Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-(in J)-HEL-(in Y)-TLL, 200TPs, £232 return, inc AY A350

Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Please refer to the wiki in this companion thread for more information.
Print Wikipost

LHR-(in J)-HEL-(in Y)-TLL, 200TPs, £232 return, inc AY A350

Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Hodders
If the GoSleep pods are available (is Tallinn airport open overnight?) then they’re actually pretty good. They’re nothing like a hotel room obviously, but for a few hours worth I find them pretty good for somewhere slightly dark to have a nap, with the benefit that any belongings can be stored more safely. When I’ve had shortish overnight connections at Helsinki I’ve used them in preference to paying for a hotel for just a few hours sleep, and would definitely recommend them, especially if you have lounge access and so access to a shower to freshen yourself up.
Having a quick Google, it seems that if you have a boarding pass for an early morning flight, security are fine with you staying airside.
Really depends on how cold it is outside but sure it hit -5C overnight when I was there in January.
It will be something to tick off my bucket list at the very least.

Are the breakfasts out of HEL still the same? Hoping they're not as bad as whatever we were served on the flight back after the May meet-up.

Also, I'm trying to choose seats and get this message from the AY website:
"Unfortunately you cannot select a seat on this flight until your travel class upgrade is confirmed"

Last edited by xenole; Nov 23, 2017 at 2:45 am
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Had a bit of mild panic last weekend when we were stood at the steps of the ATR72 at TLL, in the rain and very cold wind to be told the plane had gone tech. Back to the bottom of the stairs for a bit, then all back upstairs to the gate. It wasn't looking good. One person insisted he was going back to the lounge, despite last time this happened he missed his flight as they didn't make an announcement. So two mins after he walked off, it was all ok and we were heading back to the plane, and a delay of around 40 mins, so made it to the 8am flight back to LHR.

Looking forward to my final TLL trip in a few weeks, as I decided not to do the 06:10 flight and I'll get to sample the breakfast at the Hilton for once, along with the new lounge at T3 hopefully.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I did my TLL run at the weekend.

The outward journey, on the A350, was comfortable and quiet, with decent Wi-Fi, although the service and food were nothing special.

The return, on an A321, was dreadful. Bussed to the plane (in the rain), an old, noisy cabin that made BA's Club Europe product look positively luxurious, cabin crew who were constantly flapping - opening cupboards, closing them, opening them again, dropping things, closing the curtain, opening it again, closing it again, constantly up and down the aisle (knocking against me every time they passed), making the whole operation look anything but professional - and a meal that would not have looked out of place in a long-haul economy cabin.

Yes, it was 200 TPs and a hotel for well under £250, and I accept that the misery of a TP run is the price you pay for continued status benefits, but I won't be hurrying to travel with Finnair again.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Misco60
I did my TLL run at the weekend.

The outward journey, on the A350, was comfortable and quiet, with decent Wi-Fi, although the service and food were nothing special.

The return, on an A321, was dreadful. Bussed to the plane (in the rain), an old, noisy cabin that made BA's Club Europe product look positively luxurious, cabin crew who were constantly flapping - opening cupboards, closing them, opening them again, dropping things, closing the curtain, opening it again, closing it again, constantly up and down the aisle (knocking against me every time they passed), making the whole operation look anything but professional - and a meal that would not have looked out of place in a long-haul economy cabin.

Yes, it was 200 TPs and a hotel for well under £250, and I accept that the misery of a TP run is the price you pay for continued status benefits, but I won't be hurrying to travel with Finnair again.
Thanks for your report, Misco60. I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your flights with Finnair. HEL is currently undergoing expansion and a couple of gates are now unavailable. At certain times of the day the schengen area gets packed with international flights, mostly leaving to Asia, therefore some short haul (and long haul, too) flights leave from remote stands. However, this will hopefully be over once the expansion is complete.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:39 am

I thought that deal had gone? Is it still bookable? How? I am 200 short of renewing Gold by February 😕
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by hypercrypt
I thought that deal had gone? Is it still bookable? How? I am 200 short of renewing Gold by February 😕
Yes, the deal is gone - it was pulled around June, I think (would have to check back through the thread to be certain).

But if you booked it before then, you could be traveling any time up to the same time next year.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by hypercrypt
Probably the people who are flying now had booked it months ago.

The £230 fare is gone.

You can fly LHR-HEL-TLL-LHR for £359 (140TP) or LHR-HEL-TLL-HEL-LHR for £490 (200TP).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:04 am

Makes sense. Thank you
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:12 am

I booked my final fare, that I'm using this weekend, back in January.
Really do wish I had booked more as only been twice and close to £2.50/TP isn't quite as good value now. That said, may schedule a visit when it gets warmer but possibly using the ferry from Helsinki.

Well, one fare was £270 rather than £232 as I added domestic connections.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by florens
HEL is currently undergoing expansion and a couple of gates are now unavailable. At certain times of the day the schengen area gets packed with international flights, mostly leaving to Asia, therefore some short haul (and long haul, too) flights leave from remote stands. However, this will hopefully be over once the expansion is complete.
Helsinki Airport was, by far, the most impressive aspect of the entire trip. Last time I was in Helsinki, almost 20 years ago, the airport was (if I recall correctly) a grim, claustrophobic place - today it's one of the most stylish and attractive airports I've ever used. Both lounges were superb, with very good food and drink, and very lightly-used, too (although as I was leaving to get the flight to London the lounge was starting to get busy and the queue stretched quite a way down the corridor).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
@xenole
If you are still thinking about TLL airport overnight - it is fine. I have done it 3 times without incident.
First time I went landside because I was tamely following everyone else. Several people were camped out there for the night, it was nice and warm and no one official showed any interest. I think the security opened about 4.00am.
2nd time I asked a bemused police lady if it was ok to stay airside and she said yes. 3rd time I didn't bother to ask.
There are some annoying announcements at regular intervals about keeping your luggage with you at all times. Plenty of benches to lie on some of which are softer than others. Didn't try the pods.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Helsinki Airport was, by far, the most impressive aspect of the entire trip. Last time I was in Helsinki, almost 20 years ago, the airport was (if I recall correctly) a grim, claustrophobic place - today it's one of the most stylish and attractive airports I've ever used. Both lounges were superb, with very good food and drink, and very lightly-used, too (although as I was leaving to get the flight to London the lounge was starting to get busy and the queue stretched quite a way down the corridor).
Ok, then I misunderstood you. I like HEL too, even though it gets very busy now during the peak (morning, late afternoon). I thought you were complaining about the bus transfer, too, that's why I thought I'd give an explanation.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Iamnotlost
@xenole
If you are still thinking about TLL airport overnight - it is fine. I have done it 3 times without incident.
First time I went landside because I was tamely following everyone else. Several people were camped out there for the night, it was nice and warm and no one official showed any interest. I think the security opened about 4.00am.
2nd time I asked a bemused police lady if it was ok to stay airside and she said yes. 3rd time I didn't bother to ask.
There are some annoying announcements at regular intervals about keeping your luggage with you at all times. Plenty of benches to lie on some of which are softer than others. Didn't try the pods.
Got my Bose earphones so that may cut a bit of noise. Will probably listen to some music or something.
If it turns out to be freakishly warm outside, may take a walk into town, but I'm sure I'll be sitting 4hrs or so in the airport as an experience. Done JFK, SFO and SJU before so hopefully this won't be too bad.

HEL is a nice airport except for a few chokepoints during busy times.
Hopefully no bus gate as usual for the A350. No problems with the HEL-TLL plane - like the novelty of walking outside to it. Makes a change from some of these half mile long walkways.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC
but I won't be hurrying to travel with Finnair again.
I'm sorry to hear this, it certainly doesn't reflect my own experiences on this run which I did twice this year. The first trip was on an A320 in 2A and the second on an A321 in 1A. Admittedly we were bussed to the A321 but it was ok and the service was good on both flights. I thought there was more leg room in 2A than a similar BA aircraft and although the food didn't look too impressive, it was tasty and filling.

In contrast, I would certainly fly Finnair again.
florens likes this.

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Dec 6, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Does anyone else find Finnair's puddings absolutely hopeless? Three chocolates after lunch and then a Mr Kipling-esque fruit filled pie after supper. The rest of the meal I think is excellent. Maybe the Finns don't have sweet teeth?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.