are correct (and if anything,GGL line would increase the chance you speak to an agent that would notice the discount and thus refuse the upgrade).
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
How about contacting the YouFirst team. Maybe they could help ?
As BA didn't call me back within 24h, as they said they would, I've decided to try this option. Emailed them as I'm in the office, fingers crossed!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by SoulFlyer
The annoying thing about all this is that it seems to be up to interpretation. Working in the law, I hate rules that aren't rules.
The official position/practice (I won't say rule, because it doesn't have a paragraph I can point you to) has long been that these cannot be UuAed. But it happens, which is obviously against the official position/practice.

In other words, if you get it through somehow, yay! If not, well, it's not meant to be done to begin with...

Originally Posted by Anonba
You cant Uua on a BT/IT fare is it possible that the Aarp discount is through a bulk or deal ticket like this? This is my guess as to why you are being told no.

Silly question to ask maybe, just im aware of what aarp discount is but bookings are rare so dont think ive actually seem/changed one.
They're Closed User Group fares, (like Hotlines). The discounted fare is visible on the etkt - if you're lucky the fare basis will have UQ on the end, otherwise you're hoping the contract number is still in the SK element when trying to reprice...

The silly part of this is that corporate discounted fares and Holidays fares can be UuAed - why not the direct private fares (AARP, Hotline, etc). Same idea really...
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
TL;DR version: Got the upgrade.

Just wanted to follow back on to this - after a few more days of back and forth with the India call center, I finally got a call from someone @ BA who had some authority (though I still believe they were in the India Call Center).

The person apologized profusely for all of my time that BA had wasted thus far. Explained that they had done their research and though they couldn't find a single written rule (or memo) saying they shouldn't UuA an AARP Fare, it was that call center's policy not to process them because discount+discount = no, and they consider an upgrade a discount.

Regardless, he was going to process the upgrade through. First, because the very first person said it could be done and only back-tracked after I had already transferred the AMEX miles. In his own words "If one of our staff tells you they'll do something, we're going to do it." Secondly, he referred back to the AARP rule 10 itself where it says
"All rules of any fare purchased apply, including advance purchase, minimum/maximum stay, stopovers, weekend add-ons, change fees and cancellation/refund rules. Please refer to individual rules per ticket before purchase."
Granted, he said, it's right below the "not combinable with other discounts/deal" but if a UuA isn't a discount/deal (especially since you're paying for it) then the fare is, in fact, an upgradeable fare. He also mentioned that the computers didn't dis-allow it at all, but they show "discounted fare" on the screen, which is why the staff won't push process an upgrade (before I let him go, he clarified that yes, if anyone had actually pushed the button it would have gone through fine).

He mentioned that he's requested clarification from HQ on this rule, but as a one-time courtesy, they were processing the upgrade. A couple hours later I got confirmation in my email that my one leg had been upgraded to F, and the 25K miles were deducted from my account.

Whether or not it will ever be upgradeable again is anyone's guess (probably not if you're just a lowly BA Executive Club Zero-miler and have to go through the general call-center, like me) but in the end my polite persistence paid off.

I know I'm late posting this, but I wanted to come and add some closure to this thread anyway now that I had a spare moment.

I'll be in LHR on 12/26 for like 7 hours and on 12/31, too for another 5. PM me if you're around, maybe we can grab a pint and swap stories.

Cheers,
-SF
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
This is a great result for you. With an ever increasing number of discount options available in BAs pricing it would seem like they are potentially throwing some revenue opportunity away by not allowing upgrades. Polite persistence has certainly paid off here, however I can't imagine how many wasted hours have been spent by yourself and BA trying to resolve this.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by SoulFlyer
TL;DR version: Got the upgrade.

Just wanted to follow back on to this - after a few more days of back and forth with the India call center, I finally got a call from someone @ BA who had some authority (though I still believe they were in the India Call Center).

The person apologized profusely for all of my time that BA had wasted thus far. Explained that they had done their research and though they couldn't find a single written rule (or memo) saying they shouldn't UuA an AARP Fare, it was that call center's policy not to process them because discount+discount = no, and they consider an upgrade a discount.

Regardless, he was going to process the upgrade through. First, because the very first person said it could be done and only back-tracked after I had already transferred the AMEX miles. In his own words "If one of our staff tells you they'll do something, we're going to do it." Secondly, he referred back to the AARP rule 10 itself where it says

Granted, he said, it's right below the "not combinable with other discounts/deal" but if a UuA isn't a discount/deal (especially since you're paying for it) then the fare is, in fact, an upgradeable fare. He also mentioned that the computers didn't dis-allow it at all, but they show "discounted fare" on the screen, which is why the staff won't push process an upgrade (before I let him go, he clarified that yes, if anyone had actually pushed the button it would have gone through fine).

He mentioned that he's requested clarification from HQ on this rule, but as a one-time courtesy, they were processing the upgrade. A couple hours later I got confirmation in my email that my one leg had been upgraded to F, and the 25K miles were deducted from my account.

Whether or not it will ever be upgradeable again is anyone's guess (probably not if you're just a lowly BA Executive Club Zero-miler and have to go through the general call-center, like me) but in the end my polite persistence paid off.

I know I'm late posting this, but I wanted to come and add some closure to this thread anyway now that I had a spare moment.

I'll be in LHR on 12/26 for like 7 hours and on 12/31, too for another 5. PM me if you're around, maybe we can grab a pint and swap stories.

Cheers,
-SF
From what you have said it has been confirmed it cant be done. All that is happening is that BA are honouring a mistake by the first agent because you were initially told it could be done.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:59 am

Hi all - sorry for resurrecting an old post. Trying to UUA WT-WTP (N fare) and can't do it online. Rang once and was told that only the outbound was UUA-able and the return (which I'm trying to do) wasn't. I don't see this in the AARP terms at all? Am I correct in just applying HUACA tactics or is there a strategy I should take? Twitter team quoted me (having gotten my booking ref) for the correct amount and didn't raise a problem at all. A bit lost... thanks in advance.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lostinlondon
Hi all - sorry for resurrecting an old post. Trying to UUA WT-WTP (N fare) and can't do it online. Rang once and was told that only the outbound was UUA-able and the return (which I'm trying to do) wasn't. I don't see this in the AARP terms at all? Am I correct in just applying HUACA tactics or is there a strategy I should take? Twitter team quoted me (having gotten my booking ref) for the correct amount and didn't raise a problem at all. A bit lost... thanks in advance.
What was the reason given for not being able to UuA the inbound? If the agent is claiming it is due to AARP presumably both outbound and inbound should not be upgradeable.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
What was the reason given for not being able to UuA the inbound? If the agent is claiming it is due to AARP presumably both outbound and inbound should not be upgradeable.
I rang the UK silver number (studying in the UK so there now/haven't got a US phone) and he mentioned because it was booked under the "retiree" rate. Didn't seem he was very familiar with the AARP discount, understandably so. Confused me though as to why it would only apply to one leg if that really was the case and not just he BA systems acting up.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: All the best ones.
If there is no award availability (check online award availability for the class you wish to upgrade too for your flight) then it cannot be upgraded by any agent due to lack of availability, except a GGL may use a Joker.

BA can deny an Avios or GUF upgrade on a discounted ticket (eg AARP, Chase 10% off), and sometimes BA does not.
If the discount is preventing the upgrade, the easy solution is to repay the amount of the discount back to BA (painful I know!), so the ticket is no longer discounted, and to ask the agent to go ahead and process the upgrade.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Peter M
If there is no award availability (check online award availability for the class you wish to upgrade too for your flight) then it cannot be upgraded by any agent due to lack of availability, except a GGL may use a Joker.

BA can deny an Avios or GUF upgrade on a discounted ticket (eg AARP, Chase 10% off), and sometimes BA does not.
If the discount is preventing the upgrade, the easy solution is to repay the amount of the discount back to BA (painful I know!), so the ticket is no longer discounted, and to ask the agent to go ahead and process the upgrade.
There is, indeed, availability. Will see what the Twitter team say? It's only the WT 'discount' so just $37.50 if I have to pay it back. Frustrating considering it's not written, the return vs outbound isn't clear, and that I'm pretty sure I've UUA-ed before on an AARP ticket.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: All the best ones.
If there's upgrade availability move fast and call reservations!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Peter M
If there's upgrade availability move fast and call reservations!
Just off the phone. The (very kind!) agent mentioned that I was on a discounted fare so had to check re: that. Was expecting the change in taxes + the $37.50 but he came back with the originally estimated amount (just under $100).

Guess the old HUACA one has done it again. Thanks KARFA and Peter M for your guidance!
ExpatExp and KARFA like this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:03 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
FYI: Latest Avios Upgrade on AARP discounted fare request was denied by both representative in Germany and supervisor in England. This denial after I was given the go ahead and transfered the points into my Avios account. I am quite upset. I don't see anything in the terms and conditions about not being upgradable. If you look you will see about 18 months ago I did successfully upgrade an AARP discount segment. Grrr. Now I have 60k orphan points in my Avios account FYI here are the terms and conditions.The exclusive discounts as indicated on this offer page are available online to AARP members only via the dedicated link on this page when booking a round-trip through fare (round-trip flights with connection to final destination, separate tickets do not qualify for discount) from select US gateways to UK and beyond. Not too happy at the moment with BA. Very customer unfriendly. Inconsistent and unclear at best.

Terms and Conditions:
1. Customer must be an AARP member or must travel with an AARP member to be eligible for this exclusive offer.

2. The exclusive discounts are based on round-trip purchase off any published retail World Traveller (economy), World Traveller Plus (premium economy), Club World (business class) or First fares that are greater than the relevant discount for the class of travel on ba.com via the exclusive link, valid for outbound travel February 1, 2017 – December 31, 2018 on British Airways and British Airways codeshare services operated by American Airlines and on British Airways codeshare services operated by Iberia only. Inbound and outbound travel must be booked in the same cabin.

3. American Airlines and American Eagle flights with a BA flight number that connect to BA operated, AA operated with BA flight numbers and IB operated with BA flight numbers transatlantic flights are permitted.

4. Discount does not apply to open jaw journey (only round-trip with same origin and destination permitted).

5. The exclusive discounts will not apply if booked through a British Airways call centre or travel agent.

6. The exclusive discounts cannot be retroactively applied to bookings NOT made through the exclusive link, ba.com/aarp.

7. All discounted fares will be highlighted with a red ‘Discount’.

8. For new bookings only made February 1, 2017 - January 31, 2018.

9. This offer is not combinable with any other discount or deal.

10. All rules of any fare purchased apply, including advance purchase, minimum/maximum stay, stopovers, weekend add-ons, change fees and cancellation/refund rules. Please refer to individual rules per ticket before purchase.

11. Executive Club members can earn Avios per the terms and conditions of the Executive Club.

12. This exclusive AARP member offer is open to US residents paying in US dollars only, with travel originating in the US.

13. Subject to availability.

14. This offer may be modified, withdrawn or limited by British Airways without notice.

15. Other significant restrictions may apply.

AARP member benefits are provided by third parties, not by AARP or its affiliates. British Airways pays a royalty fee to AARP for the use of AARP’s intellectual property. These fees are used for the general purposes of AARP. AARP benefits and offers are subject to change. Please contact British Airways directly for details.

© 2016 British Airways PLC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.