Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is paying for an upgrade before or after ticketing the same

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:46 am
Original Poster

I am currently looking at the price for 3 days CW trip LHR-PEK-LHR. The price at the moment to upgrade both sectors to FIRST is £165 which I am happy to pay out of my own pocket. I cannot have it ticketed in FIRST due to reimbursement rules. Will it still be £165 after I have it ticketed in CW and then immediately of into my MMB and do an upgrade for cash.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:56 am

Do you mean to book F in the the first place is £165 more than CW? and are wondering if this price difference would apply if you were to book CW and then upgrade to F in MMB? My guess, would be No. the price to upgrade in MMB will be much higher.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Are you sure you are not looking at a price difference only? Sometimes there is little difference in price between Club World and First. BUT if it is an non-upgradeable ticket then you cannot upgrade it after you have bought the ticket.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Or it might be changeable/upgradeable, but you'll have to pay the change fee.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:44 pm

I once booked a CW fare and one of my FT chums pointed out that F was little more on my flights. So I called in within the 24 hour period, explained the situation to the agent and she sorted it out with no change fee.

I have no idea if that is policy or an agent doing me a favour but it worked for me.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah indeed! Yes, that is policy, within 24 hours as long as your first flight is not within 7 days.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
Ah indeed! Yes, that is policy, within 24 hours as long as your first flight is not within 7 days.
There is no restriction on how soon the outbound flight is in terms of days fir the policy. You get a correction policy within 24 hours of having made the booking where service fee and change fee are waived.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavajava
Do you mean to book F in the the first place is £165 more than CW? and are wondering if this price difference would apply if you were to book CW and then upgrade to F in MMB? My guess, would be No. the price to upgrade in MMB will be much higher.
Yes, the price of FIRST is only £165 more than the CW fare but I am not allowed to get reimbursement for a FIRST ticket. SO I would like to get a recipe for the CW fare and then upgrade.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dermot
Yes, the price of FIRST is only £165 more than the CW fare but I am not allowed to get reimbursement for a FIRST ticket. SO I would like to get a recipe for the CW fare and then upgrade.
I'd follow the advice above. book it, get the receipt then change it (or cancel and rebook). BUT beware fare rules. That first ticket might be more restricted than the CW. and if a change does have to happen you might find yourself in a sticky spot.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anonba
There is no restriction on how soon the outbound flight is in terms of days fir the policy. You get a correction policy within 24 hours of having made the booking where service fee and change fee are waived.
Oh! Is the 7 day requirement just for cancellations then, or am I confusing airlines?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:50 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MPH1980
[...] book it, get the receipt then change it (or cancel and rebook)
Changing the booking would probably not cause any problems with most employers or auditors, although Dermot should not assume that the low-priced F availability he's seeing now will still be there an hour or a day later when he calls to change his ticket. But cancelling and rebooking with the intention of using the receipt from a cancelled ticket to claim reimbursement would be highly irregular.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
I have the same problem with my company in that I am not allowed to book the cheap F even if it is less than the CW, and it sometimes is. I have to get the ticket issued and then seek out the upgrade and it is rarely the same as the difference in price and often not available.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The only work around I have, is that you ask the travel agent to write up an invoice for the CW part of the fare and then you pay the fare difference - watch out for are the fares the same in terms of changes and cancellations.

I would find it irregular and problematic to submit a receipt for a cancelled fare.

Or depending on who your boss is or your relationship with finance just tell them you wish to pay the fare difference. Also watch the optics, sometimes hard to explain if you are "seen" in the wrong cabin.

KF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.